Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Everyone Hates the DNR Timber Plan
Previous :: Next Topic  
shane w

shane w

PostWed Jan 08, 2020 9:45 pm 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski wrote:
Hampton wrote:
To better understand this problem, Oregon State University is in the middle of an extensive study of the marbled murrelet. Since 2015, researchers have tagged 101 female murrelets at sea. Of those, only 12 have even attempted to fly to shore to nest. The implication is that there could be limiting factors in marbled murrelet population dynamics beyond habitat availability. Researchers will likely examine such factors, including food supply at sea, in the coming months and years. This is important research that should help inform plans for how to best support marbled murrelet populations. We are disappointed that Washington forest managers have decided to move forward with such a massive investment and convert productive forestland into habitat before this research is complete.

What do you need facts and science for if it makes somebody feel good? dizzy.gif
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 09, 2020 6:45 am 
Good heavens!  What could a lumber company that owns a lot of forest land and has actual foresters working on those lands possibly know about....forestry and the ecosystems of those forests which is .....forestry?

Must go make some ......  coffee, the elixir of forestry.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gregory

Gregory

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 10:56 am 
https://www.peninsuladailynews.com/news/marbled-murrelet-plans-spark-lawsuits/
altasnob

altasnob

PostFri Jan 10, 2020 2:17 pm 
Interesting. So in addition to Skagit County, Wahkiakum, Pacific, Skamania, and Mason County are all arguing DNR is not logging state trust lands fast enough. However, it appears that even though entities inside Clallam and Jefferson County have joined the fight, both Clallam and Jefferson County themselves, have not joined in any lawsuits (yet). And King, Snohomish, Pierce, Kitsap, Thurston, Whatcom, and Clark (who all have state trust forests) have not joined in any lawsuits. So it seems the counties' position on this issue comes down to whether you are a left or right leaning county.

Here's a map of state trust forests in Washington State:

https://www.dnr.wa.gov/Publications/eng_rms_trustlands_map_nu2.pdf
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((°>

Ski

><((((°>
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 3:57 pm 
fiefdom [feef dum] (n.)
1. the estate or domain of a feudal lord.
2. (informal) anything, as an organization or real estate, owned or controlled by one dominant person or group.

There is nothing new under the sun. - Ecclesiastes 1:9

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Gregory

Gregory

PostSat Jan 11, 2020 7:38 am 
The lawsuits stem from how DNR decisions or plans effect the local community. Forks and the west end are getting kicked in the .... once again over another bird.

"And King, Snohomish, Pierce, Kitsap, Thurston, Whatcom, and Clark (who all have state trust forests) have not joined in any lawsuits."

They are unaffected bcause there is no Marbled bird habitat inland just on the coast. They are logging as normal maybe more to make up for what is not coming fron the west end.
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 10:54 am 
Marbled Murrelet habitat is anything within 50 miles of salt water.  There are areas that have had seasonal restrictions as far away as Randle because of that.  The Sound is.....salt water.
One should have the big limbed, gnarldy trees that they are said to favor, though.  I doubt that comes in to play but I am cynical about this.  There were no trees WITHIN the timber sale units I am familiar with that were north of Randle.  But restrictions were put in place.  No logging until??  and then not until an hour after sunrise and stopping an hour before sunset.

That is, unless the range/habitat definition has changed in the last ten years.

--------------
What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Sculpin

Sculpin

PostSun Jan 12, 2020 7:21 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
There were no trees WITHIN the timber sale units

strange.gif

--------------
Even my best friends, they don't know, that my job is turning lead into gold. When you hear that engine drone, I'm on the road again, and I'm searching for the philosopher's stone - Van Morrison
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper

Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 8:21 pm 
Sculpin wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
There were no trees WITHIN the timber sale units

strange.gif

Should have said, No suitable murrelet trees.  My bad.

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Everyone Hates the DNR Timber Plan
  Happy Birthday peppersteak'n'ale, lookout bob, chiwakum!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: