Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Hangin' out in the left lane
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:10 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
It's illegal to camp, too. But it sure looks like you're defending it. Just be civil, pass when you're in the passing lane, and then move over. This isn't rocket science.
^ This! But the WAHP (apparently) has no time for such non-revenue producing enforecement. I've been driving in WA for 18 years now, and it's 1) apparent at the border, and 2) not improved at all.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
uww

uww
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:15 pm 
Slugman wrote:
Especially since speeders murder thousands of people per year, while supposed campers, who exist in a tiny fraction of the number claimed, never killed anyone.
Nobody dies from speeding alone, it is the risk of death that is increased at higher speeds. There are many accidents and fatalities caused by lange changes at highway speed from those trying to get around a left lane camper. That's why it is against the law- it is not safe to impede the flow of traffic.

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:36 pm 
mike wrote:
Every time I've been in the maze all the lanes are full so what does it matter. GEEZ! so many twisted panties.
I agree, when you're in core of the hive it doesn't really apply. I see these arguments as applying to multi-lane traffic where the flow is moving at or above posted limits.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:44 pm 
Tomorrow, January 16, will be the fifth anniversary of this thread, with over 16000 views and 120 comments. Amusingly, I also frequent another "discussion site" where this exact same argument has been going on much longer, with considerably more comments and views. Clearly, there are some who understand the meaning and intent of the Washington State Law that Randy cited above, and there are those who are either oblivious or choose to self-righteously ignore it, assigning themselves as self-assigned "hall monitors" for reasons which defy explanation. If you haven't actually read the entire text of the statute, it would benefit you to do so. Moreover, it would benefit other drivers on the road, many of whom simply do not have the time or inclination to play your silly-ass little games as you dawdle along in the left lane. mike does bring up one of the more salient points in the discussion here, which is that there are clearly too many of you who have your knickers in a twist about it. It's much easier to just move over to the next lane, pass the stupid sonofabitch who's thoughtlessly holding up traffic in the left lane, and go about your day. Investing energy on stupid people is non-productive and a waste of time.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:47 pm 
But it's still fun to discuss. We are technically wasting energy and time on anything beyond that which provides the bare essentials for survival, after all. Such as the time wasted complaining about views, thread age, discussion, etc. tongue.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:52 pm 
True. I must be awfully bored because I usually never even look at threads like this one, either here or on the other site. Of course, there's always the slim chance that someone may actually READ the statute and figure out WHY they wrote the law that way. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 2:04 pm 
Heck, it's often so much more fun to b*tch, complain and surmise anyway. (Hat tip to Corb Lund, I love that line.)

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 2:23 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
This isn't rocket science.
Some here seem to think so. Many people tend to over-analyze things to the point of absurdity. In a normal, non grid locked freeway with multiple lanes it is simply common sense that one lane should be for passing only for safety reasons as well as to keep traffic flowing freely.
Ski wrote:
I must be awfully bored
+1...many times I think I retired too soon.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 2:57 pm 
Drive slowly and hike fast! Anybody can push their foot on the power pedal, but only a studly baron can climb Mt Si in a single bound. And keep to the right on the Mailbox trail!

seattlenativemike

seattlenativemike
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 6:54 pm 
10 over in the slow lane...its the place to be....

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 8:47 am 
dave allyn wrote:
Alpendave, your employment does not entitle you to speed. The self-appointed speed limit enforcer is merely obeying the law. If you have a legitimate need to speed you need to have flashing lights and siren like real emergency workers.
Well, You wouldn’t want me taking the full 30 minutes for your sake. I’m not talking about doing 15 over. 5-10 makes a huge difference if you don’t get stuck behind people who are doing 5-10 under (and I do).

neek

neek
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 8:58 am 
With this logic (given that you can't change other people's behavior, esp. merely by griping on obscure Internet forums) it seems like the responsible thing to do would be to move closer to work.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:29 am 
alpendave wrote:
Well, You wouldn’t want me taking the full 30 minutes for your sake. I’m not talking about doing 15 over. 5-10 makes a huge difference if you don’t get stuck behind people who are doing 5-10 under (and I do).
I find it hard to fathom that a job involving critical life safety doesn't have staff on duty at the hospital 24/7

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 10:57 am 
Perhaps the guy doing the work knows more about what's necessary than well meaning non employees not doing the job.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 11:46 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Perhaps the guy doing the work knows more about what's necessary than well meaning non employees not doing the job.
No way, that could not be!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.