Forum Index > Trail Talk > Parking garage and hotel at Stevens Pass?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 6:08 pm 
I like Schroder’s Suggestion. Less cars going over 2 would be helpful!

When I grow up I wanna play.
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSun Jan 19, 2020 2:05 pm 
Schroder wrote:
Perhaps the best solution is the one they use in Switzerland - build the parking in a less sensitive area down the highway and bus everyone up.
Stevens does provide a bus service and your bus ticket includes a 20% discount on your lift ticket https://snowbus.mtrwestern.com/

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 1:11 am 
treeswarper wrote:
To me, it's kind of like the salmon "crisis". We must take down the dams on the Snake River before we stop all salmon fishing. Yeah, right
You are really ignorant and should not speak (post) about things you do not understand.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:28 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
To me, it's kind of like the salmon "crisis". We must take down the dams on the Snake River before we stop all salmon fishing. Yeah, right
You are really ignorant and should not speak (post) about things you do not understand.
That's not an argument. Perhaps post one so we can judge for ourselves if we agree your target is ignorant, what it is he supposedly does not understand.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:29 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Then please elaborate. Give evidence. Cite experts. Why hasn't a fishing shutdown happened? We've improved the habitat in rural areas. Sea lions have been shot, cormorants scared, why is salmon fishing still legal? Enlighten me please. The same goes for parking lots. Restrictions are put on rural people. Why not restrict the size of parking? Reforest parts of the parking lots. YOU should be happy to make the sacrifice of using public transportation to get up to the ski area. Or are you one of those NIMBY/everybody else should do it hypocrites? This thread says it all--instead of making a choice to give up a little control and use public transport, a parking garage must be constructed or parking lots made bigger. To me, it makes more sense to reduce the traffic. Those who complain about the traffic problems are part of the traffic problem. Simple.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 10:11 am 
treeswarper wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
treeswarper wrote:
Then please elaborate. Give evidence. Cite experts. Why hasn't a fishing shutdown happened? We've improved the habitat in rural areas. Sea lions have been shot, cormorants scared, why is salmon fishing still legal? Enlighten me please. The same goes for parking lots. Restrictions are put on rural people. Why not restrict the size of parking? Reforest parts of the parking lots. YOU should be happy to make the sacrifice of using public transportation to get up to the ski area. Or are you one of those NIMBY/everybody else should do it hypocrites? This thread says it all--instead of making a choice to give up a little control and use public transport, a parking garage must be constructed or parking lots made bigger. To me, it makes more sense to reduce the traffic. Those who complain about the traffic problems are part of the traffic problem. Simple.
Halting fishing will not allow salmon to get past man made barriers and bring nutrients deep inland from the ocean. That's what salmon do. Trees grow bigger near healthy salmon streams. Salmon are a cornerstone species. We need them. I agree on the parking except that bus Randy linked to costs over 40 bucks. More than gas. I think they should charge for parking to cover the cost of a free (or real cheap) bus. Park at the good lots for 20 bucks. Park at the sh##ty lots for 10 bucks. Park in monroe and ride the bus for free.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 10:32 am 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Salmon are a cornerstone species. We need them.
Not nearly as much as the need for cheap emission-less power. For now the salmon are vastly less important than the dams.

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:24 am 
treeswarper wrote:
This thread says it all--instead of making a choice to give up a little control and use public transport, a parking garage must be constructed or parking lots made bigger. To me, it makes more sense to reduce the traffic. Those who complain about the traffic problems are part of the traffic problem. Simple.
As the person that titled this thread, I'm expressing my worry that these parking structures WILL be built. It sounds like a lot of us are in agreement that busing is the solution. Crystal and Stevens are stepping up efforts to do just that, and I really hope they decide not to build these structures. It sounds like Stevens is gung ho about 4 person carpools as well, though I suspect that's just going to give families a great parking space. The more I think about it, with Crystal at least, it seems like an expensive outlay for just a handful of busy weekends per year. If they did spend the money it seems like they probably have to ramp up efforts to get people out there for all four seasons, which is what ski areas across the country are doing. Building giant water parks and such. A few years ago I wouldn't have worried so much about any of this but with the current effort to dismantle environmental regulations, a lot more is possible.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:34 am 
Thinking statistically, having a fishing moratorium for EVERYBODY would increase salmon survival. There would be an increase in fish going up the river and more would make it past the dams. I'm talking about the dams with fish ladders. More fish not being netted and hooked means more fish going upriver, more fish going around dams. The other dams may someday be passable by use of the fish cannon. Now, back to the terrible awful problem of parking.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 12:21 pm 
thunderhead wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
Salmon are a cornerstone species. We need them.
Not nearly as much as the need for cheap emission-less power. For now the salmon are vastly less important than the dams.
Are you serious? Whales are starving to death because there arent enough salmon.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 1:31 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Whales are starving to death because there arent enough salmon.
Some not particularly endangered whales are also vastly less important than the large amounts of clean energy provided by those dams. Even from a purely environmental view.

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 1:55 pm 
If you really want to feed the whales, restore the salmon hatcheries. Oh, and kill yourself because the problem really boils down to an overpopulation of people. hockeygrin.gif That would be one less parking spot needed at ski areas.

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 2:31 pm 
Looks like someone needs a time out.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 2:56 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
This thread says it all--instead of making a choice to give up a little control and use public transport, a parking garage must be constructed or parking lots made bigger. To me, it makes more sense to reduce the traffic.
Classic false choice, based on poor black and white reasoning. With the massive increase in the region's population, it's not an either/or choice. We can increase parking AND increase the degree to which people pack more bodies into cars and to which they take shuttle buses to go ski. But then from the less relevant portions of your postings in this thread it's clear you mostly want to troll here so you probably don't mean for this to be a thoughtful argument.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 4:48 pm 
treeswarper wrote:
If you really want to feed the whales, restore the salmon hatcheries. Oh, and kill yourself because the problem really boils down to an overpopulation of people. hockeygrin.gif That would be one less parking spot needed at ski areas.
I dont park at ski areas and I chose not to reproduce.