Forum Index > Trail Talk > Should the USFS amend leases to allow ski areas to stay open longer?
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
kbatku
Questionable hiker

kbatku
Questionable hiker
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 1:04 pm 
I've noticed a trend over the past four or five years where the heavy snows come later in the year (this one excluded wink.gif ). This leaves tons of good downhill left over at the end of the year when the ski areas are forced to close due to their leases. It would seem sensible to build in some kind of review process where the resorts were allowed to stay open longer in deep snow years.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
jinx'sboy

jinx'sboy
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 1:21 pm 
Ski Areas operate under a Special Use Permit - not a lease - from the USFS. There is no standard clause dealing with length of the operating season in those permits. I dealt with several different ski permits during my time with the agency. There could be some over-riding constraint - a wildlife corridor, for example. And the NEPA allowing an expansion, for instance might include such a constraint. Then, that could be reflected in the Annual Operating Plan. But, I think that would be pretty rare. Ski areas usually close because they run out of skiers, not snow. I’ve always noticed that when the valley bottoms are snow free and people start gardening, playing tennis, biking, etc, ski thoughts go away for many. And the kids spring type school sports contribute, too, I’d think.

nordique

nordique
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 2:02 pm 
Some of us old-timers prefer to ski at areas after they close. Free skiing, no snowboarders, warm sunny weather, great views--and lots of fine exercise walking or skiing uphill!

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 2:07 pm 
FWIW: Crystal's SUP has a closing date set based on elk calving season. The SUP allows them to reopen later in the spring after calving season is completed. Most years there isn't enough snow for this post season that involves using the gondola and the Green Valley chair. Alpental usually strives to have a closing date aligned with the weekend close to May 5th and they have a big Cinco De Mayo party to close the season. The snowpack doesn't always cooperate. Past president's week in February almost every skier is a season's pass holder. Revenue in March and April is almost 100% from the bar.

Waterman

Waterman
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 2:39 pm 
Late season is usually pass holders up there. They dont spend money on anything of real value. After 10 days or so the pass is payed for. The ticket buying public have moved onto other activities. This is the group that spends freely.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 3:21 pm 
Throat history Ski Areas closed due to lake of Skiers not lack of snow. Snow pack usually peaked in April to May and the number of skiers drops to near zero by the end of March. Exception being Alpy in a good year being open Cinco de Mayo and rarely Fathers Day but those are more parties than serious skiing.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
reststep

reststep
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 4:05 pm 
Do they still have the slush cup at Mt. Baker ski area?

"The mountains are calling and I must go." - John Muir
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 5:18 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
those are more parties than serious skiing.
Skiing should never be serious. clown.gif tongue.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 5:33 pm 
Cabin Creek had a SUP allowing them to groom until the end of March. Last year they got an extension until April 15. The skiing wasn't great because the score was so soft. I know that's not the kind most of you are thinking of.

Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 6:23 pm 
Stevens Pass is scheduled to be open until April 19th this season, about typical. They usually go another week after it's closed to the public hosting private events. The snow starts to go pretty quickly after that, though I can remember a couple of seasons about 10 years ago where we were skinning up the runs in the middle of June and able to ski back to the lodge. The snow usually gets so sticky from pollen toward the end of the season.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jan 25, 2020 6:49 pm 
reststep wrote:
Do they still have the slush cup at Mt. Baker ski area?
Not since the '80s I believe. I went to a Baker Slush Cup on 4th of July in the '70s -- this was when the ski area was still had their arm socket ripping Austin Pass rope tow as part of their lift system. 1976 Slush Cup WM Video

kiliki

kiliki
PostMon Jan 27, 2020 5:29 pm 
jinx'sboy wrote:
Ski areas usually close because they run out of skiers, not snow. I’ve always noticed that when the valley bottoms are snow free and people start gardening, playing tennis, biking, etc, ski thoughts go away for many. And the kids spring type school sports contribute, too, I’d think.
^^^ This, And what others have alluded to – – ski areas don't make money past a certain point. So, you don't see them lobbying for extended seasons. Something you see on ski forums a lot is people trying to figure out where to take Christmas break ski trips where there will be abundant snow, and longtime skiers trying to talk them into taking a spring break ski trip instead. Christmas snow just about everywhere is unpredictable whereas many places have a solid snowpack in April. It rarely works. People don't want to ski then, or they can't because their kids are doing sports, or they are gardening or golfing, etc. I look forward to skiing in April here because the crowds are gone, even on weekends with new snow.

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie

DigitalJanitor
Dirt hippie
PostMon Jan 27, 2020 6:00 pm 
Yup, even the best XC skiing is in February and March (assuming it hangs in there long enough). Long daylight, stable older snow cover, empty parking lots. Husband and I had one glorious vacation up at Sun Mountain that we accidentally booked for February superbowl weekend because we just never bother with any kind of sportsball. I've been begging for a repeat ever since but apparently I don't rate well enough, lol.

~Mom jeans on wheels
Sky Hiker

Sky Hiker
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 6:04 am 
Seems pretty much long enough. Besides the Ski traffic jams need to change to the Apple Blossom, Leavenworth, and east side seeker traffic jams.

christensent

christensent
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 am 
I wonder if Stevens could technically stay open year round if they had enough snow, or if their lease is very specific on skiing during these dates, and biking during these dates. Anyone know how that works for them legally?

Learning mountaineering: 10% technical knowledge, 90% learning how to eat