Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Lettuce
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
RayD
the griz ate my pass

RayD
the griz ate my pass
PostFri Jan 10, 2020 5:31 pm 
Arugula is the current hoity-toitiest of greens, for sure. Whatever happened to kale? Yeah, yeah raw it was a bit tough but pretty good cooked. As to iceberg lettuce, it is the Bud-lite of greens, ubiquitous, watery and lacking soul...but it has uses. What about poke and collards? Now there we have some down home unpretentious yet tasty greens! Same goes for mustard and beet greens. Big fan of greens here! On hikes I look for miner's lettuce as a little treat. Sorrel also. This should really be in the Food and Grub section. No Saloon I've ever been thrown out of has ever had any sort of greens whatsomever.

don't believe everything you think
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 11:52 am 
You gotta make sure those chunks of 'berg dont have too much water in em because then it waters down the ranch. Ranch is better when its thick.

Damian

Damian
PostSat Jan 11, 2020 3:18 pm 
RayD wrote:
What about poke and collards? Now there we have some down home unpretentious yet tasty greens! Same goes for mustard and beet greens.
That's what I'm talking bout up.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 12:18 am 
This one (from my brother-in-law) is pretty good, but it does require a bit of advance preparation work: 1/2 cup (dry) dried TJ's organic cranberries*, reconstituted a bit by soaking in boiling water. drain on paper towels, and allow to cool completely. 1/2 (dry) walnuts or pecans, candied in 300° F oven with butter, sugar, and cinnamon for about 20 minutes. drain on paper towels and allow to cool completely. 2/3 cup raspberry vinaigrette dressing. (Olive oil, raspberry vinegar, dill weed, honey, Dijon mustard.) 1 head butter lettuce, torn up into pieces 1 11-ounch can mandarin orange segments, refrigerated and drained. Toss all ingredients together and serve immediately. Twist: sprinkle with crumbled feta or bleu cheese (* if you can find a better dried cranberry, go for it. Ocean Spray "Craisins" are garbage. *)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
neek

neek
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 8:06 am 
Ski wrote:
if you can find a better dried cranberry, go for it. Ocean Spray "Craisins" are garbage.
Agreed! The ones sold in bulk at PCC are excellent (whole, sweetened with apple juice). Will have to try TJ's although the nearest one is 4 miles away so not very convenient. I like sweet things, but not in salads, go figure.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 10:45 am 
^ Dried cranberries from various bulk-bins and co-ops have been hit-and-miss for me. Used to get really good ones from Olympia Food Co-Op. Haven't tried theirs in some time since I found the ones at TJ's. Most of the dried cranberries/cherries/blueberries are loaded up with sugar and turnover rate is slow so they get hard and chewy like JuJubees.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 1:10 pm 
I like fancy lettuce, hot, spicy...big fan of the newer leaves off of the horse radish too. Radish and beet greens. Vinegar and oil only. Also, ketchup +mayo is French's dressing, not thousand island. Thousand island has pickle relish in the ketchup mayo mix. Also French was the inventors last name. He was actually an Appalachian american. Europeans dont dress their salads. (Satire)

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 11:11 pm 
Lettuce yes

When I grow up I wanna play.
glenoid

glenoid
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 1:00 pm 
We get our greens this time of year in Southeastern WA, from our cold frames. No need to go to the store. It was down to 15 degrees a few times this winter, but all is well still. Black seeded Simpson lettuce, kale, chard, spinach, arugula, pak choy and radishes are some of the plants in there now.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 3:08 pm 
that's cool and simple. plus, keeps the deer out!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 5:56 pm 
Nice set up Glenoid! I miss being able to grow some of my own greens, though I often didn’t have great soil.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 6:26 pm 
Nice boxes!

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:41 pm 
So we were doing some shopping for dinner last night and I grabbed a head of the Iceberg of course, not exactly a deal in a small town grocery at $2.99. Continuing along the aisle I passed the bag salads, and there was a sale on fresh express iceberg combo bags (containing some kind of purple shreds I assume were cabbage, I'm OK with that) for $2.50. The bags were pretty big and easily more than were in that dang pygmy head of iceberg, so I put back the head and got the bag instead. Don't even have to cut it up, and cheaper, a win there! They had the texas toast crutons on sale too, god those are yummy with some Big Blue on them and mixed in with sunflower seeds.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 9:16 pm 
I don't have any problem with the bagged salads, as you said, they are quick and easy. They already have carrots, red cabbage, and iceberg lettuce. I asked a health nut lady that I once dated about any health benefits of iceberg and she surprised me by answering that "It's good roughage, therefore good for the digestive system. But as I said, Romaine and particularly Caesar salad is my 'go to"...I sometimes add some tomato, olives, pickled onions, maybe even some marinated artichoke hearts to change it up a bit.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 1:20 pm 
I do the caesar thing as well, I usually doctor it up beyond whichever brand sauce I have by adding parmesan flakes, more pepper, and a splash of lemon juice