Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:16 pm 
WaState wrote:
Buy the best foot ware you can afford. Not a good place to save money.
Yes, this ^! Actually, spend more than you think you can afford if what fits well is more expensive than you thought you could afford! And even more important, is to have shoes/boots properly fitted to your foot by someone who *knows* what they're doing. This will end up saving you money and and serious aches, and/or damage to your feet...which is quite costly and painful.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:23 pm 
With the cautions on properly fitting footwear (extremely individual!) I also want to add a caution on the backpack. Backpack fit is almost as individual as shoe fit! The backpack must fit your body, fit your gear, and be comfortable for you with the gear inside. That's why the general recommendation is to buy the backpack last, taking your gear to the store with you for fitting. The big temptation is to buy the pack first, often insuring (unless you're lucky) a lot of discomfort. Be sure your gear includes mockups (in weight and bulk) of several days' (or a week's) food.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
WaState

WaState
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 12:55 pm 
https://cascadeclimbers.com/forum/topic/101389-bear-paw-wilderness-designs-tarp/ One way to do it for shelter. Can be very inexpensive with blue tarp.

Fishing

Fishing
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:36 pm 
I might stick with the sleeping bag I found it seems to have the best temperature rating and weight for the price. Im trying to stick very low budget right now. And upgrade later when I can afford it. I do appreciate all the tips. I will go with either a tarp set up as mentioned or find another cheap but sturdy tent not a pop up now that you informed me about those. Most of the items I'm finding are used or on sale I'd have to say the most I can spend on a tent is around 40$ I'm seeing a few I'm going through reviews. I'm lived in cheaper tents in the snow and rain. So I figure I should be able to do a 3 day trip in one better than i lived in.. maybe a mistake but I have to try. I dont plan on doing alot of trips yet so hopefully it works for me.for short term. I think the only downside of a tarp setup is using it on my side.od the mountains snakes were a big issue when I was homeless years ago. Had a rattlesnake try to get in my tent ithen I moved and it left after rattling after I got still again dont want that happening with a tarp I know that's a rare occurrence but still could happen.. I'm trying to find the best thing for cheap. I'm trying to listen to all of your suggestions. So I will also be looking at other stores and checking ebay I'm using google shopping and ebay to find stuff along with Amazon.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 2:47 pm 
I can hook you up with some good used gear, cheap. I have a Big Agnes Insulated Air Core Mummy pad, $20. I would still be using it but I wanted a wider pad. Originally about a hundred bucks. Also have a Mountain Hardwear Stiletto one person tent, $40. This tent has been to many cool places, the Eagle Cap wilderness in Oregon, the Wind River range in Wyoming, the Sierras, and others. I bought it from a member here, used, but it is still in great condition. I replaced it with a lighter tent but that cost me over $500! I have a Mountain Hardwear down bag with hood, 30 degree rated, I forget the model name. $30, originally about 300, but again I got it used from a member here for $140. Nothing wrong with it, I just upgraded to a higher fill # down bag with “waterproofed” down from Zpacks. Cost me $350 to upgrade. Also a Golite Jam pack. $20. This is a frameless pack, not for everyone, but I really liked it. You have to pack things in the same way each time, being stuffed properly is what gives it its stiffness (hence the name). I have a generic Costco down jacket, a “micropuffy”, size xxl. $10. I would wear it but I can’t zip it up anymore, too much belly. It’s trim for an xxl, I wear that size all the time. Also a titanium cookpot, evernew I think, it was given to me by a member here, free to a good home. That’s most of what you need to get out there, for a total of $120 if you liked all the items. I saved three pounds by upgrading from this gear, but it cost me $1400. Hmm, Google maps says you are 197 miles away from me (Interbay in Seattle). Ouch. lol.gif

Fishing

Fishing
PostFri Jan 24, 2020 3:32 pm 
Slugman I'll send you a pm