Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Favorite lake to fish
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostMon Jan 27, 2020 8:19 pm 
Waptus is quite productive.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Fishing

Fishing
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 12:03 am 
I was looking into josephine. And another one with golden trout but last time they were stocked was 2017. But still worth a try even just for the hike.

Fishing

Fishing
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 12:04 am 
I sent an email to wdfw bout regs for a few lakes since highland lakes dont show up in the regs.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 12:19 am 
Black lake north east of Winthrop. Wa is supposed to hold some xtra big cutthroat. I went there about 6+ years ago, but it was October, cold and windy, so no luck fishing. The hike was pretty fun and interesting to see the landscape from a couple of previous wildfires. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8008022

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 6:20 am 
A hole wrote:
but last time they were stocked was 2017.
Fish stocked in 2017 will probably just be getting up to a decent size to catch this year. In high lakes fish are stocked as fry and they have very short growing seasons. But in certain circumstances they can live a long time. That's why you will sometimes see stocking intervals that stretch out to 8 or 10 years between plants, though 4 to 6 years is more typical.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 9:34 am 
Go to Blue Lake ( North Cascades ) @ the top of Washington Pass. It's a beautiful drive, a short distance to hike, a beautiful hike and the golden trout at the outlet are always eager to bite

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 9:56 am 
All the Jordan's are excellent.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 10:23 am 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Go to Blue Lake ( North Cascades ) @ the top of Washington Pass. It's a beautiful drive, a short distance to hike, a beautiful hike and the golden trout at the outlet are always eager to bite
That is an excellent recommendation. But, just to be clear, that lake has cutthroat trout, not golden trout.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Fishing

Fishing
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 1:09 pm 
I was looking at that lake on wdfw it's another one that got my attention. Cutthroats are something I was intrested in catching along with golden trout. I've caught cutthroats and cutbows but most of the cutthroats I have got were very small

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 3:42 pm 
The biggest fish are in the North Cascades, and or DEEP inside the Olympics. Now, since those geographical regions are SO HUGE, I dont think Im giving anything away here. LOL

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 3:48 pm 
Also Cougar, and Big and Middle Hiddens in the Pasayten. If you're headed to the Hidden's, get some leader which can handle small salmon. You have been warned, I'm glad I had been so I'm passing it on.

Fishing

Fishing
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 7:34 pm 
What's everyone's prefers method to fishing mountain lakes? Not asking your favorite bait or lure not trying to get your secrets. Just the method that has worked the best.in your experience. Fly fishing, lures, or bait dont like my question dont respond not trying to start more drama here. For lowland lakes well lakes that allow it I usually run two poles one for lures and one out with bait till I realize what's working better. But from what i understand most high lakes follow basic freshwater rules which would mean no two pole so it would be one or the other my guess would be lures since a quite a few of the lakes have a naturally producing fish population and my experience is wild fish usually hit lures more than bait.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 8:17 pm 
I have had pretty much equally good results from a spinning type lure such as a rooster tail or similar knockoff, I also like a small red and white spoon. But I prefer using a fly because it's more fun to catch them that way. I usually use a dry fly, which can be fished wet or dry. An orange or red humpy have worked well for me for cutthroat. I have caught fish floating a dry fly and then as I'm rowing back to shore, many times I will catch fish while trolling the dry fly wet. The thing about cutthroat trout, especially in the higher elevation lakes is that they are voracious feeder and will hit damn near anything. I was at a lake once in the N Cascades and while were preparing to leave, I noticed a pretty large cutt rising to floating insects in clear water. It was fun to watch so I decided I wanted a pic of it. I missed the first shot so I took a short piece of twig, tied a bit of grass on it, threw it in the water and in a few seconds the trout rose to it, inhaled it and spit it out through it's gills. I still did not get the pic because I had one of those cheap Nikkon pocket cameras and there was a shutter delay. Another reason why the newer cell phones are better for pics.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 8:42 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
The thing about cutthroat trout, especially in the higher elevation lakes is that they are voracious feeder and will hit damn near anything
https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8028319

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Fishing

Fishing
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 9:02 pm 
Boot path guy ive heard of that before ive also seen people use huckleberrys I've seen trout hanging oddly close to the bank in shallow water i thought they were just coming up for bugs but when I cut my way across the shore I noticed the huckleberry Bush hanging right over the water so my friend had the idea to put one hishook with no weight and just dropped it few feet from shore and almost instantly had a nice trout on. Ive also seen fishing reports of people using blueberries. I know bass and bluegill will also eat blackberries. I threw a handful of blackberries in the water and watched them get devoured by the bluegill I did it again on other side of the dock and here comes a big bass out from under the dock and gulped down a few BlackBerrys. Doesnt surprise me that lake had blackberry bushes all along the shoreline. And I had read before that fish will hang out under berry bushes at the end of the season when they are falling off