Forum Index > Trail Talk > Sleeping Bags
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
General ****

General ****
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 5:29 pm 
Sleeping Bags: Does anyone know of a lightweight sleeping bag that has room for my feet to be spread apart while sleeping. I'm really getting tired of the cramped space at your feet that mummy bags have. I would prefer it be rated for a minimum of 30 degrees F, or lower. I'm not climbing Peaks, just hiking into some of the high lakes in the Cascades, and not during the months between November thru March. I realize mummies are best for warmth, but they definitely are on the uncomfortable side for a side-sleeper that prefers to spread one leg away from their body. That position can help relieve minor back pain while laying on your side.... Especially if you place a small pillow under the knee of the leg you extend outward from your body. Trying to do that with a mummy has its' challenges. ********* Update***** Well I just received a call from an old trail partner, and he actually recommended LL Bean's Rectangular 20 degree Down Sleeping Bag with Down Tek, @ 2 lbs. 10 oz. $239. Now, I would have never thought of LL Bean... but I took a look at it on their website and was somewhat impressed with this bag. (The pack size seems little big, but????) If anyone is willing to take a look at it, I would appreciate your thoughts? I'm looking into all ideas and appreciate everyone's replies.

The General primarily backpacks solo.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 5:54 pm 
One reason I like my quilt is that I have much more flexibility in terms of moving around, or position. And in the summer, I don’t usually need my bag.

When I grow up I wanna play.
General ****

General ****
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 5:59 pm 
A quilt during the summer is a good idea... thank you for your suggestion.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 6:06 pm 
I sleep on my side and I'm so much happier with a backpacking quilt than I ever was with a mummy bag. Most quilts (that are made for camping) have the foot box sewn shut for efficiency, but some open flat like a blanket at home. That's the style I like. On a warm night you can let some drafts in to stay comfortable, in the cold you can close it tight around you.

Songs2

Songs2
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 6:20 pm 
I have a zero-degree TNF bag that is generally mummy in conformation until the foot box is reached, where it is actually more boxlike. Was very expensive, but nice to be warm and comfortable! I usually place a day pack stuffed with clothing under the foot to elevate it (eases back problems, helps legs recover), and the whole goes on top of a Nemo pump-up sleeping pad. I look forward to getting in the bag and falling asleep quickly.

General ****

General ****
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 6:21 pm 
Thank you... the quilt idea is sounding better and better.

General ****

General ****
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 6:23 pm 
Songs2 I'll look into that, thank you.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 6:24 pm 
I am considering a quilt as well, I also hate the claustrophobic feeling of a mummy bag. Another thing to consider is a female bag, wider in the hip area and a warmer foot box.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
General ****

General ****
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 6:30 pm 
Chief, Another good idea... thanks.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 7:08 pm 
This is the one I'm leaning towards next: https://featheredfriends.com/collections/sleeping-bags/products/feathered-friends-flicker-ul-wide-down-quilt-sleeping-bag There are a lot of cottage manufacturers making excellent quilts too.

General ****

General ****
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 7:12 pm 
That's a nice looking sleeping bag.

rossb

rossb
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 8:19 pm 
You might want to check out Montbell "Down Hugger" line of sleeping bags. They use a spiral cut and elastic to allow a user to stretch out, but stay warm. I really like them. I think Pro Mountain Sports sells them, so you may be able to check them out there.

General ****

General ****
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 9:00 pm 
Thanks Rossb.

Bowregard

Bowregard
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 9:12 pm 
I have the same issue. I can't sleep with a darn in a bag with a tight foot. Take a look at the Nemo bags. I have a 30 degree nemo that is a "spoon" shape with room for my feet and a 15 degree Nemo "Sonic" bag that has a larger foot area that has elastic to increase the warmth while leaving room. I think the Clymit bags are similar but I always found them heavy for the same warmth.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 9:16 pm 
General **** wrote:
Well I just received a call from an old trail partner, and he actually recommended LL Bean's Rectangular 20 degree Down Sleeping Bag with Down Tek, @ 2 lbs. 10 oz. $239. Now, I would have never thought of LL Bean... but I took a look at it on their website and was somewhat impressed with this bag. (The pack size seems little big, but????) If anyone is willing to take a look at it, I would appreciate your thoughts? I'm looking into all ideas and appreciate everyone's replies.
I was going to suggest LL Bean. I have a rectangular bag from them that I have taken backpacking. In fact, it sounds like the same one, but the price has gone up. I cannot sleep in a mummy bag. My bag is older but is synthetic and has worked well. It is larger and bulkier, but sleep is important so I have used it. I haven't backpacked for a while, but I carry it in my travel trailer in case things get cold. I like it. You will want a compression bag to squoosh it down as much as you can.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities