Forum Index > Trail Talk > Backpacking Food
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:06 pm 
Last year I dehydrated cooked spaghetti and spaghetti sauce as well as lean ground beef. Added some dehydrated vegetables and whole thing was great when I rehydrated either by cold soaking or heating in a pot while hiking. Anyone have any favorite tips for easy meals on the trail?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 4:44 pm 
Bernardo: A few years back I posted several recipes using my dehdrator HERE There's are several links to "dehydrator" threads in a post HERE Also check out nwhikers member sarbar's website at trailcooking.com - She is unquestionably the "trail cooking diva" and really knows the ins and outs of all things dehydrated, easy to make, and good to eat. Bon Appétit! wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 8:25 pm 
You can get dried cheese tortellinis in a box at the grocery store (Napolean brand.) Bring a little olive oil and pesto sauce mix powder and a can of smoked clams and a couple tablespoons of grated parmesan. Yum. I'm also partial to a Spam single cut into little cubes and mixed in with some Annies Mac & Cheese. I buy the microwave kind because all you have to do is put the noodles in the measured water, bring the water up to a boil then shut off the heat. You can use other kinds of preserved or dehydrated meat if Spam isn't your thing. Backcountry pizza is easy if you're carrying a frying pan which I often do. Bring a flatbread/pita, some dehydrated sauce, whatever toppings seem reasonable (sun dried tomatos, pepperoni, sunflower seeds, etc.), and more grated parmesan or some other relatively hard cheese. You can also just use olive oil instead of tomato sauce. Quesadillas are another easy one with the fry pan, though a bit heavier than some other options. These days I almost always carry some thoroughly cooked ground beef, italian sausage, or chorizo, a few eggs, cheese, and a couple tortillas to make either quesadillas or breakfast burritos.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 7:43 am 
I often spent more than a day camping near the wilderness boundary up canyon creek (my fav place). I took flour to make bannock for several meals with my bacon/bean soup,

80skeys

80skeys
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 5:18 pm 
Bernardo wrote:
Last year I dehydrated cooked spaghetti and spaghetti sauce as well as lean ground beef. Added some dehydrated vegetables and whole thing was great when I rehydrated either by cold soaking or heating in a pot while hiking. Anyone have any favorite tips for easy meals on the trail?
* Idahoan brand dehydrated Homestyle buttery mashed potatoes, they come in different flavors, cheesy, plain, etc