Forum Index > Trail Talk > How much snow did ya get?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 2:11 pm 
Didn't get squat here by the airport. All total, maybe 1-1/2" on my deck from what fell yesterday and the day before. Pretty disappointing compared to last year!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 3:02 pm 
Everett got absolutely hammered! Oh wait, that was the 1916 storm.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 4:49 pm 
I just got home from a nice 9-ish mile XC ski on Hollywood Hill (near Woodinville). I'd say there was between 6" and 12" in open areas along the Tolt Pipeline between the Sammamish River and a little ways east of Bear Creek. A nice wave of pretty snowfall came toward the end of the ski, but it feels like it's also really warming up now. I was starting to get the big heavy "white high heels" sticking under my skis as I arrived at my house. Seems like about perfect timing for milking one more XC ski out of this fun round of lowland snow. Always a fun but somewhat rare treat. I hear Alpental was outstanding today but I really liked some kick and glide out the front door.

Kascadia

Kascadia
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 6:27 pm 
Full winter conditions this afternoon on Cable, LOL. There were some 2 foot powder drifts across the trail higher up, quite surprised to see that in the trees. It was a rather blustery day in the neighborhood. . . . And just south of Tiger Mtn. now, happy that the electrons are still flowing, the wind is howling and trees are laden with heavy crusted snow. . .

It is as though I had read a divine text, written into the world itself, not with letters but rather with essential objects, saying: Man, stretch thy reason hither, so thou mayest comprehend these things. Johannes Kepler
rossb

rossb
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 8:34 pm 
joker wrote:
I just got home from a nice 9-ish mile XC ski on Hollywood Hill (near Woodinville).
Oh wow, now you mention it. That is exactly the type of ski trip I wanted to know about on the other thread. I've actually been out there before too (I just didn't think of it). Oh well. I'm going to remember that for the future. I was up at the pass today, and it was a blast -- even though, like you said, there is nothing quite like skiing out your front door.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 9:04 pm 
Sorry I missed that thread Ross. The Tolt dies l does well even with relatively modest slights of snow. The are done side trails off it that require deeper snow fall than we've just had due to tree cover but the Tolt is very much out from under the trees thanks to the clear cut right of way. Some of the adjacent neighborhoods work pretty well too because our "sidewalks" are grassy horse paths.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostWed Jan 15, 2020 10:35 pm 
We've had 7 inches with a blasting cold northeastern on Orcas for the last two days straight, but it just jumped 14 degrees in two hours when the wind shifted. Already melting fast. Crazy weather.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:31 am 
We're still working on it this morning. It has warmed up to 12 degrees so the snow is sweepable on the steps but will have to use the Yooper Scooper on the rest. Just heard the snowplow go by.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 7:41 am 
still have not received the forcasted snow. ground is mostly bare and dry. lot of wind. yesterday sun was out most of the day under clear skies.....

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 11:30 am 
This would be 5 inches but still coming down nicely. Today is a balmy 15 degrees and warming! Barbie on the Barbie.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
mike

mike
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 12:27 pm 
Yesterday. Mostly gone this morning with the "warm" wind overnight.

RichP

RichP
PostThu Jan 16, 2020 12:47 pm 
We got about 2 feet but it's warming up today. Glad I got in some logging road skiing yesterday.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 3:08 pm 
First snow of the winter in Troutdale, OR at 300 feet. We got about an inch overnight, which was enough to have schools open 2 hours late. It has all melted now, and it appears we won't get below freezing anytime soon again.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey