Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 10:12 pm 
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 11:46 pm 
Rutabagas, turnips, ho hum, they are just a spicy potato imo.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
tmatlack

tmatlack
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 4:24 am 
Rutabaga key ingredient in Cornwall/Welsh pasties...the miner's meat pie. Tom

ale_capone

ale_capone
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 7:14 am 
Neeps and tatties! Only for sheep and Scots. We grow them, but not with great success. Some type of very very small bugs go after all our beats, radishes, and turnips. Even the nice ones dont get that big. Did you ever notice how turnips and beets taste like rain? That's because they contain geosmin. The same thing you smell just before it rains after a long dry period.

BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:29 am 
These rutabaga forward dishes look bad

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:41 am 
tmatlack wrote:
Rutabaga key ingredient in Cornwall/Welsh pasties...the miner's meat pie. Tom
Boy Howdy, ain't that the truth! Rutabaga's are THE secret ingredient to a great stew, meat pastie-pie, soup..... Yessir! They mystify most grocery clerks. They don't know what the hell they are.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
gb

gb
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:42 am 
Odd as it may seem, I actually have a story about Rutabaga. When I was in my teens and after that for awhile - another decade or two - there was a magnificent old ferry boat that looked like a smaller version of the great passenger liners of the past era named the Princess Marguerite http://www.evergreenfleet.com/princess_marguerite2.html It must have been when I was 14 or 15; my Mom took my sister (who is 3-1/2 years younger than I) and me on the Princess Marguerite to Victoria, BC. The ship was an old classic with decor like that of the Titanic with twin stacks. As we lived where we had a view of the Sound I would often watch the Princess Marguerite pass on it's daily runs. The ship had a beautiful dining room and we ate dinner on board during the journey. I don't recall exactly what I had for dinner - maybe roast beef - but there was also this cubed orange item that looked like Canteloupe. Well, I took a bite of that and .....uhhh. Not Cantaloupe. I liked to tease my Sister (and still do in a nice way) and said out loud, "Oh Boy, Cantaloupe." She took an enthusiastic single bite and spit it out. We still laugh about this, often when we are eating Cantaloupe. I like Cantaloupe. I kind of doubt I've had Rutabaga since, although my Mom did serve a side of Turnips which were not appreciated, and more tolerable Parsnips several times.

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 12:37 pm 
gb wrote:
Odd as it may seem, I actually have a story about Rutabaga. When I was in my teens and after that for awhile - another decade or two - there was a magnificent old ferry boat that looked like a smaller version of the great passenger liners of the past era named the Princess Marguerite http://www.evergreenfleet.com/princess_marguerite2.html
Well, I can't recall any Rutabagas in my life, but I sure remember the old Princess. We had cousins in Victoria and took the old gal up to visit them a couple times during my childhood. Who can forget that jaunty jingle? "Take a Princess to sea!...."

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 12:45 pm 
When I was a kid we had an elderly polish couple as next door neighbors. They were amazing gardeners. Every so often to my dread he would appear at our front door with an armful of root crops including rutabaga, turnips, parsnips, and beets with the cheerful cry of, “Anyone want some beets!”. My mother would dutifully cook them for dinner the next few weeks. I did not and do not like beets. crybaby.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Alpendave

Alpendave
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 12:56 pm 
Love rutabaga. Raw or in stew. If someone offered me free rutabaga, turnips, or beets and I trusted them, I’d be one happy dude

seawallrunner
dilettante

seawallrunner
dilettante
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:00 pm 
Yummy mashed rutabaga are a lovely substitute to evil riced cauliflower, which are a substitute to delicious potatoes (esp mashed potatoes)

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 9:40 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
When I was a kid we had an elderly polish couple as next door neighbors. They were amazing gardeners. Every so often to my dread he would appear at our front door with an armful of root crops including rutabaga, turnips, parsnips, and beets with the cheerful cry of, “Anyone want some beets!”. My mother would dutifully cook them for dinner the next few weeks. I did not and do not like beets. crybaby.gif
I have liked pickled beets since I was very young, still do...but then I like nearly anything sweet. Parsnips to me taste like sweet potatoes.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.