Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Better Than The Real Thing? Cover Songs
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:49 am 
First time I heard this was on my Philco AM radio in my 1968 Ford at about 3 am coming up I-5 from Portland. That was a great radio - picked up signals from quite a ways away. Unfortunately they never gave this guy any air time here. I drove down to Portland and bought the album the next day:

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:54 am 
Speaking of Captain Beefheart, this guy was his guitar player until Van Vliet fall off the stage during a performance. From "Paradise and Lunch". Great album.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:56 am 
I see somebody's posted "I Hear You Knockin'" above. If you're ready for the real deal, here you go:
don't believe there's ever been a "cover" of this one, but one of the best tracks on that album is this little number from Johnny Young. Johnny Young on mandolin. Lefty Diz on lead guitar.
(* no idea why YouTube is showing a different picture on that one. the only place I've ever found that is on that "19 Tracks" album, which was originally only available on vinyl *)

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 5:55 am 
here's the original, performed by the London Philharmonic Orchestra:
and here's the cover done by some guys from Finland:
moving right along, here's the original by the late Mr. Bowie:
and the cover:

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 3:58 pm 
okay so speakin' of covers.......... I can't think of too many songs that have been covered by so many different artists as this one. The original, contrary to popular myth, was first recorded by Stan Jones and his Death Valley Rangers in late 1948 or early 1949, and released on Mercury 5320 May 1949
Burl Ives was the next to record it on February 17, 1949. It peaked at #21 on the Billboard chart:
The big splash came when Vaughan Monroe's wonderful baritone was laid down on March 14, 1949. It remained on the Billboard charts for 22 weeks and became the Number One song of 1949:
Since then, the song has been covered by dozens of artists, including the Outlaws, the Ventures, Lawrence Welk, Roy Clark, the Tortalita Gut Pluckers (seriously), Frankie Laine, Tom Jones, the Ramrods, and the Blues Brothers, among many others. For reasons which don't need to be explained, it's not possible to pick a "best", but here are a couple of my favorites: This frenetic version by Dick Dale will definitely get your blood moving:
And this one by Johnny and Willie will send shivers up your spine:

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 4:13 pm 
I keep meaning to post this one (I don't think I did already, not scrolling back thru 6+ pages). Classic Toto song from the 80s. It's probably been covered a few times, including by Weezer recently. But I'm going w/ a different cover. This Leo guy is a wild man, a bit over the top, but I like the other singer he got to accompany him. It's way out of her normal style but she pulls it off well. I'm not really into the growly vocal style, but it's an interesting example of taking a song in a very different direction, while still being very recognizable (and stick around for an outro that's probably more well liked than the video itself based on comments).

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 4:42 pm 
Wow, speaking of Weezer, did they go on a total 80s kick?

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 6:51 pm 
Charlie Segar was the first to record this in 1940:
Big Bill Broonzy (guitar and vocal) and Jazz Gillum (harmonica) recorded an arrangement that will sound a bit more familiar in 1940 or 1941:
Over the course of the next few decades, the song was covered by a number of artists, probably one of the most well-recognized by Eric Clapton. Mr. Clapton's expertise with a 6-string notwithstanding, this cover by Junior Wells (vocals and harp) with Sam Lawhorn on lead guitar (with Philip Guy on second guitar, and Johnny "Big Moose" Walker on the B-3) has them all beat hands down:
== Chester Burnett (aka "Howlin' Wolf") wrote and recorded this number on Chess Records in 1964:
While the audio quality on this live version is a bit sketchy, one gets a better taste of the virtuosos behind him: Hubert Sumlin on guitar and Sunnyland Slim (Albert Luandrew) on the electric piano:
A few years later, the most in-demand session guitar player in London and a young vocalist from Staffordshire covered it with a different title:
But nobody's yet come close to this guy wearing the pink feather boa:
alt. URL: https://vimeo.com/311126189 * and yes... it was Mick Jagger's brother Chris who painted that eyeball jacket. wink.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 11:46 pm 
The original by John Barry:
A great cover by Oleg Gitarkin and Svetlana (in the studio):
and live @ Le Brin de Zinc, Chambery, France Oct 2014

Washakie

Washakie
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 4:44 pm 
I saw Hendrix perform it a couple if times. Amazing. As I recall, The Electric Flag did an interesting version too.

"What is the color when black is burned?" - Neil Young "We're all normal when we want our freedom" - Arthur Lee "The internet can make almost anyone seem intelligent" - Washakie
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 3:07 am 
Here's an oldie, composed in 1958 by Henry Mancini:
three decades later, The Art of Noise put a slightly different twist on it. This production was most likely done for MTV:
... and again with the inimitable Duane Eddy - this time with more girls and fewer sample clips:
Clearly inspired by Mr. Eddy, Oleg puts a slightly different twist on it here:
(* there are a number of other live versions of this available with equal or better audio quality, but they're parts of longer sets, like this one recorded in St. Petersburg last month *) wink.gif

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 12:52 am 
Surrealistic Pillow (1967) was one of the first albums I owned. Here's Grace belting out the original version:
... here's one hell of a live cover I stumbled across... the young lady on that Les Paul is givin' Jorma a run for his money:
At the Neptune Theater Friday May 1st

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Mar 11, 2020 7:09 pm 
Peter Tchaikovsky's brilliant "March of the Toy Soldiers" from the Nutcracker Suite (Opus 71)
... and here Oleg and company put a slightly different twist on it:

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSat Mar 14, 2020 4:10 am 
Originally written by Bobby Womack and Shirley Jean Womack, and originally recorded by The Valentinos (featuring Bobby Womack) and making it to the Billboard Hot 100 chart in 1964:
The Rolling Stones had their first (UK) Number One hit with it in June 1964:
Ry Cooder covered it in 1974 on Paradise and Lunch
Womack covered it again with The World's Most Dangerous Band on David Letterman's show in 1985:
The inimitable Johnny Winter released a live cover of it in 1976, here with Floyd Radford on second guitar and Randy Jo Hobbs on bass:

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostSun Apr 05, 2020 1:17 am 
I literally just discovered this artist moments ago. Haven't been paying attention to mainstream country music for years. This is Lee Ann Womack's daughter, doing a nice cover of a Dwight Yoakam song (I gotta go w/ Dwight on this one though).