Forum Index > Trail Talk > Snowy Hill Recreation Recommendations for North Seattle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
rossb

rossb
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:18 am 
I'm thinking of doing a little cross country skiing on some hills, ideally within a half hour drive or so from Northgate. I skied Jackson Park yesterday, and there was barely enough snow. I would do it again, but I'm hoping for something with a bit more snow. My understanding is that areas to the north (Shoreline, Everett, etc.) got more snow. Any recommendations on hills that are good for just roaming around on skinny skis?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
ale_capone

ale_capone
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:27 am 
Richmond beach stairs. wink.gif send them! It would be cool doing a little kick and glide next to the sound though. Japanese gulch?

rossb

rossb
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 9:36 am 
ale_capone wrote:
Richmond beach stairs. wink.gif send them!
Yeah, I could work on my Telemark skills smile.gif
ale_capone wrote:
It would be cool doing a little kick and glide next to the sound though. Japanese gulch?
Yeah, I'm not sure if there is enough snow down low, though (although I don't know). I've never been to Japanese gulch. Is it all deep forest? Forest is great (I love big trees) but not so great after a big snow (branches can fall on my head). I prefer something a bit more open, even if it is more artificial.

icedog

icedog
PostTue Jan 14, 2020 8:29 pm 
Former Wayne Golf Course in Bothell is now a park. Some great terrain there! Last year it was the local sledding spot w/big and small hills. Don’t know about coverage as I’ve been at work last couple days- “essential staff” shakehead.gif May pick up more snow overnight; we’ll see

ICEDOG
rossb

rossb
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 8:44 am 
Yeah, I skied that last year -- it is a great park. I was kind of hoping for some place a bit farther north, since that is where more of the snow hit. I ended up just skiing Jackson Park again. There was barely enough snow, but it still worked. It is a treat to visit that park, since most of the time only golfers can walk through it. Anyway, today I'm going to try and go up to Snoqualmie (maybe ski Kendall Lakes, maybe just Talapus Road, depending on traffic). Good to have a list of lowland sledding/cross country ski areas (both Jackson Park and Wayne Golf Course are great).

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 6:12 pm 
I don’t know for sure if this would be an option, but once when the snow level was like this I thought of skiing the old roads on west Rattlesnake. Some of them are now part of the bike trails, but I imagine there’s too much snow for biking??

When I grow up I wanna play.
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 9:08 pm 
Late to the thread, but for the future record the Tolt Pipeline and some of the nearby little horse trails can be quite a nice ski. If was excellent yesterday and pretty nice even in the warming temps today. Last February during stormaggedon I was able to link tele turns down the steep hill where the pipeline drops to the Sammamish valley. But we had around 18" here then.

MangyMarmot

MangyMarmot
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:49 am 
Last year I took the CC skis to the Burke Gillman trail. I don't think there is enough snow for that this year. Perhaps the Centennial Trail by Snohomish?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:51 am 
Some of the trails on top of Cougar would make excellent XC trails.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn