Forum Index > Trail Talk > Zoom>>>, the snowpack likely returns to normal this week.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 11:20 am 
Up until January 1st, the snowpack was in the area of 50% of normal according to climatology at NWAC. But as of this morning snow depths at Baker and Paradise are already at levels of about normal. Snowfall this week could run to 100" in those two areas. Of course, new snow has lower density and it will settle, but could still be somewhat above normal by next weekend even with settlement. But a big question remains and that is how warm it gets today and tonight in the mountains. Temperatures are already in the 27-29 degree range at elevation and will climb further. The freezing level should be at 6300' mid-day and 6700' by 10pm. So, will it stay snow at 4500 to 5500'? We'll see in the next few hours most likely. I see water on the Crystal Mountain base webcam right now, but it is likely still wettish snow there.....

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 11:29 am 
It was big fluffy powdery flaked at Snoqualmie, sometimes coming down so hard they'd obscure nearby trees. Turned to rain sound the Denny Creek exit.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 1:16 pm 
Below normal temps for at least the next 10 days with plenty of precip around. Let the ski season begin! 2 feet today at stevens, a foot at snoq... there will be some annoying rain for the next day or so but then back to snow.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 1:28 pm 
Steadily coming down here at Priest Lake, probably got a foot overnight and today. Time to fire up the sleds!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 1:32 pm 
Colder temps (I'd call them more normal temps) are predicted for next week on this side. If you travel to the Methow, make sure your vehicle is winterized for coldness. I need to check for water bottles in my little truck. I forget about them. It used to be a form of entertainment to watch the "coastie" cars get towed or jumped. --no offense meant, that's what it was and the term is still used. Still not enough snow at the Loup. https://skitheloup.com/loup-loup-mountain-cams/

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 2:10 pm 
Yes, looks like have what we skiers call a "base building event" going on right now!
treeswarper wrote:
It used to be a form of entertainment to watch the "coastie" cars get towed or jumped.
I would think it still is... For similar entertainment, I90 east was closed over Snoqualmie Pass yet again yesterday for a while due to spun out cars. I'm guessing though that any truck drivers trying to make their way over the pass weren't wildly amused... Seems like we are getting these spinout induced closures more often in the past few years.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 4:02 pm 
Yup, and the clowns were chaining up en masse at North Bend, and then driving slowly on bare pavement for a dozen miles to the snow near exit 47.

Downhill

Downhill
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 4:27 pm 
I live in the Icicle canyon and got about 10" overnight. But, this morning at about 9:00 it turned to rain and it has been raining since. NOAA weather shows the freezing level at 4800 this afternoon, going up to 5400 tonight and back to 4800 tomorrow. Temps back below freezing sometime on Wednesday. Yuck

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 4:36 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Yup, and the clowns were chaining up en masse at North Bend, and then driving slowly on bare pavement for a dozen miles to the snow near exit 47.
Y'always see this phenomenon happening when snow becomes a threat! Unique to the pac northwest vicinities. One time I saw sparks flyin' on 405 in bellevue

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 10:33 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
At least they were driving slowly with chains on. A chained up truck flew by me on one winter drive. The highway was washboardy packed snow. Had a chain flown off, it might have been bad. I was going at a safe, snow speed in my trusty Subaru. One is supposed to drive slow when chains are on. I suspect trucks were chaining up in North Bend because it might be a good spot to do so.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 9:45 am 
We had about a foot yesterday but it's back to mostly bare ground today. Got in a little skiing while it lasted.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 11:41 am 
I'll take "clowns" chaining up in North Bend and slowing traffic a bit on the bare pavement leading up to the icy highway over fools not ever chaining up and closing a major interstate used for both recreation and a LOT of commercial traffic for HOURS.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 11:54 am 
Excessive road wear causes massive delays too, in the summer for maintenance. Theres a proper middle ground of course. Chain up just before the road gets steep. The clowns should be instructed to chain up at exit 47 and not before. Theres plenty of room there with the big shoulder and the exit ramps and its side roads.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 12:36 pm 
Downhill wrote:
I live in the Icicle canyon and got about 10" overnight. But, this morning at about 9:00 it turned to rain and it has been raining since. NOAA weather shows the freezing level at 4800 this afternoon, going up to 5400 tonight and back to 4800 tomorrow. Temps back below freezing sometime on Wednesday. Yuck
Same here at about 2800' in the Idaho Panhandle, we had nice powdery snow last night too.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 12:36 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Excessive road wear causes massive delays too, in the summer for maintenance.Theres a proper middle ground of course. Chain up just before the road gets steep.The clowns should be instructed to chain up at exit 47 and not before.
Yes, no question. That said, I'm noticing many hours of 100% road stoppage on a frequent basis in recent winters due to the "fools." I do wonder at the degree of economic loss. I haven't actually seen that many of the "clowns" you describe on my trips to the Pass, to be honest. At least my anecdotal experience suggests that said road damage is likely minimal.