Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Lettuce
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 11:59 am 
God I love iceberg. Doesn't mask the toppings. Lettuce is meant to be a tasteless, crisp and crunchy platform to convey toppings from the serving system (plate, bowl, etc) to the salad hole. Romaine a close second. Nothing red, crinkly edged, soft, spinach-y, etc.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:32 pm 
Butter lettuce was pretty popular when I worked in produce, tender, not crisp and supposed to be vitamin rich and easy on the stomach. I like romaine the best especially in a Caesar salad.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
neek

neek
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:40 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
God I love iceberg. Doesn't mask the toppings. Lettuce is meant to be a tasteless, crisp and crunchy platform to convey toppings from the serving system (plate, bowl, etc) to the salad hole.
Not only is it nutritionally worthless, it's an environmental catastrophy. Yields are 16 tons per acre; a head is just 31 oz and 100 kcal so that's just a little over a million Calories per acre. Compare to corn which is 15 times that. What you're basically saying is that you want poor people to starve to death. Also, please: "G-d".
MtnGoat wrote:
Romaine a close second.
Prefer yours with a side of e.coli? Nah, romaine is ok, as long as it's that new red variety. Organic only, please.
MtnGoat wrote:
Nothing red, crinkly edged, soft, spinach-y, etc.
Yep all that junk's for the elites huh? "spinach-y", another pseudoneologism meant to mock and condescend.

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:45 pm 
Next to my wedge of iceberg (with a dollop of thousand island) I love a sizable serving of tomato aspic salad!

neek

neek
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 12:50 pm 
I hate tomatoes. Hey everyone, let's eat nightshades! Great idea!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 1:39 pm 
I'm 'basically' saying nothing of the sort. Nor is spinach-y meant to mock or condescend, it is meant as a description and only a description. Criminy, I make a separate thread to cut the drift, post a couple bland comments about how I like bland lettuce, and this is the take...how a preference is wrong because it doesn't meet some environmental or social standard of the observer. Poor people are not starving to death because someone grows iceberg. It's usually because of things we cannot discuss here. It's pretty ironic to see an effort to go along to get along turned into contention, a bland lettuce turned into claims i favor people starving to death.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 1:41 pm 
JonnyQuest wrote:
Next to my wedge of iceberg (with a dollop of thousand island) I love a sizable serving of tomato aspic salad!
Thousand island, I haven't messed with that one for a while. I'll have to grab a bottle.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 2:14 pm 
Raw baby spinach straight from the bag was something I craved from the beginning of my pregnancy to the end. That pop from the stems and the juice that came out... I have NO idea why, but it was nirvana somehow. I just kept eating them like Doritos. And yes, kid loved spinach in all forms from the minute she tried it, lol. I have limited time to devote to gardening so I usually focus on 6 heirloom tomato plants every summer, and I have it down pretty well. There is absolutely nothing like a home grown 'real' tomato... I often have so many cherry tomatoes that we do spaghetti sauce with massive quantities of them, which is stupid sweet and intensely flavored and altogether amazing.

~Mom jeans on wheels
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 2:58 pm 
Aw, a garden. Cool. Kind of interested in one, but not sure I'd actually set aside the time to tend it. Plus, the eternal fight against deer. Can't even grow sunflowers!

neek

neek
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:13 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Thousand island, I haven't messed with that one for a while. I'll have to grab a bottle.
One does not just...grab a bottle of thousand island. One swipes a few extra packets of ketchup and mayo from Mcdonalds and mixes them together in the car with one hand while driving with the other and trying to eat an iceberg-topped burger in the fewest number of bites. At least that's how it worked when I was a kid. Don't tell me the millennials have ruined that tradition too!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:19 pm 
I thought the tradition was grabbing a bottle of Wish Bone and calling it good, even if it wasn't!

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:31 pm 
Infinitely better than the pear and cottage cheese atop it that mom would force upon us. At least the dog would eat the cottage cheese when they weren't looking. . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
neek

neek
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:32 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
I'm 'basically' saying nothing of the sort. Nor is spinach-y meant to mock or condescend, it is meant as a description and only a description. Criminy, I make a separate thread to cut the drift, post a couple bland comments about how I like bland lettuce, and this is the take...how a preference is wrong because it doesn't meet some environmental or social standard of the observer. Poor people are not starving to death because someone grows iceberg. It's usually because of things we cannot discuss here. It's pretty ironic to see an effort to go along to get along turned into contention, a bland lettuce turned into claims i favor people starving to death.
OK I'm not bold enough to take my satire to this level of subtlety... tempting as it is, these days you never know who's going to take it seriously. Also iceberg lettuce sucks hahaha OK gotta run, bye!

Windstorm

Windstorm
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 3:43 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Aw, a garden. Cool. Kind of interested in one, but not sure I'd actually set aside the time to tend it. Plus, the eternal fight against deer. Can't even grow sunflowers!
At my place, I was mostly worried about the rabbit I'd seen in the yard, although deer are a possibility as well. I made a garden cover using deer netting with a pvc pipe frame and a drawstring that mostly closed the top. When I wanted to water/weed/harvest, I would release the drawstring and lower the netting. For the next variation, I might go with a frame that can just be lifted off the garden. It might not work for sunflowers because they're so tall, but it was great for normal height vegetables, although the cucumbers kept trying to get tangled in the netting.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 4:35 pm 
I take MASSIVE issue with wedge salads!! Always have. All it is is they don't want to do the work of chopping it up!! Leaving that to the customer. Entirely unacceptable!! Just pourin' ranch over a big chunk of iceberg and markin' it up!!! Like its fancy or something!!! Iceberg and ranch is what guys pair with dominos pizza and 32oz baja blasts in messy apartments littered with bongs, etc