Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Favorite lake to fish
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fishing

Fishing
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 9:08 pm 
Chief Joseph. That's what I have been reading I know cutthroat can be very aggressive feeders I was a reading a report on here bout a guy stocking a lake and watching the adult cutthroat go into a feeding frenzy gulping up all the newly stocked minnows. I used to fly fish in high school it's been years though. Never really got it down i just needed more practice. That must have been nice to bad you didnt get the picture

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 9:06 am 
Trout are strictly carnivorous. When they are hanging under brush close to shore they are looking for bugs. But if they are hungry enough they won't be picky when something hits the water. You will often find needles or other debris in their stomachs (note that these generally come from eating cased caddis off the bottom, but at times you will find them from surface feeding). So if they hit a huckleberry it is because they were targeting the disturbance in the water and in a lake with too many fish and not enough it pays to be aggressive on the take. I once tied a rubber band to a bare hook and had no trouble catching fish. But they will generally be for more selective. As far as gear goes, that isn't a topic that will cause controversy. There isn't any one single answer. I've been to lakes where only flies would work and I've been to lakes where only hardware would work. And keep in mind that you can fly fish with spinning gear using a fly and bubble setup. I don't enjoy fishing with bait so I never do it. Sometimes the fish will be cruising the shallows along the shore, sometimes they will be down deep, and sometimes they will be shallow but in the middle of the lake. Sometimes you will find them only in certain areas. You should have a multi-piece rod with a small spinning reel and 4 lb test line. (no heavier then 6 lb test, but I prefer 4). I like lures that are either 3/16 oz (Daredevle or Kamlooper Jr) or ¼ oz (Jakes Spin-a-Lure) in red/brass combos or orange/brass combos. I carry a selection of flies, but elk hair caddis are my general go to. If I'm fishing from an inflatable raft I will often troll an F5 or F7 Flatfish in red, orange, or sometimes black.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 9:19 am 
Good tips I thought maybe the huckleberrys were just luck. Initially I thought they were going for bugs so that probably is what it was I'll have to.look into that fly setup.. I just bought a 6ft collapsible pole for hiking with. But maybe I will just bring my regular rod. I will just have to change.my line I usually run 8lb but I use this rod and tell for everything from trout to bass and walleye. And it's really rocky around here so I run into a lot of snags so I run a little heavier line to pull out of the rocks.

Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 9:21 am 
I was looking into finding an inflatable raft that wouldnt be too bulky or heavy. But I need to get all my camping gear first.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 10:06 am 
Fly is the way to go. Way more fun and getting in the casting practice when it's slow is part of the fun.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 11:34 am 
MtnGoat wrote:
Fly is the way to go. Way more fun and getting in the casting practice when it's slow is part of the fun.
I have though about getting back into fly fishing I have an old fly rod a friend gave me I just need to get line and a fly reel. it will happen eventually. I'm usually a bait guy but at same time I dont like using bait because half the time they swallow the hook. Its why I usually run barbless hooks easier to get out. Lately I've been getting good at getting them in the lip well more like upper mouth and out through the side of the eye. I prefer to release anything I dont gut hook

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 1:10 pm 
I bought my first fly rod at Cabellas as a kit, I think it was about 70 bucks, but it was of pretty good quality and contained 4 piece rod, reel, and line. I later upgraded to 6 piece rod from Cabellas that was about 100 bucks, excellent quality, comes with a hard and soft case, and fits into my pack easily which is important if you are brush bashing. I also bought a higher quality reel, although a fly reel is pretty much just a line holder and not that important imho. As for packrafts, there are quite a few threads here on the topic, so just do a search.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 2:38 pm 
Here's a great price on a pretty decent rod which breaks down and has great feel. I gave one as a gift, then liked it so much I picked one up for me.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 3:37 pm 
That is a good price. Might have to get that.

Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 4:03 pm 
I might just a small cheap intex raft for now. Hope it dont pop on me. I was looking at one for 10$ online at Walmart. Just have to deal with the extra weight I have had these before and are actually quite durable if treated right. Only broke ours using it as a water trampoline. Ours was a 3 person this is a 1 person

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 5:41 pm 
I would save your money and buy a better quality raft one that is more durable and safer. I am not a fan of this raft https://klymit.com/products/litewater-dinghy?variant=31722990207066 but others really like it and it's a decent price. This is probably the best design and lightest weigh you will find at this time, but they are pricey. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-flyweight-designs-flytepacker-ul-packraft/ https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7989771 There is also a chance you can find a good used one for a decent price, either from a member here or elsewhere. I bought a used Curtis raft from someone here for $135 that needed some repair, the Curtis is very similar in design as the one shown above in the second link.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 6:40 pm 
The flyweight designs page no longer exists and I havnt been able to find it anywhere using google so maybe they went out of bussiness

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 8:03 pm 
I posted the incorrect link above, it was suppose to link to the Flyweight designs raft. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/fs-flyweight-designs-flytepacker-ul-packraft/ There is also the Alpacka raft, really pricey, but some models are durable enough to run rapids. https://www.google.com/search?q=alpacka+raft&rlz=1CAEXLB_enUS834&oq=alpacka+raft&aqs=chrome..69i57.4523j0j4&sourceid

Fishing

Fishing
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 8:37 pm 
Maybe later when I have more money to spend for now on gonna be the intex expedition 100 I already planned on it for the lakes around here. So I'll test it out and see If it would even be packable or not. My last one was really bulky but it was a seahawk not an expedition and Seahawks were bigger. The expedition has been on my mind for awhile just for around here and for 15$ after shipping not a bad price. I would only takenit.on a hike after testing it out here doing a good hike around the lake here. See if it will fit in a backpack with enough room for a tent, Stove and extra clothing and not weigh me down too much Ive had pretty good luck with cheap rafts. Just have to always have a good bike tire patch kit they are usually better than the patches that come with them. My friend has the explorer 300 and has had it for almost 2 years now only has one hole in it from a hook. And one in the bottom from dragging it up on the shore I told him not to drag it but he didn't wanna listen. I gotta stay cheap. I plan on upgrading everything later on when i start working again.

Sir Homey

Sir Homey
PostFri Feb 21, 2020 4:43 pm 
Consider an inexpensive float tube. I find controlling my course and direction I'm facing while having hands free to fish is a nice thing.