Forum Index > Trail Talk > walking/biking paths
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:44 am 
many years ago the electrified st.paul/milwaukee rail line pulled up stakes, took out the rails and power lines leaving behind the trackage right of way to be sold to the land owners through which the tracks ran. many of the land owners just moved their fences back and used the land for storage because of contamination from diesel fuels/ etc... however some coalition wanted the land for a pathway and in several places it has become more or less a reality. there existed other lands for paths so use of the old rail beds was a big step in connecting paths and extending the trail system. graveled/leveled and vault toilets benches installed along much of the paths.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 11:24 am 
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:47 pm 
The "rails to trails" thing has been going on for some time now. If and when they ever complete the project between Chehalis (actually Adna, one of the earliest settlements in Western Washington north of the Columbia) and Raymond it will be fabulous. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 12:49 pm 
From what I understand, the Columbia Plateau Trail sucks for bike riding. It is rough and rocky railroad ballast except for a bit at either end. I have ridden bits of the Ferry County Rail Trail. It'll be a good one when they get the ballast covered. You can ride or walk from Republic to the Canadian border. I've ridden Republic to the end of the trestle over Curlew Lake, and a bit from the town of Curlew north. There was a small washout at the time I did the part from Curlew and I didn't want to get wet feet so I turned around. I think they fixed that bit. Republic is really trying to get reinvented. Oh, and a warning...the first mile or so out of Republic is also open to atvs. Most have been very polite. Sharing can work.
You could, with a bit of road riding, connect to the Kettle River trail in Beautiful British Columbia from the Ferry Co. trail. You'd have to go through customs, of course and then ride road till you hit the other trail. It doesn't look far on a map. Out of Oroville--one trailhead is behind a fruit warehouse, there is a 3.5 mile rail trail that goes from Oroville almost to the Enloe Dam on the Similkameen River. I've walked and ridden it. It is also a dog friendly trail, and is part of the PNW Trail. There is also a trailhead farther up the Similkameen road from Oroville if you want to have an even shorter hike.
That would be a pretty nice trail if they ever get the OKs to go past the dam and on up the river.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 1:12 pm 
Ski wrote:
The "rails to trails" thing has been going on for some time now. If and when they ever complete the project between Chehalis (actually Adna, one of the earliest settlements in Western Washington north of the Columbia) and Raymond it will be fabulous. up.gif
I think the flooding is the problem. On E. Warshington trails it is NIMBYs. I've been doing a bit of reading and the bike touring/packing thing brings in a respectable amount of tourist dollars along rail trails. Despite that, there are no real facilities in Lind and other burgs along the east part of the Palouse to Cascades trail, and there are still gates and permits and a detour around private lands. There has been money allocated for starting work on the Beverly Bridge this year. That's the big problem on that trail. Again, if it were perfect, one could ride from Seattle to Montana via that trail.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
RichP

RichP
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 1:14 pm 
I was walking a bit on The Columbia Plateau Trail outside of Washtucna recently. It's a state park but needs some improvement before bikes can use it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 2:20 pm 
Regardless of the state of improvements as state or county parks -- these rail corridors as public lands are an exciting resource. For the main east=west corridor I'm pretty excited that the Beverly Bridge restoration project and the Renslow Trestle projects have recieved state funding https://www.milwelectric.org/beverly-bridge-project-across-columbia-river-moves-forward/ https://www.milwelectric.org/renslow-trestle-project-moves-forward/ Closer to puget sound city the Cross Kirkland Corridor project https://www.kirklandwa.gov/Residents/Community/Cross_Kirkland_Corridor.htm and the EastTrail project are very welcome https://www.kingcounty.gov/services/parks-recreation/parks/trails/regional-trails/popular-trails/eastrail.aspx When the Newport to Wilburton section is restored (Bridge of I-405 rebuilt) It will allow nearly a complete loop of Lake Washington with very few miles on roads shared with cars. https://kingcountyparks.org/2019/05/06/bridging-the-trail-gap-over-i-405/

