Forum Index > Trail Talk > How much snow did ya get?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Windstorm

Windstorm
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 11:00 am 
Only a dusting. I'm very jealous of you folks who are further north.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 11:04 am 
Half an inch in Eastlake at 60'. Still coming down, very slowly. I tried to get Bear to go out and play in it, but it's too wet.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 11:21 am 
Still waiting here east of Portland. Sooner or later the cold arctic air will start pouring west through the Columbia Gorge and we'll get freezing rain, now forecast for Wednesday night or Thursday. In the meantime, the local NWS has stopped talking about "in the event of an event" and admits:
Quote:
With cold air tantalizingly close and low pressure moving onshore near the southern portion of our forecast area today, this will be a nailbiter of a forecast when it comes to whether or not the valley floors see accumulating snow.
Enjoy your snow day(s) up there!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
MtnManic

MtnManic
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 11:51 am 
Maybe 2-3"? here in Kirkland by Costco. Snowing just as it did yesterday on the Mountain Loop - big, gorgeous flakes. Fine, almost rain, now. Boss called us closed. smile.gif

Backpacking: limited to one pack at a time. Cameras: limited to as many as I can carry.
rossb

rossb
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 1:24 pm 
We got a couple inches here in north Seattle. I skied Jackson Park this morning for a bit. There was enough snow on the grass, but the roads were bare. Plenty of snowmen around in the neighborhood.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 1:31 pm 
There's a road bike forum I watch, and everybody acts like cold and especially snow are the worst things a person can encounter in life. I hope we get more!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 2:10 pm 
Down here in the Ballard banana belt, barely an inch, and it stuck only on parked cars and greenage. Temps in my yard stayed above freezing. An interesting weather anomaly that I noticed in the 24-36 hrs leading up to this was that the Seattle metro area and everything immediately due east of the Olympics was in a really pronounced "doughnut hole" rainshadow. I'm with you, C-path, I hope we get more!
doughnut hole
doughnut hole

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 2:21 pm 
They need to be updating these blogs more frequently!! I'm looking for information on exactly when these flurries are gonna be kicking In. And where! I need to know. These blogs only update every now and then and its usually just a picture if some weak 'ccumulation on someone's mail box!! Look that ain't gonna cut it when you got residents on the edge of their seats googlin' for data updates!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 2:39 pm 
They told us to panic. I've been running around in circles all day, and set the couch on fire for nothing!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 2:45 pm 
BigB & Cpath - Agreed, local panic when snow is forecast around here gets downright comical. eek.gif breakdance.gif clown.gif I just keep an eye on the UW's radar page, Cliff Mass's weather blog, and a general site like weatherunderground or weather.com. We have too many micro-climates around here to predict effects down to the neighborhood level. The radar page is really useful - I've been able to plan things like how much longer can I keep doing yard work or get a walkies in before the precipitation hits.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 3:47 pm 
I haven't measured but I'm guessing that even though it keeps snowing here it keeps settling down to around 7 heavy inches on the west side of Hollywood Hill just outside Woodinville city limits. Once I get off a board meeting call I hope to learn that it's an OK base for some kick-and-glide on the ancient 3-pin fischale skis bought for $20 when Marmot was clearing out rental gear.
ale_capone wrote:
One solace in not being able to do anything. I did not get stuck on highway 2 this weekend.
I passed on joining a friend and friend of friend on Yodelin yesterday due to not quite feeling right following a week+ long bug obtained during holiday travel. Not regretting it despite a report of good skiing. They made it back to town in a bit over 6 hours after getting to the car, with a veeerrrrry slow drive over Blewett required after realizing going west on 2 wasn't gonna work.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 3:48 pm 
Call me a wimp, but I do not like to ride my bike on compact snow or ice and having to share with cars that have bad tires. Except for the main roads, the streets are what I described. And, it is a toasty 11 degrees out with a nasty wind blowing. I once took off on my bike when it was 10 degrees out thinking that wasn't all that cold. I'd set out to ride about 12 miles? Sweaty uphills, freezing downhills. Thank goodness my friends were home. I was able to stop and warm up and then finished the ride. Brrrrr. It turned out to not be fun, except the visit with friends. .

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 4:05 pm 
Lots of trees down and power outages here in North Idaho, close to 2 feet of snow here in the past 3 days, so pretty much a normal winter. Just returned from snowmobiling, nearly lost my head after ascending a small hill and approached a step hidden descent there was a tree across the trail. Nowhere for me to go, couldn't stop and couldn't fit under. I bailed off the side, steered the sled straight and watches as the sled barely fit under the tree, breaking the windshied in half but kept going straight about 50' before stopping, upright and still running. Snapped a few pics and continued down the trail. I was just happy I wasn't hurt and that something exciting happened, lol.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 5:02 pm 
kvpair wrote:
1.5 inches in sammamish. Lake WA schools closed.
hihi.gif hihi.gif hihi.gif 21" of snow on the patio table in Roslyn. After school bus, just dropped the neighborhood kids off @ their bus stop

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 pm 
Out here by the airport got just a dusting last night. Started snowing hard here about 45 min. ago and there's about 1/2" out there now. It's above freezing though, so no biggie, it'll be gone by morning most likely. Pretty disappointing compared to last February!