Forum Index > Trail Talk > Garmin Inreach use question
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
thormond

thormond
PostSun Jan 19, 2020 12:33 pm 
I bought a Garmin Inreach Mini last Fall when REI had them on sale. I understand how it could be very useful if I get into trouble while hiking, climbing, or skiing in the backcountry. But I was wondering how to use it if I were to get into trouble while traveling on the road in an area with few other drivers and no cell phone coverage. I've been on roads in southern California and Nevada where there is no cell phone coverage and very few other drivers. Fortunately I've never had car problems in such places. But what if things go wrong and I need assistance? No cell service and no cars passing, perhaps for days, and miles from the nearest possibility of help. Assuming nobody has been injured but help is not close at hand what are the recommendations for using the Garmin Inreach to call for help? Has anyone ever been in such a situation? If so, did you use your Garmin Inreach (or comparable device) to call for help? I am assuming that to call for vehicle help via the SOS function is frowned upon/not allowed. Alway look on the bright side of life!

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostSun Jan 19, 2020 12:55 pm 
Using the SOS to call for car help would be like dialing 911 because you got a flat tire. I also got an InReach Mini during that sale and am happy to have it for driving back roads to remote trailheads. You can use the message function to send a text to one of your contacts with your location and your car issue, and they can call a tow truck or whatever for you. I haven't had to do this yet but I've heard of others who have.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 19, 2020 1:41 pm 
Bosterson wrote:
Using the SOS to call for car help would be like dialing 911 because you got a flat tire.
And depending where you are that might be appropriate. E.g. on route 190 through Death Valley in the summer a flat tire and no spare could be fatal. When you do a SOS signal the service messages you back about the nature of the problem and then contacts the appropriate agency.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostSun Jan 19, 2020 4:02 pm 
We got our InReach for exactly that reason: back country roads in the deserts. Our camper checklist has a few phone numbers we can have who's following us call if not a true emergency (since we have 20 gal water on board, food, etc.). Here's a few we've found:
Code:
CO: 720-722-1204 CA: SoCal Off-road Recovery on Facebook OR: Oregon 4x4 Rescue and Recovery Closed Group on Facebook WA: King and Sno have 4x4 SAR

Secret Agent Man

Secret Agent Man
PostSun Jan 19, 2020 4:10 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
Bosterson wrote:
Using the SOS to call for car help would be like dialing 911 because you got a flat tire.
And depending where you are that might be appropriate. E.g. on route 190 through Death Valley in the summer a flat tire and no spare could be fatal. When you do a SOS signal the service messages you back about the nature of the problem and then contacts the appropriate agency.
Death Valley flat tires have been fatal, there’s a fascinating body search story about one case. Short version: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_Valley_Germans Long version, which I recommend: https://www.otherhand.org/home-page/search-and-rescue/the-hunt-for-the-death-valley-germans/ FYI I wouldn’t hesitate to use my inreach mini to text my girlfriend if I had car issues outside of cell service. Probably would not do a full SOS but that’s why the inreach is better than a PLB - you can send a text and include the details.