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 2:27 pm 
The Eastlake Sammamish trail was tied up in lawsuits for more than a decade. Many property owners along the right of way voiced many concerns -- but I believe the funding for lawsuits can from the property owners whose parcels were divided by the right of way into parcels too small to develop. Had they prevailed, I believe there would have a few dozen more lake side McMansions with ski boat docks on Lake Sammamish instead of a public trail.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 3:27 pm 
When did it change names from Iron Horse to Palouse to Cascades?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 3:53 pm 
Cyclopath wrote:
When did it change names from Iron Horse to Palouse to Cascades?
May 23rd 2018 https://parks.state.wa.us/CivicAlerts.aspx?AID=392
Quote:
‘Palouse to Cascades State Park Trail’ connects east and west sides of state OLYMPIA – May 23, 2018 – The long-distance recreation rail trail that runs from North Bend to the Idaho border has a brand new name – Palouse to Cascades State Park Trail. The Washington State Parks and Recreation Commission unanimously voted last week to rename the Iron Horse State Park Trail, which includes the John Wayne Pioneer Trail. The new name was selected to end confusion resulting from the two names associated with the trail. The Commission expressed an interest in a name unique to Washington and representing both sides of the state. “I am extremely pleased with the name change,” said Commission Chair Ken Bounds. “Palouse to Cascades is unique to Washington State. There is no evidence that John Wayne was associated with the trail, and there are several other Iron Horse trails throughout the country. The new name connects eastern and western Washington and honors two beautiful regions of our state.” The trail is a 285-mile linear property that extends from North Bend, east to the town of Tekoa on the Washington-Idaho border. State Parks owns 110 continuous miles of the trail from North Bend to the Columbia River near Vantage and has 105 miles of continuous ownership from Lind to the Idaho border. Since the state attained the corridor in 1981, State Parks has surfaced rail beds and developed trestles and tunnels for non-motorized recreational use, including bicycles and horses. Some eastern Washington trail sections remain in Department of Natural Resources (DNR) ownership, and there are small privately owned sections between Lind and Idaho. Some sections also have yet to be developed. In 2016, the Commission adopted land classifications and a long-term boundary for portions of the trail east of the Columbia River. At that time, the Commission adopted a resolution reaffirming support for an east-west cross-state trail; directed staff to work with DNR on a transition plan for the DNR-managed trail corridor; and also directed staff to work with Iron Horse State Park Trail stakeholders to recommend a new name. The name was to be based on geographic location, geology, archaeology or history, in keeping with State Parks’ naming policy and to establish a broadly recognizable and marketable identify. Subsequently, staff did public outreach to various groups and trail users to aid in the naming process. Naming suggestions included Cascalouse State Park Trail; Columbian State Park Trail; Cross-Washington State Park Trail; Iron Horse State Park Trail; Milwaukee Road State Park Trail; Trail of the Olympian State Park Trail; John Wayne Pioneer Trail and Palouse to Cascades State Park Trail. Staff recommended the latter option to the Commission. Bounds said the Commission was impressed with the 500 comments received from trail users throughout the state, including the active involvement of various trail friends groups. He noted that the new name will help promote tourism for small towns and communities along the trail. “We look forward to the day when the trail, from east to west, is completed and eventually connects to trails in Idaho and beyond,” Bounds said. State Parks will work with the Department of Transportation to replace about 17 highway signs and create a consistent style for signs along the trail. The agency anticipates signs will be in place in 2019. Total cost for the trail signs, including those due for routine replacement or maintenance, is $32,000.
More background on why effort was made to drop the "John Wayne" aspect of the name. https://www.seattletimes.com/life/outdoors/washington-may-rename-the-cross-state-john-wayne-pioneer-trail-heres-why/

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 4:26 pm 
Thanks for that, Randy. I never liked calling it the John Wayne Pioneer Trail, he didn't use the route, and he didn't pioneer the state. And I don't think trails or natural landmarks should be named after individuals as a general rule although I allow plenty of exceptions. Iron Horse seemed pretty obvious, so would Railroad Grade have. Now that I've read the official explanation of why it's Palouse to Cascades it makes more sense and sounds better. I suddenly heard people calling the trail that, and was confused for a bit. Also the E end of the trail is well beyond Palouse Falls, I'm not sure what the limits on "Palouse country" are, but I found that confusing. Anyway, now I have some background, and it's appreciated. I've ridden this trail from North Bend to the cutoff to Stampede Pass, and a few short sections randomly while riding further east. All on 28 and 32 mm tires. I don't like actual bona fide gravel, but the rest of it is fun, being a little underbiked on rough dirt with rocks forces you to concentrate on the here and now, and choose a good line. smile.gif

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 4:48 pm 
I've ridden the trail as far east as the Easton Trailhead and I keen to ride the section from Easton to Ellensburg next spring once conditions are clement. A buddy of mine and I plan on a Duvall to Tekoa bikepacking trek once the Beverly Bridge project is complete. The guy in the Chevron station in Vantage will shuttle cyclists across the I-90 bridge for a fee, but that would have a different flavor than riding across the Columbia on a nice path far from the blast of semis.

RichP

RichP
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 4:59 pm 
The eventual plan is to connect from Tekoa to Plummer, Id with The Trail of the Coeur d'Alenes and beyond. https://www.spokanejournal.com/local-news/tekoa-touts-rail-trail/ Here is a grand plan to make a cross country route to Wash DC. https://www.railstotrails.org/media/782812/grt_route_assessment_final_reduced.pdf

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 6:10 pm 
There are the Palouse hills. That part of the state is called The Palouse. It's famous for the hilly wheat land and a bit of an erosion problem because of the hills. Pullman is in the Palouse. There is a town called Palouse, etc. According to my niece, Pullman has a legume festival too so I guess they grow that also. Appaloosa horses also are a form of A Palouse horse. One says, In The Palouse, when talking about that area.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:24 pm 
I've ridden most of it from the pass to the Yak firing range. Wide tires and a full tool bag recommended, and from reports you'll def want tubeless east of the Columbia... The goat heads out in Beverly are legendary.

~Mom jeans on wheels