Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > broken headphone leads
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 06, 2020 7:07 pm 
^ That's also true of some classical recordings. I was overjoyed to discover my favorite Bach organ piece by the organist whose interpretation I loved was available from an online small biz where the owner collected and sold old classic vinyl. But even that guy made me a CD of the vinyl when I ordered it. He's doing amazing public service.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
BTW- speaking of "nostalgic attachment to caveman artifacts", some of us boomers fail to appreciate the younger folks' current fascination with clearly inferior technology - e.g. vinyl records. I get that there's compression with CD's, but it seems a fair tradeoff for getting rid of pops, scratchy sound and a recording method that wears out.
Some consider CD's caveman artifacts.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 9:36 am 
FWIW: My grandniece (22yo) was super excited to receive a turn table as a gift this year. What funny is that is is bluetooth enabled -- which makes sense as it is far easier to pickup bluetooth speakers than an amp and speakers.

runup

runup
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 pm 
neek wrote:
You old guys and your nostalgic attachment to caveman artifacts crack me up. My can opener is IoT-compliant, 5G-ready, equipped with a 40 megapixel 360 degree camera and enhanced AI to recognize both operator and target with 99.9% accuracy and adjust performance and user interface parameters automatically. Furthermore it was made from recycled baby diapers which would otherwise be sitting in a landfill right now, hand-crafted in an obscure African village that was pulled out of extreme poverty when the Kickstarter-backed founders recognized the extreme win-win potential of the situation. It was only $999 on Amazon, delivered by drone before I even clicked "confirm". This P38 nonsense... well that's about as backwards as using your own two feet to get around. You know where that metal comes from, right? Anyway, carry on. I've got some cans to open.
biggrin.gif biggrin.gif up.gif Ha! Well done neek. As you were.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostTue Jan 07, 2020 8:45 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Some consider CD's caveman artifacts
Replaced by what? "The cloud"? All downloaded to your phone? Someday one's relative "disconnection" from the web and low "google-able" profile will be something of value to more than just some of us boomers. Privacy rocks! cool.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:15 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
Replaced by what? "The cloud"? All downloaded to your phone? Someday one's relative "disconnection" from the web and low "google-able" profile will be something of value to more than just some of us boomers. Privacy rocks! cool.gif
Not disagreeing AE. While I have music downloaded on my computer to toss on an old iPod, 99+% of it comes from CDs I've already purchased. Tapes before that. And albums before that. But I'm well into my 50's and a slow adopter. I'm just pointing out that as technology changes so does the way "most" do things. And I'm willing to admit that the way I do things (and the ruts I'm stuck in) are not the only, nor necessarily the best, way of doing thing. Sounds like you transitioned from albums to tapes to CDs... But you stopped there. I have younger friends and coworkers who don't even "own" digitized music stored in the cloud or downloaded to one of their devices. They just stream, and maybe download temporarily if they plan to be out of range of any service. They don't see the point in acquiring more and more "stuff" if it's not needed. Same pattern happening for viewing on TV where there's been a transition from broadcast to tapes to DVDs to streaming. I still have a VCR and DVD player, and have never subscribed to any streaming service. But I'll probably eventually try, as access to content seems much cleaner and easier. I've got to admit that my "physical" collection of both music and movies takes up a lot of precious space in my fairly small house...

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:54 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
I value physical media because it cannot be yanked from afar or disconnected by weather, system failures, etc. Our power goes out with regularity, as does the interwebs. There is no cell at home, which is fantastic on so many levels (the infernal text me back now, pinging and dinging I get in town totally ceases on the way up the hill) , and cell only works semi reliably down the hill along the river anyway. The new flat panels draw much less current than the old TVs, when the power is out I run a cord from the inverter in my truck and can watch movies and listen to tunes as well. Buying used gets great content at rock bottom prices, so it's not like it costs more. CDs, DVD's are typically under 5 bucks for example, and 2 bucks at thrift stores.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Damian

Damian
PostWed Jan 08, 2020 10:22 am 
I agree there is something austere and reliable about CD's or vinyl. Perhaps it's because the experience will have zero delays, surprises, interruptions, or advertising snuck in. Maybe there's also a psychological benefit to attaching good feelings with a material object that includes physical art. I do miss vinyl album art. Also, I buy to a lot of obscure music from street musicians and other sources wihch are not available anyplace. CD's are the only option here. But I've also grown to embrace the algorythms that music providers use to offer music suggestions. They are downright brilliant. It has exposed me to tons of new stuff I never would have heard. So a composite solution seems best for me.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:36 am 
Anne Elk wrote:
JonnyQuest wrote:
Well, young people overwhelmingly prefer streaming services and cloud storage. I'm somewhat stumped as to why. However, I do also consider CDs to be caveman technology. I play one CD a year, and that CD is one that a friend of mine makes. He makes one every year for us to listen to on our annual camping trip/party in the woods - original music that he writes and composes, comedy, and other music that he thinks fits the overall theme of his creation for that year. Pretty good stuff. I still own all of my old CDs. They're in boxes up in my attic. I've expanded my music collection significantly since I ripped the last of those CDs to high quality MP3s by buying songs that I like from Amazon. All of my music is stored on my computer's hard drive which is backed up AND on a mini SD card in my phone. I can carry my entire music collection, the equivalent of several hundred CDs, with me wherever I go and listen to it at any time, no internet connection required. Why on earth would I want to carry a bunch of CDs around with me? But, even this approach is now considered old school and sales of MP3 music is falling off. I do miss album art. Love old LPs, still have all of mine from the '80s and early '90s but haven't bought a new one since then, either. The music player on my phone displays album art but of course it's only as big as a phone screen so just not the same as an LP cover, especially one of those double covers that folds open like a book. I still have The Who - Quadrophenia. I think that album took album art to it's pinnacle. A concept double album with a booklet of art relating to the concept/story inside it. Anyway, as a practical medium, CDs are dead. Just no reason for them any more. LPs live on because, dammit, they're cool, but they're definitely a niche media and will remain so.