Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions? New to hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:22 pm 
I thought april would be too early thanks for that tip. And I will try finding books..this is why I joined I know pretty much nothing about summit hikes I havnt spent a whole lot of time at that elevation I camped a few places along the pass in high school did a bit of walking around. but never tried reaching a summit. It's been something I have wanted to do since high school though. I have just started a little research I'm the past few months but I know I was looking at the way wrong places then like Adam's and Baker. I just recently realized how many peaks there really were up there

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:24 pm 
^ I have to confess I have not been to any of those sites you've checked on your map. Again, if you're just starting out, stick with easy stuff. High Rock is 1.5 miles from the trailhead to the summit. Significant elevation gain, so you'll be working. Others in that area which aren't terribly difficult are Tongue Mountain (as treeswarper suggested), Hamilton Buttes (search directions at GPNF website). Be aware that the snow doesn't melt out on a lot of those high elevation summits until mid-summer some years. You do not want to get lost in the snow - it's no fun at all. Some of those peaks will still have snow on the route clear into late July.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:25 pm 
If you're in Ellensburg, the Teanaway is a good option. Iron Peak is a good first peak. There's a nice camp below the saddle. It's probably better to think of this as a progression. If you're camped before, backpacking isn't very different, except you're more limited in what you can bring. And it's a good idea to do a first backpacking trip that's a short easy hike, so if you forget something important or your gear doesn't work for you, you can retreat easily. There's a camp spot maybe 1/2 mile along the Beverly/Bean hike that would make good practice.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 1:29 pm 
LOTS of wonderful places to go. Check out the Teanaway area for a nice practice backpacking trip. The trails are well maintained, it's great earlier in summer than farther west, and if you mess up, you're not too far away from any trail head - and it's popular enough that you won't be too much alone. It can be crowded during the day, but at night, you should be just fine. Lots of bumps to wander, too. Have you been able to use WTA's filter for regions and sub-regions for locations you want? Some folks don't know the filters are even there for searching (don't feel dumb if not; lots of folks don't know)

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 3:09 pm 
Not really what I was looking for but I found some walks to take early on In The year alot closer to home. Just to make the fiance happy not really mountains but still some light practice not really much more than what I'm used to in Capitol forest just alot less trees

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 4:27 pm 
Camron wrote:
I.defintly agree i need to find someone on here with experience that wouldn't mind tagging along.
Yea, be careful, there are some strange people on here... hockeygrin.gif

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 3:45 am 
I found another area swakane peak. From other reports I could do this as may or april depending on the year trying to stick around the Wenatchee area there are so many hikes within 80 miles of me it's hard to choose but I figured it would be a good early season hike and practice

Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 3:46 am 
Any ideas close to Wenatchee if I stay closer to this side I can start a little earlier in the season

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 5:14 am 
Hey look what I found here............ 55 Hikes in Central Washington© 1990 Ira Spring and Harvey Manning - The Mountaineers from back in the day when we weren't blessed with computers and such. hell, I was using two Campbell's soup cans and a length of cotton twine to talk to people. table of contents - Wenatchee Colockum Wildlife Recreation Area Colockum Pass Road Ancient Lakes (lots of trip reports on this one here) Dusty Lake Frenchman Coulee Trees of Stone Whiskey Dick Mountain East Saddle Mountain Try the "search" function up there at the top. Be sure to select "Trip Reports" on the drop-down menu under the tab that says "All Forums". If you cannot find information on it here, try wta.org And of course... GIYF wink.gif Not always necessary to have a "Plan B". Sometimes just having a delightful lunch packed will suffice.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:29 am 
How about Steamboat Rock? It'll be snow free early if it gets any snow, and is in Steamboat Rock State park. There is a trail all the way to the top, where there is a nice view of the coulee.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 8:20 am 
Ancient lakes looks alot more interesting than I thought after looking at it here I have already looked at all of these but didnt really read through reports. They all look like decent one for me and the fiancee and maybe the boys.juat some warm up trips and I believe saddle mountain is wahatis peak which was in my last screen shot that I posted. That's the one I thought I would proably.try next month if this snow is melted off if we dont get a bunch more snow. I've pretty much found all these on google already I just didnt really think they would be very interesting. I have been spending the last week doing nothing but google. I had already thought about alot of these for trips for me and her. I'll have to look at the reports now. I think dusty lake ancient lakes Frenchman coulee will on be on my list for sooner trips. Keep my self from thinking about peaks for a little while until it warms up and I can go hit a mountain. And also I didn't even notice the search bar on this page so thanks for that. The downside of WTA is I cant ask questions about peoples reports.

Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 8:28 am 
I foundsteamboat rock that's the park right? I was planning on that for a camping trip this summer for my fiancee and maybe the kids. I really came to this site.to look for serious mountain hikes and I know they are all pretty much west of me into the real mountains. I was looking at the ones closer for me and fiamcee and then the serious hikes would be me and a friend. My fiancee is in worse shape than me so I want fairly easy things for her which there is no shortage of around here i already found plenty just in a few days of searching It's just the more intense serious elevation gain ones that arnt around here. My goal this year is to push my self see how much I can take do what I always wanted to do but never had the means to do so.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:25 am 
Wahatis is a big area for 4WD folks, and sometimes they have a kind of rally. No formal camping, and I don't recall any water up there. I camped up there once, and it was great, but that was quite awhile ago, and I'm not sure it's reliably nice. Ancient Lakes and Steamboat Rock are great. They don't meet your criteria of west, and summits, but coulee walls are summits, I think. Ancient Lakes is an easy backpack (don't use the water in the lake, which is agri runoff, but it's such a short trip, you can carry your water). Susan Lake is chock-full of so many different kinds of birds, and Canada geese honking echo off the coulee walls at Round Lake. Steamboat Rock is wonderful! State Park with formal campsites and the rock is easy to get up to, and lots of wandering to be done. Deer and eagles, tons of songbirds - you will love it.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 9:27 am 
If you are thinking of Steamboat rock, I'd definitely consider hiking Northrup Canyon. It's just a little north of Steamboat on the other side of the road. It's a day hike area that goes up a neat canyon to an old farm, or, one can climb an old road up to the top of the plateau for great views of the area. Lovely, both of them, are. ( Not trying to talk like Yoda, it just came out that way.... clown.gif ) cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 12:36 pm 
Yeah all those are just ideas for the fiancee anything on this side is just for her and maybe the boys because it close Just short day hikes not to worried about water. Ancient lakes was an idea for fishing the Columbia and free camping it sounds like? Well other than discover past which is obvious Not sure bout that. I havnt looked to see if there was any fish in any of those lakes around there and some the walls look interesting and steamboat i had talked to fiancee about awhile ago I found it looking for camping areas. I like little cliffs I live right next to potholes resevoir and I've done alot of walking around the seep lakeas here when fishing because I like the little cliffs. Further west into the mountains would be for just me and a friend dont think she could keep up or be able to make it to top in most of the places I have looked. Thanks for confirming my ideas about steamboat though I thought it looked good but now I know it is worth the gas.