Forum Index > Trail Talk > Trail access with PHEV vehicle
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cody s

Cody s
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 7:21 am 
I am considering buying an outlander PHEV and curious if any one owns one and the roads you've driven on, dirt roads and highways, and the pros and cons. I do understand it won't be the same as my 6 cylinder jeep as it has a 4 cylinder 1.4 liter engine. I DO NOT WANT to discuss climate change or politics just the vehicle and where it can go.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 10:34 am 
FWIW: I've carpooled to a number of trailheads in a friend's Chevy Bolt. It is an all electric vehicle with a claimed range of 259 miles. IDK what the actual range might be but it had plenty of charge left in the battery back at the park and ride after visiting common trailheads a bit past Steven's and Snoqualmie passes. It's cool watching the charge level rise using regenerative braking descending from the passes.

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 4:04 pm 
I've driven a Prius to hundreds of trailheads. You'll be ok.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 4:26 pm 
OMG! We finally know who 'that guy' is!

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 4:34 pm 
Now that I drive a 1994 Saturn that sits about as high off the ground as a skateboard I do miss my old Subaru Legacy wagon. There are trailheads I can’t even think about now, like Summit Lake, or Winchester lookout. The Subaru’s clearance wasn’t that great, but was at least a little above average for a car. Looking at the Outlander, it seems “average or slightly above”, so that’s good. Regular Outlander: 8.5 inches GC Outlander PHEV: 7.3 in. Most Subarus: 8.7 inches. I think you will be good to go at almost any trailhead that is generally accessible to the masses. I think you meant “2.4 liter” engine.

Cody s

Cody s
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 5:05 pm 
Yes they have upgraded to a 2.4 liter

uww

uww
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 5:11 pm 
I also make it anywhere I want to go in my Prius, summer or winter. I've only used my tow strap once- to rescue someone else. Ground clearance is the major factor, as well as your driving skill and tolerance for bumps. Power is not going to matter unless you go on a 4x4 only trail, which you should not. Any old fire road will not have enough of a grade to matter. Prius has 5.5 in of ground clearance for those keeping score. At 7.3 inches you will go anywhere a Subaru can.

Stefan

Stefan
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 6:24 pm 
I have taken 2000 Toyota Sienna minivan where many a folk would not dare. The specs say 5.3 inches of ground clearance. Its more than that--probably 7 inches in the middle. Probably 5.3inches right next to the wheel with the springs. After that...its the bike. All wheel drive/4 wheel drive is not necessary in my opinion. They are nice. Just not necessary to get to trailheads. High clearance is. You can get away with less high clearance and a smaller wheel base. But you can get to 80% of all trailheads in my opinion in Washington State with any normal vehicle.

Art is an adventure.