Forum Index > Trail Talk > Zoom>>>, the snowpack likely returns to normal this week.
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 6:45 pm 
How many lettuce/salad threads do we need? hmmm.gif I keep checking for snow this Sunday...in Green Bay, Wisconsin! Go ‘Hawks! drink.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 7:31 pm 
If we go on about it here, there'd be complaining about drift. I play by the suggested rules, make a new thread to offload the drift, then you complain about too many threads. The actual problem is obvious.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
rossb

rossb
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 11:21 pm 
I skied Kendall Lake Road yesterday, and I don't think I've seen it quite like that. No poop (that is a different thread). What I was was plenty of bare ground next to four foot piles of firm snow. It kinda makes sense given the winter we've had. We really didn't have a tolerant base to begin with, so the warmth melted some areas to the ground. I think some of these bare spots were essentially streams, so the water washed away the wet snow. But nearby, the snow just got heavier. It was strange skiing, as there were big piles in places, and nothing in others. Anyway, I hope it all gets buried soon. While I was skiing I noticed the temperatures dropping. Towards the afternoon it was snowing hard. Still not a lot of new snow (five inches, apparently) but at least it is cold. It should get another foot or so pretty soon. I do think this will be a weird year as far as snowpack, with some lower elevation places having hardly anything, and some higher places having a ton. It may all average out (we've barely started winter) but so far that is what it looks like.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 11:38 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
If we go on about it here, there'd be complaining about drift. I play by the suggested rules, make a new thread to offload the drift, then you complain about too many threads. The actual problem is obvious.
I agree. Some simply have egos that are too large to fit within the sites bandwidth. wink.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 7:43 am 
We got about 2 "s in may creek yesterday morning that melted by afternoon. It never changed to rain. Woke up to another inch today. I fear are remaining lettuce in the garden is frozen. The kale might survive.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 7:53 am 
Kale is tough or was it chard? It survived all year in my west side garden but was too tough to eat. It was kind of pretty. No snow here yet. They've upped the amount. I'll get my Barbie Snow Gauges ready.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
gb

gb
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 8:50 am 
rossb wrote:
Anyway, I hope it all gets buried soon. While I was skiing I noticed the temperatures dropping. Towards the afternoon it was snowing hard. Still not a lot of new snow (five inches, apparently) but at least it is cold. It should get another foot or so pretty soon. I do think this will be a weird year as far as snowpack, with some lower elevation places having hardly anything, and some higher places having a ton. It may all average out (we've barely started winter) but so far that is what it looks like.
It certainly is, cold and snowy in very early October, then basically nothing but for a two foot storm in December below 4500-6500' and that with torrential rains. And now this. The amount of snowfall looks phenomenal especially at Rainier. Avalanche hazard will be tricky because in some areas there was ice from the last rain and a minimal transition to shallow low density snow. That was subjected to cold temperatures which should make the bond worse. Now a big dump of cold snow, especially problematic with forecast winds. Persistent slab with cold temperatures. At higher elevations - like 4700' at Baker, 4800-5800' in the Central Cascades, and maybe 6000-6500' at Paradise the bond should be somewhat better without the ice problem, but we will still see persistent windslab from the coming snow and wind.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 11:12 am 
I'm less than a rank amateur at judging avalanche hazards. BUT.... from what I can tell we've got a big hunk of hard frozen icy crud, rain +freeze +wind polish over the top of that, and now the promise of a big ol' pile o' powder on top. I'm not planning on taking any chances any time soon, and I would not be surprised if that unstable layer remains a problem through the season. That's one moron's take on it anyway.

~Mom jeans on wheels
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 11:37 am 
The NWAC forecast discussions mention things like very wide propagation of slab fractures and such as of earlier yesterday. Not a wild shock given how fast and sometimes windy the new snow is coming in. I'm seeing on a SWE map that we're at about 75% of normal for most of what looks like about Mt Rainier and northward. Oh, and I know this will be a shock and a surprise, i90 is currently closed eastbound "due to vehicle spinouts blocking the roadway." It's looking a lot like modern winter in the Cascades...

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 11:49 am 
On days when snoqualmie pass gets absolutely dumped on, they should just outright ban anything less than awd. No trucks and no 2wd. With the pass closing in on 3 inches of SWE already, this storm is kicking some major butt though. Id like to get up there today or tomorrow at some point but if not, this still sets us in great shape for the rest of the season so i am still quite pleased.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 12:23 pm 
I'm wondering whether perhaps some folks made their way up before the chain check (which DOT says is now in place) was started this morning, or if some people somehow slipped by w/o chains, or if these are all awd spinouts (or some combination thereof). Seems like chain checks have helped a lot with preventing this when they get started quickly enough.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 12:27 pm 
BTW the pass is open again in both directions, with WSP doing chain checks. If it stays open for the rest of the day, it may be an indicator of the effectiveness of said checks.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 1:41 pm 
The snow depth guages at snoqualmie pass are climbing faster than core temperature guages at chernobyl! Theres way more snow than i originally thought and I thought it would be a lot!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 7:52 pm 
joker wrote:
BTW the pass is open again in both directions, with WSP doing chain checks. If it stays open for the rest of the day, it may be an indicator of the effectiveness of said checks.
It closed again. It was snowing incredibly heavily (powdery snow). My fat BC skis had almost no floatation, it seemed like about a foot and a half of fresh, as of 3 pm. Edit to add: last weekend I saw a number of chains on the highway. I don't think people are great at putting them on and some must have been installed wrong and come off. Also while most people agree that slow is the order of the day, there are always a few people who just can't drive at a reasonable speed even in a winter storm.

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 8:19 pm 
Need that 8 wheel drive...
Found pretty poorly bonded powder on a firm crust in the trees around smithbrook. Pie on crust on saturated in the open.... yesterday.