Forum Index > Trail Talk > Zoom>>>, the snowpack likely returns to normal this week.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 7:40 am 
I rode to Safeway yesterday and all was calm. I am lazy and like the salads for lazy people. They had new blends with late expiration dates so I tried the Thai salad and might ride back today and get more for the big blizzard event. (We used to call it Winter) I'm not sure if there is kale in it. There are lots of big chunks of cabbage. I failed to find any more Cosmic Crisps but, for the same expensive price, found a Sugar something variety that is OK. Pretty exciting, no?

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
neek

neek
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 8:12 am 
Sugarbee perhaps - basically a better Honeycrisp. I wouldn't worry too much about kale. Its popularity has been declining for the past few years. Brussels sprouts and spinach are making a comeback.

gb

gb
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 10:40 am 
As it stands now and just looking at NWS LocalForecasts, Paradise is currently forecast to get 113" of snow this week; Baker is in the cooler drier air and will get much less after this weekend...maybe. Also, it is currently snowing in North Seattle.....but it is unlikely to stick today.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 10:45 am 
neek wrote:
Sugarbee perhaps - basically a better Honeycrisp. I wouldn't worry too much about kale. Its popularity has been declining for the past few years. Brussels sprouts and spinach are making a comeback.
Every idea I got from health heads about kale involved 'doing something' about it's actual taste. I said why the hell wouldn't I just eat something that didn't taste like bitter dirt.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 11:22 am 
Baby kale isn't so bad--less tough and less bitter. I prefer the mixed "healthy greens" which disguise the baby kale with spinach and chard. Actually, the spinach and chard are just as healthy, taste better, and stay fresh longer (in the mixed "healthy greens," the kale turns yellow and wilts before the expiration date). I have no idea why Portland-area stores ran out of kale last winter, but the press sure made much of it, deluging us with photos of empty produce shelves with a few wilted wisps of something remaining. Evidently it made more interesting press than the accompanying shortage of beer (needed to wash down the kale, ha ha).

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 11:39 am 
Yeah, I remember the kale shortage. I annoyed the GF with an observation on how less of something so nasty was a problem. tongue.gif Well, just checked the forecast again...they've upped our snow load total projection again. Begins monday with a trace, increases every day till wed at 6.1" that day (a slight drop from previous forecast for Wed) , then 5" per day every day as far as the forecast reaches on Sat.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
neek

neek
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 11:47 am 
OK. Whoa. We're getting into contentious terrain here, and highly off topic. Better get in my two cents before we're locked. Baby kale is indeed more tender and generally better in salads. But there's so much more to it than that. First, there are many varieties of kale. Red Russian, Lacinato (the best), Curly, many more. But there's also where, when, and how it was grown. Whether or not it's been through a frost, which makes it sweeter but tougher. Whether it was previously infested with aphids, which sap the sweetness and bring out the bitter. I much prefer pretty much any type of kale over chard. When cooked, the texture is much better than spinach, which gets slimy. And if you eat a lot of spinach you definitely want to cook it to avoid ingesting too much oxalic acid. Also, what's wrong with dressing it up? Do you not "do something" about the relatively bland flavor of steak, like at least add salt and pepper, and sear it to produce delicious but carcinogenic Maillard reactions? Funny thing, my kid loves kale (cooked with garlic and lemon juice). Wouldn't say it's my favorite--if I had to choose just one leafy green, it would probably be Romaine lettuce in a ceasar salad. But whatever, I'll eat pretty much anything, and generally focus on what's freshest and cheapest vs. any specific cultivar. At least no one's mentioned iceberg lettuce, then I'd really be triggered. Talk about a worthless vegetable. Here, have some bland (but crunchy!) cellulose that's devoid of any nutritional content. So healthy! No snow in north seattle for me, but we're at 60' so no surprise. Could probably take a 15 minute walk and see some.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:00 pm 
Iceberg is the best. Discuss.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:01 pm 
It's about 35 F in Eastlake. Raining.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:16 pm 
I counted three snowflakes that fell here. It took that many for me to decide that it was snow. The blizzard is now over. We did have shortages of eggs and milk and fresh stuff last year when the passes were shut down. Since their annoying "remodel project" wallyworld has continued the bare shelf theme. The other stores are much more reliable. I The sun is out. Just go.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 2:04 pm 
First epic dump coming after a crappy start to the season. Dont be tempted into making poor avalanche choices.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 2:04 pm 
The forecast for next week here is quite chilly. Predicted highs in the single numbers, lows of 1 to -5 for Tuesday night. That's for here. The Methow and other valleys will be colder, of course. Check yer antifreeze if you are heading east. Your battery too. When it got to -27 one winter, I put a heatlamp under my pickup and a sleeping bag on the hood. That seemed to keep it going. Just like now, I was garage challenged.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 2:34 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Dont be tempted into making poor avalanche choices.
Yeah, I can feel the "scarcity heuristic" actively operating w/in my own head right now.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:28 pm 
BTW someone on my town's FB group just posted a link to the latest Cliff Mass blog, which talks about how there may be quite a lowland snow event next Weds/Thurs, but then mentions that it's too far out to tell for sure. Surely an update will be coming soon enough :-). The end times are near. Buy all the bread, milk, and American cheese.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 4:19 pm 
I'm starting to think that Big Grocery is in Cliff Mass's pockets