Forum Index > Gear Talk > Camping on snow
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
canadug

canadug
PostSun Jan 19, 2020 8:44 pm 
I would also take a really good look at the health of the trees near where you are planning to camp.....Went backcountry skiing last weekend and we ended up camping further away from some dodgy looking trees. Glad we did as two of those trees collapsed in the middle of the night.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Navy salad

Navy salad
PostWed Jan 22, 2020 1:05 pm 
I also like to put TWO space blankets on the tent floor, which goes a long ways toward keeping the tent floor a bit more friendly.

pula58

pula58
PostThu Jan 23, 2020 8:52 pm 
Learn ALL about avalanche safety first, before anything!

WaState

WaState
PostThu Jan 30, 2020 12:26 pm 
Sounds like fun. Some repeat suggestions. A practice run for yourself is good. If fresh snow snow shoes are nice. It is nice to have ice trekker cleats for icy trails. Some hazards watch out for flowing water under the snow especially on steep ground. Also can fall in, going over snow bridge creek crossings. Dead branches overhead. Check NWAC for avalanche conditions. Rule of thumb fresh snow and wind means higher avalanche danger. Safer ground is inside the trees and on ridge lines. Less safe ground is gulleys , open steep ground, bottom of bowls. Get a book and study, a good topic to discuss. A snow cave is really good for for below freezing temps, but remember it is not warm or that dry. It is better if really cold and windy outside. Otherwise likely better off with on the surface debris shelter with a fire. A lot of stories of scouts freezing to death in a snow hole. Making a a snow hole or cave takes a lot of work, time, energy, and as about warm as climbing into a freezer. Usually get wet building a snow hole. To me a snow hole is the last option for survival shelter without proper gear. A planned snow cave with good sleeping bag, bivy bag and pads etc does work , especially in really cold windy weather. A tarp is a great shelter. Can take a large square tarp put a trekking pole under the center with a tie in there and make a teepee shaped shelter. Endless hours can be had making different types of shelters with or without tarps, countless ways to make fire and different tools to make fire etc. In the UK leaders carry group bothy bags, check it out online. But in the UK it is really windy and cold on the mountains, so most usefull on top of a windy mountain, ie if taking a group to the top of mt baker. A couple of years a scouting group got in trouble on top of mt Baker. Remember kids can run to zero energy quickly. It is best to have a sleeping bag 20 degrees warmer than expected temp. Is best to have a least 2 closed cell foam pads on snow. Have a ice axe and teach self arrest. Can self arrest with ski pole in armpit. Learn this and teach it. Have a kid bring a guitar, sing some eveing songs, have fun.

FiresideChats

FiresideChats
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 8:52 pm 
Invaluable help everyone. I'm basically planning on a 2-year rollout as I gather gear and experience.

Eric Hansen

Eric Hansen
PostSat Feb 29, 2020 9:54 pm 
Phil, If you are by yourself, or with an all male group, consider taking a pee jar. An older wide mouth water bottle will do just fine. Just be sure to mark it well. I put multiple layers of duct tape in an X pattern on mine. Saves you having to put on boots, step outside for middle of the night nature calls.

Off trail rambler
pcg

pcg
PostSun Mar 01, 2020 10:07 am 
If you are thinking of making any kind of shelter in the snow, a snow saw is worth its weight in gold, and can make a two hour sweaty exhausting chore into a 30-min. warmup.