Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hangin' out in the left lane
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 2:07 pm 
Take a lot of call with my job (cath lab). When called in during the day on a weekend, often when literally going in to save a life, I get stuck behind people in the left lane who think it is their prerogative to force me to do the speed limit. I’m not driving crazy, but really the difference from 5mph under to 5-10mph over makes a huge difference — especially when multiple lights just barely turn red on you. As the original post says, “Get the eff out of the way.” And if you have a hard time with how fast I’m going, then you are wrong if you speed up on me when I pass — which is illegal BTW (speeding up, not passing).

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 5:49 pm 
there are other lanes on the road and if someone is hanging in the left at a slow speed and the other lanes are open then move the "eff" over to an emply lane and go on about your way!....duh!!

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 12, 2020 8:01 pm 
cdestroyer wrote:
there are other lanes on the road and if someone is hanging in the left at a slow speed and the other lanes are open then move the "eff" over to an emply lane and go on about your way!....duh!!
While that is true, that then sometimes creates a dangerous situation when multiple cars are changing lanes while in close proximity. I have been saying for a long time that the most dangerous drivers are those who drive too slow and those that drive too fast. I try to stay in the middle and as far away as the other idiots as possible.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 4:24 pm 
I haven't read the entire thread, so this may have been mentioned in past posts. I spent two weeks in California during the holidays and discovered that it's evidently normal there to drive in the far left lane as much as possible. I warned my SIL and my Son #2, both of whom seem addicted to this practice, that if they try that in Oregon or Washington they are (hopefully) going to get tickets. They of course ignored me! I suspect that at least some of those left lane hoggers we encounter in WA and OR may hail from that interesting state south of us!

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostMon Jan 13, 2020 6:49 pm 
Hanging in the left lane causes blockages. It's not a harmless practice. Passing on the inside is much more dangerous and the average speed on the road will be much lower if you drive slow in the left lane. Places like NJ where 80 is pretty common, people know to get over. I don't know for sure why they do it, but I've seen many troopers there cruising at high speed in the left lane and clearing it out. If they come upon a slow poke, they wait behind them until they get a little shock in their rear view mirror and immediately pull over. Then the trooper is off again at high speed like they have somewhere important to go. It does a good job keeping drivers disciplined without the need for a lot of tickets which would each cause a minor traffic jam. So there are ways to police this efficiently.

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 8:31 am 
One of the things we get called in for from time to time is a ruptured aortic aneurysm. Half don’t even live to the hospital. Half of those that do, don’t live to discharge (vascular surgeon told me this). Imagine getting called in for this, or for someone with a blocked coronary artery, and your stuck behind a left lane camper. And then when you finally pass him on the right (often after he took it upon himself to enforce the speed limit) you get a really hostile sneer cast your way.

dave allyn

dave allyn
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 9:04 am 
Alpendave, your employment does not entitle you to speed. The self-appointed speed limit enforcer is merely obeying the law. If you have a legitimate need to speed you need to have flashing lights and siren like real emergency workers.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:15 am 
dave allyn wrote:
The self-appointed speed limit enforcer is merely obeying the law.
Actually no, they are violating RCW 46.61.100 https://app.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=46.61.100 Which requires "Keep right except when passing, etc."
Quote:
(4) It is a traffic infraction to drive continuously in the left lane of a multilane roadway when it impedes the flow of other traffic.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:29 am 
^Exactly... And you're only passing in the passing lane IF you are going fast enough to actually pass the person to the right. Keep right unless you are passing, and when you are in the passing lane, pass, don't pace and claim 'geez, I'm just following the law'. No you aren't.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
neek

neek
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 11:06 am 
So when traffic is crawling along in both lanes, are half the people on the road breaking the law? Technically just by existing you're "impeding traffic" to a small degree.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:26 pm 
Lane camping whiners are a special breed. Especially since speeders murder thousands of people per year, while supposed campers, who exist in a tiny fraction of the number claimed, never killed anyone. But speeders honestly believe their law breaking is fine, but the law breaking of others is an outrage. If ad can’t do his job without endangering the lives of others then he needs a different job. And why does he bring up the 100% red herring that he gets stopped at stop lights? Hey, just run them, you claim to have an excuse.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:30 pm 
The special breed is the campers, after all you note they are limited in numbers...the defining characteristic of a special breed. Calling accidents 'murders' means you're intentionally abusing language to inflate an argument, and when you have to abuse word meanings to make your point, it undermines whatever point it was. It's illegal to camp, too. But it sure looks like you're defending it. Just be civil, pass when you're in the passing lane, and then move over. This isn't rocket science.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
neek

neek
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 12:52 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Just be civil, pass when you're in the passing lane, and then move over.
Yes, exactly. Likewise, be civil and don't harass people who are doing something you don't like. Online venting is better than road rage, I suppose. Maybe not though - maybe it encourages others to behave poorly in the real world. At any rate, as a former aggressive driver, I can say that I'm much happier after learning to live and let live. Had a few close calls I'm not really proud of. Haste makes waste, as they say. Ever seen videos of left lane Autobahn drivers? People know to gtfo of your way. Pretty slick how it works when people abide by the norms. (Except when it doesn't, of course.)

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:07 pm 
dave allyn wrote:
Alpendave, your employment does not entitle you to speed. The self-appointed speed limit enforcer is merely obeying the law.
Oh, for hell's sake, get over yourself! This attitude is sickening! I'll stop here.....

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
mike

mike
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:09 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
pass when you're in the passing lane, and then move over. This isn't rocket science.
Every time I've been in the maze all the lanes are full so what does it matter. GEEZ! so many twisted panties.