Forum Index > Gear Talk > What do you wish your hiking/camping equipment had? - Purdue Research
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Tericks17
Purdue Research

Tericks17
Purdue Research
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 7:55 am 
What do you wish your hiking equipment could do better? My name is Thomas Ericks and my team and I from Purdue University and are researching problems with current hiking or camping equipment. We would love to hear about what you wish you had while hiking or of shortcomings of some of your current hiking equipment. We are currently in the process of researching and designing improved hiking equipment and are looking for your input. If you have a seconds to respond, we would greatly appreciate it! Thanks for your time, and everything helps. Thanks again, Thomas Ericks P.S. Here's an anonymous survey that takes ~3 minutes to complete that would really help us out if you have time: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLScVSuAz4A3wyxeqwy7pvqo3JeACZ55TPgnS2rycOY2p05ik6A/viewform

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 12:41 pm 
A Sherpa. Lacking that, a pack mule. I suppose a horse might do. Or even a llama. Hell, I'd settle for a goat if I didn't have to lug that damn pack up a trail again!

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 5:34 pm 
Teleportation capability! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 5:47 pm 
Adopt a wild horse or burro

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 6:27 pm 
I wish hoods would be removable. I don't use them often while hiking because they're noisy if it's raining or sleeting; even if not, I like to hear what's going on around me, so I usually use a ballcap. If it's raining or snowing, the hood fills up so that it's unusable - when I do want to put it on my head (when it's windy and I'm on a break or at camp). Seems silly, but I have often been disgruntled. I hope to think of something else to help out. My gear is just basic stuff, compared to folks who may be able to give better input

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 10:48 am 
I'd like a backcountry iso-propane Latte Machine that weighs 3 ounces. Also a 16-50mm F1.8 weather resistant pancake sized lens.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 3:12 pm 
The biggest problem with outdoor gear is the looming demise of Specialty Outdoor stores. Sorry folks, you will be limited to a "monoculture" in outdoor gear where only the cheapest, most inexpensively manufactured gear, with the largest margins, will be sold on Amazon. Want to try something on, or get some personalized advice from an expert? Forget it...your local store has already closed because you (the figurative you) failed to support them. Don't take the personally unless you're one of the turds who used your local store as an Amazon try-on spot.

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
blendergasket

blendergasket
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 6:43 pm 
I'd love to see a lightweight backpack suspension system that allows many different packs of various sizes and uses to attach to it. Similar to seekoutside systems but lighter and with smaller pack options so a daypack and multi night pack can share the same supportive frame, preferably with running style harness Light weight waterproof hiking hightops/boots that are actually durable enough not to fall apart after 3 months.

"He who would understand the Book of Nature must walk its pages with his feet" ~Paracelsus
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 8:15 pm 
Hoods are no good, they block hearing, peripheral vision and do not protect glasses from rain. Plus when you turn your head the hood doesn’t turn. Hats with brims are better, but they come off in the wind and do not protect the neck from wind and cold. Plus when you take off the hat you now are carrying a hat. So, I want a jacket with an attached hat instead of a hood. When the hat is not being worn, it hangs on the back/shoulders just as a hood would. When worn, the material connecting the hat to the jacket would protect the ears and neck. The material should only extend forward enough to just cover the ears so that it could be tucked behind the ears if desired. The hat should be removable so it can be worn without the jacket. The connecting material should be stretchy when twisted by the wearer turning their head. The material would be protected from a lot of the rain by the brim of the hat so it could be water resistant and more breathable than hood material. Dog owners would buy them up, they walk in the rain and wind all the time. Also when wearing a raincoat to a restaurant there is often no good place to put a hat. Attached to the jacket hanging on the back of the chair is a better option.

Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 8:33 pm 
I wish my gortex or similar, was more breathable while keeping out the rain. Aside from having to carry weight in general.... it would be nice to have rain gear that kept me dry, which included boots. (I know it’s not possible), So I use an umbrella. I actually find hoods useful, mostly for cold, for keeping my neck, head warmer when I stop.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Bernardo

Bernardo
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 8:36 pm 
I would like carbon poles that fold down to fit in a pack. I don't think these are on the market right now. In his Podcast last week, "Darwin on the Trail" mentions it is hard to find an ultralight tent for folks over 6 foot tall. Lighter air mattresses with high R values are a big area for improvement. My exped hyperlyte seems out of proportion heavy compared to my other lightweight gear, but I need something like it to sleep well. Better batteries, ie lighter, would probably be number one item for many long distance hikers. I don't carry a chair, but I think these are gaining in popularity as they have become lighter. Lighter still would be good. Cheaper equivalent to Ursacks. Prices of those things are ridiculous for a bag. Prices generally are high for good equipment so maitaining quality at lower price points could make a big difference for many hikers. For me it also should be made in the USA!

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 10:02 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
actually find hoods useful, mostly for cold, for keeping my neck, head warmer when I stop.
O sure, they are useful. That's why I wish they were detachable, so that when I am not using it, I can stash it so that it's not filling up with rain and snow, thereby rendering it useless.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 10:33 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
I actually find hoods useful, mostly for cold, for keeping my neck, head warmer when I stop.
I agree, a hood, a buff, and a beanie. I like to keep neck & balding head heading warm.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
WaState

WaState
PostWed Feb 05, 2020 9:33 pm 
A 2 man bothy bag that can be used as a one man bivy sack under a tarp. Use it at camp as a bivvy sack then have as bothy bag away from camp. Breathable material 12oz max. In bivvy sack mode just need extra protection for under tarp, ie a way to wrap around the body.

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostWed Feb 05, 2020 10:41 pm 
A cute, younger female hiking partner with a good sense of humor and excellent endurance.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.