Forum Index > Trail Talk > Suggestions? New to hiking
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fishing

Fishing
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 4:25 pm 
Well I know it wouldnt really be for nothing I'd still get to go fishing if.im at the right spot but still not feeling totally accomplished I'm sure you know what i mean and thanks I'll have to create an account Btw i did just go get 2 books ones for here in eastern wa by craig romano that's the only romano book at the library and the other is day hikes in central cascades by Mike mcquaide .

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 4:52 pm 
Trip reports here tend to be more detailed than WTA because there are so many more pictures.

Bernardo

Bernardo
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 5:27 pm 
Even though I often think a lot about where I want to go and sometimes it's hard to decide, I've never gone out on hike and come back saying, "Man, I wish I went somewhere else." Every hike has been good for me so far. So don't sweat it too much. Just make the time to go, and have the gear you need to have fun and be safe. With regard to kids, you really have to tailor for their needs, and their needs are very different from ours. A mud puddle might suffice for a good time.

Damian

Damian
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 5:52 pm 
Dive in Camron. You’ll soon start discovering your own style and opinions. Learning is a big part of the fun and it never ends.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 7:56 pm 
Camron: I drove down to the main branch of the Seattle Public Library and checked out every edition of Spring & Manning's "101 Hikes" series. (You want to check out every edition because they changed the content from one to the next.) I would imagine that if your local public library does not have them on the shelf, they should be able to finagle an inter-library loan for you. (I remember Seattle Public Library procuring one of Linda Schele's volumes on the Mayan hieroglyphs for me from Texas!) As they say in the library business: Check it out! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Fishing

Fishing
PostFri Jan 17, 2020 11:02 pm 
I'll have to go back and get more I did see some Manning's books. And I did put the romano backpacking book on hold and his central cascades book. I am seeing some that look interesting in the central cascade book I just got along with some I already had looked at. I got months to plan I'm just putting to much thought Into it right now. I'll go check out ancient lakes when the snow melts maybe calm me down a little. Also found some near Wenatchee for early season. And one overlooking Wenatchee lake looks nice. Its hard to choose all the ones with the best views look like the most intense but that makes it worth it like a few around the enchantments which I know I'll probably never do after reading through here. but the book marks them as extreme because of the distance so probably start with the early season ones decide of I can do the distance first.Thanks for all the tips everybody. Now I'm just looking into gear and what permits or passes I will need.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 8:29 am 
It's already been mentioned but one of the nearest areas to you is also the best early season peakbagging and fairly easy terrain - up the North Fork Teanaway River. Navaho Peak, Earl Peak, Iron Peak, Koppen, etc.. Not in the Cascades, but there's also some pretty nice hiking in the Tucannon-Wenaha Wilderness south of Pomeroy and Dayton that's closer to you than for most people here. Further south you have the Wallowa Mountains.

Fishing

Fishing
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 8:45 am 
Navajo peak was on my to do list as well same with earlpeak and ironpeak I think those were some of the first ones I saw when looking at maps I'll have to look at those other ones I saw pictures of navaho that looks great but maybe too much for a beginner.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:24 pm 
Get a map. Pick a trail. Hike it. You won't be disappointed. Pick another trail. Hike it. Again, you won't be disappointed. Lather, rinse, and repeat until there are no more trails. That will likely be 3 lifetimes from now.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 9:28 pm 
I think they're trying to tell you to just give up on the tv. I haven't used one for over a decade now - it's fabulous!

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:14 pm 
Manning books are outdated, I would not trust them as a sole source, but you may get good inspiration from them. The writing style is more spirited ( no offense to Craig Romano). Road washouts, trail additions, regulation changes, etc. are discussed Romano's books, which are current ( within reason). Manning books haven't been updated in nearly two decades (?). Fun for nostalgia here and there. Don't confuse yourself. Just pick something and go. Don't get in a wad about gear. Just go. You'll get comfy with making choices as you get out more. At first, just...go.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
snowmonkey

snowmonkey
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 7:25 am 
Kim Brown wrote:
Just pick something and go. Don't get in a wad about gear. Just go. You'll get comfy with making choices as you get out more. At first, just...go.
Well said! PNW never disappoints!

Ocian in view! O! The joy! William Clark
Fishing

Fishing
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 7:41 pm 
Well this thread helped me alot I knew nothing about the seasons up there and all you helped me and I did go get romano books and the mountaneering book that was suggested that helped me on gear. Thanks everyone for all the advice I did find some people to go with me for my first few trips

80skeys

80skeys
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 5:09 pm 
Fishing wrote:
And also wondering what I should bring with besides the basic food water and first aid.
You should always take with you the necessary equipment to live for a day or two (including overnight) in the mountains in case you are unexpectedly stuck there, even though it's only a day hike. Especially the farther you hike and the farther you expect to get away from people. you can pack all you need into a small lightweight day pack: * space blanket or very lightweight unobtrusive sleeping bag * something to start fires with: matches, lighter, firestarting pellets * water is most important but a little nourishment is good too. I pack Soylent because you can definitely subsist on it for days if needed and it's light. • Other people will balk at this, but I carry a water filter in my daypack • whistle (the idea here is that it's much easier to blow into a whistle for help and have people hear you than it is to try to yell, especially if you are injured) • ibuprofen • poncho/windbreaker if you're not already carrying one • illumination (headlamp with spare batteries) • pocket knife • compass • nylon cord (the so-called parachute cord) • thin, lightweight long johns if overnight mountain temperatures are expected to be low (I use cloudcroft base layer, I can't remember what materials they are made of but they are the warmest long johns I've ever had and they're super light and packable) Brand of gear is not especially important, nor is price point or other things. What's important is to carry this stuff and to try to make it fairly light and unobtrusive.