Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions? New to hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 12:40 pm 
I just checked out northrup that looks interesting. I'm gonna have to go there and check it out. I live near moses lake so it's not too bad and if I ever did camp at steamboat I would just break out the 1 man raft and float over and pack it in my bag. Looks short enough.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 12:56 pm 
There are small easy peaks with nice views near Blewett Pass.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 1:05 pm 
Quote:
I just didnt really think they would be very interesting. I have been spending the last week doing nothing but google.
Interesting is where you find it. In one of the many Ira Spring/Harvey Manning collaborations, Manning wrote up a narrative on a "trail" that he titled "Puyallup River Walk", which started upstream from the mouth of the river several miles, and then meandered down along the levee wall, terminating at what was described as one of the high points of the journey - the Interstate 5 concrete bridge leaping over the Puyallup River. This is the time of year for poring over maps laid out all over the living room floor and picking out destinations for trips to come. Well... it used to be, until they invented these computer thingies. Now you can do it all by just clicking a few buttons, one of the advantages being that you don't have to try to figure out how to fold the map back up correctly. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 1:27 pm 
Right I remember my dad having maps of Capitol forest and I'd always be looking at them trying to find a place we could camp that wasnt a campground and him finding good mountain bike trails. I never even used a phone or computer till I got to school and I have never had a computer at home. I didnt even have a phone till high school I'd be the one weird kid riding his bike or taking the city bus with a paper map in his pocket.. and yeah I figured this would be the time of year.to plan a.bigger trip to the mountains so I can be well prepared by the time the snow melts

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 1:37 pm 
I prefer paper maps and books for sure.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 1:57 pm 
Online maps are the one reason I'd like a bigger screen.

Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 2:52 pm 
Right if my 2 almost 3 yr old twin boys wouldnt have broke my new 50 inch tv I would be screen mirroring makes things so much easier

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 4:11 pm 
was it a golf club or a croquet mallet? dizzy.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 6:29 pm 
Depends which tv. The first tv they broke was a 32 they threw a toy at it the second one I think was a little bigger than a 32 they hit it with a toy. The 3rd one the 50in 4k tv they poured water down the back of it twice the first time I unplugged it let it sit for 3 days next to heater and it worked the 2nd time they poured water down back I hoped it would dry out I unplugged it immediately and let it sit for 4days next to the heater it didnt work that time it wont even power on. The 4th tv was a 48in and one of them it with a toy. I would have put it on wall mount but landlord wouldnt let me I bought the mount for the 50 inch 4k. So we a back to an oldschool tv for now.till I can afford another one so 4 dead TVs and they are not even 3 yet! Thats why I really wanna go hiking I need a break that doesnt involve a break in a tv screen

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 pm 
Hey Dad! You havin' fun yet? wink.gif Be grateful that they didn't injure each other in the process. My older brothers set the upper story of the house on fire tossing firecrackers out their bedroom window. (Don't ask me how that's possible, but they did it.) Another older brother rolled my father's truck into a ditch down near Westport. I drove my father's 1971 Datsun 510 wagon off the side of the highway down into a ravine coming down from Crystal Mountain, and totaled every vehicle I owned until I was 32. It's the old "boys will be boys" thing. Old adages are old adages because generally there's some degree of truth to them. Just be sure to maintain a sense of humor about it. wink.gif

Fishing

Fishing
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 8:55 pm 
Oh in know it will get worse before it gets better. Hopefully they arnt as much of assholes as I was as a kid I was very crazy through elementary school I got kicked out of 2 elementary schools. They are good compared to some kids I know their age. Not many but some. At least they havnt seriously injured each other yet. Yet..... I'm just excited for them to be a little older so we can go fishing and hiking and camping all the stuff I loved as kid. and hell at least you had vehicles when you were younger I just got my first vehicle after my 25th birthday earlier this year after my first tax return.i drank too much when I was younger I probably would have ended up off a cliff in Capitol forest Also a good thing I didnt hike any peaks then well other then Capitol bit I dont count that.i probably would drunk walked right off the edge of a mountain walk towards my body and you'd think you were walking to a pot farm. A drunken pot farm.😀😁😆

Seattle_Wayne

Seattle_Wayne
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 12:16 pm 
Check out Washington Trails Association. There are thousands of peaks to climb in the Cascades.

Vesper Peak
Fishing

Fishing
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 1:51 pm 
Exactly that's why I'm asking here it's very difficult to choose when I have so many options. I mainly posted to get peoples suggestions that have done those hikes. If you have read the previous posts I have said that I've been using WTA I'm pretty much using this forum as a filter. I prefer to talk to people than just read trip reports trip reports plus Information from people that have done them since you cant ask questions on wta. And also hoping to find a partner that can make sure I dont get myself lost. Probably wont get lost pretty good at getting my self out of the woods as long as I have a compass and know which direction the closest road or trail was. But learning from the pros is a plus.i just wanna end up doing something that ends up being a little to rough towards the peak for me to make it. And have to turn around without accomplishing my goal. Make a long walk for nothing. Or get my self crushed by a boulder. Or something stupid

neek

neek
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 2:28 pm 
Camron wrote:
you cant ask questions on wta
If you create an account you can comment on trip reports. People often ask questions that way.
Camron wrote:
Make a long walk for nothing
Nonsense.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 3:26 pm 
^ Yeah. You buy a map, and a trail guide book, and you spend hours poring over the map and reading the descriptions of routes about which you have no clue. Fortunately, Harvey Manning allied himself with Ira Spring, who was a great photographer, and there were pretty pictures throughout the book. One of them would catch your eye and you'd say "Yeah! That's the one!" Then you'd drive for hours and hours to get to a trailhead you'd never been to before, get out of the car, and start walking. It's that "overcoming the fear of the unknown" thing that is part of the experience. As neek points out with his comment above - "nonsense" - there are no bad trails. Some are just better than others. After a couple years of trial and error, you get the hang of it, and get a bit more adventurous. Then you can drag two little boys up to the top of Mt. Margaret, look down at the tiny lakes on the other side, and say "Hey, let's go see what's down there!" and end up miles away from the trail, the car, on the wrong side of the mountain, about half an hour before sunset. If you're really lucky, somebody will pick you up and give you a lift back to your car, or you can have a nice walk along a gravel road with two tired hungry boys asking "Are we there yet?" It's all part of the adventure and learning experience. up.gif ( Disclaimer: No small boys were harmed in the making of this fiasco, and they had a great story to tell mom when they got home. )