Previous :: Next Topic
Fishing

Fishing
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 10:33 am 

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 11:32 am 
I doubt that you will find out here; nearly all fishermen want to keep their favorite places secret! As a general rule, the farther you get from roads, the better the fishing will be, assuming the lake or stream is stocked. Both Washington and Oregon have complicated fishing rules, so advance study is strongly advised.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 1:11 pm 
Camron, the fishing in high lakes is very often much more sensitive then it generally is in low lakes. Small high lakes are often stocked with a very low number of fish and they normally grow slowly. Along the way there is a lot of natural and angling mortality so when you find large fish there are generally very few in the lake. There are often 100 or fewer fish stocked in small high lakes. In addition, many high lakes have sensitive shorelines. If we create a sudden increase traffic to specific locations by posting their locations on social media we could do lasting damage to both the fishery and to sensitive shorelines. The fish are there for you to catch, and much of the fun is exploring and finding those special spots. All that being said, there are many, many high lakes that are not particularly sensitive. They may be overpopulated with fish and in those situations increased angling mortality will only help the lake. Or they could be larger lakes that are stocked with enough fish to handle increased fishing pressure. So I'm not saying that nobody should ever talk about fishing in specific high lakes. But I do think that discretion is wise. My favorite high lake will be the next one I visit that I've never been to. I love exploring new high lakes more then anything else. And the less I know about them ahead of time the better. [edit, Camron changed his screen name to Ahole after this was written]

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 1:32 pm 
Camron, you made a mistake in your first post. You ask others for info but you gave zero yourself. Then you seem angry that others won’t respond. First you should tell us your favorite lakes, then ask others. Otherwise it doesn’t sound right when you say you are just trying to start a conversation. Also, how can you be a fisherman and not know that some do not like to share info with strangers on the internet? Also doesn’t sound right. Then when you say “shut up and share” you sound like a dummy. Why so angry at everyone when you are exactly the person you claim to hate? This thread is garbage from the first word. Grow up, learn some manners, and try thinking before posting.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 3:25 pm 
Fishermen have always been a bit secretive about their favorite fishing spots, and even more so with Social Media and Search Engines. The best mountain lake fishing that I have found are those I have found when another hiker has actually taken me to them. I will take others to these lakes to fish but I will not tell them where they are. I am not so much worried about them being "Fished Out" as I am about crowding and lack of solitude. In addition, many of these lakes have very limited areas to pitch a tent. As I said about social media and the large increase in the number of hikers these days, makes it even more important to limit exposure, for a variety of reasons. I will tell you of a place with lakes everywhere, all full of fish and fish that bite like it's their last meal. That's the Wind River Range in Wyoming. It is already well know, so it's no secret. Out my way is Helena lake, it has fish, a decent amount and size (so I have heard) but there is no trail to it, the terrain is brutal and steep, the brush very thick and route finding difficult. So, I would actually encourage people to go there and fish, maybe they will blaze a trail and establish a route, so an old guy like me could actually go there and fish. Camron, you are new here, so try to keep an open mind, read and learn. Listen to what Brian Curtis say's, he is the most knowledgeable person I know on the subject. As for the Slugbug, just tune him out, he is a angry and rude curmudgeon. However what he wrote above, although harsh is also correct.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 4:37 pm 
Camron wrote:
And just to make slugman happy.
Yea...Good luck with that!

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 4:45 pm 
Williams Lake up the MFK is one of my faves. Big fish with FAT tails so they fight hard. You have to be patient though, you could fish all day and not even get a nibble! https://www.topozone.com/map/?lat=47.55104&lon=-121.24752

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 5:07 pm 
To get there you need to endure 7 miles of gated road, then I think it's another 7 miles of overgrown trail but make for good initiation. hockeygrin.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 5:14 pm 
As Tom said, the high mountain lakes can be very hit and miss, hot one day nada the next. One tip is that when fishing mountain lakes the cutthroat trout like to frequent rocky shorelines. I have also found the larger ones near the inlet stream usually right where the deep water meets shallow. The first lake I fly fished here in N Idaho on my first trip there I caught and released probably 40 fish of varying size, now a few years later one is lucky to catch 2-3. In addition in another example of fisherman's secrecy, the lake I mentioned is only a couple hundred yards off the road, but not visible. I was coming up here for a few years before I finally found it. Then a couple of years ago, I noticed a new wooded carved sign for the lake on a cedar tree by the road. Then a few weeks later it was gone. Pretty sure it was this guy I encountered before who was acting like he was a game warden, making sure no one was using bait or barbless hooks, (it's a selective fishery lake, no barbed hooks or bait) but you can retain 2 fish. Essentially he was harassing other fisherman that he didn't know, and I would bet he took the sign. Being secretive about fishing spots is one thing, but that guy is flat out ridiculous.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 5:15 pm 
Tom wrote:
To get there you need to endure 7 miles of gated road, then I think it's another 7 miles of overgrown trail but make for good initiation. hockeygrin.gif
Do you take your electric bike on the gated road?

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 5:20 pm 
Oh, don't tell me you're going there too now for the BIG fat tailed fish. clown.gif I haven't been up there since they gated the road at Dingford.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 6:08 pm 
See Tom that's the problem with divulging fishing spots...say you are up there fishing this summer, you are all by yourself, enjoying a beautiful day and solitude. All of a sudden I show up...that might be annoying.

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 6:14 pm 
It's OK, need more folks to brush it out before I head up the DMG trail.

Fishing

Fishing
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 6:20 pm 
Not really company is always nice fishing gotta have someone to out fish. I dont like fishing by myself I like some friendly competition plus it gives you chance to cover more ground and see where the fish are. I'm always afraid of moving thinking as soon as I do they are gonna be where I was. Another person gives you the ability to scout the shoreline more

Damian

Damian
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 7:54 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
As for the Slugbug, just tune him out
Well that would be a mistake. He shares tons of great info here about destinations, canoeing, gear, and most recently fitness.