Forum Index > Trail Talk > Alpine Lakes being loved to death
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic

Would banning dogs on the trails in the ALW north of I-90 change your hiking habits?
If I can't take my dog, I would go hike somewhere that I could take him/her
45%
 45%  [ 9 ]
I would leave fido or fluffy at home and go hike there anyway
55%
 55%  [ 11 ]
Total Votes : 20

Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 4:00 pm 
nickmtn wrote:
I would like to see the Old Mailbox Trail moved to Seatac.
You have some really interesting ideas here. You've probably heard the story about "moving mountains", so how about moving the Seatac parking garage to the Olde Mailbox trailheadde? Then make everyone use the Light Link Rail for the airport kinda like they make people use a bus at Zion. I wish we could move Yosemite closer to here so people wouldn't be so obsessed with the Enchantments.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 5:26 pm 
A name change back to Rat Lakes might help. Some other fun monikers, like Goat Pee Plateau or Rat Crap Tarn. Thigh Burner Pass.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 6:47 pm 
cascadeclimber wrote:
"... less these days, as the cumulative frustration has built up, and not none. Getting bitten, chased, stepping in and smelling poop, and by physically threatened by lunatic dog people over and over and over and over and over will do that..."
Well... like RandyHiker said here somewhere - not sure if it was in this thread: People who think that they are going to find "solitude" less than an hour and a half out of Seattle are a bit less connected to reality than they ought to be. My understanding is that the dog population within the city limits of Seattle exceeds the human population. I may well have been misinformed in that regard. Some dogs do okay on leashes. Some dogs don't do okay on leashes. My own personal observations have led me to conclude that more people have their dogs under control than those whose dogs are out of control. Your experiences may well be different. Either way - again, as Randy suggested, driving up I-90 an hour or so out of Seattle and expecting to not find hordes of people and lots of dogs is simply wishful thinking. I recall a time when I could drive from Tillicum to the Seneca Street off-ramp on I-5 in 29 minutes. Things change. There are more people here now. The earth has not yet stopped rotating on its axis as a result, nor is there any great lack of fabulous hiking opportunities all around the state in places which are not crowded and where few dogs can be found. There is a lot more to Washington State than the Alpine Lakes and Mt. Rainier National Park.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 6:59 pm 
If you do not want scenery, great fishing, and main trails solitude is easy to find. Head south of I 90 on the PCT outside August and you will be pretty alone. 100 yds off trail and absolutely alone. Head up hill in the north Cascades away from climbing routes and you will have solitude, dangerously so. In the Sierra there are hundreds of off trail lake basins filled with fish that get single digits of visitors per year. If you want great scenery a trailhead 2 miles off I 90, and no people you are out of luck. Unless you are willing to risk arrest.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork
Food truck
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 8:20 pm 
There are a lot of areas within an hour and half (or less) where one can find and expect solitude or at least relatively. In fact a lot of places. It doesn’t take much.

When I grow up I wanna play.
Atomc

Atomc
PostThu Jan 30, 2020 12:52 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
There are a lot of areas within an hour and half (or less) where one can find and expect solitude or at least relatively.
During hiking season I usually do a Wednesday evening hike after work with friends, or whoever wants to go, and by doing it midweek in the evening I can usually get places like Lake 22 or Dickerman to myself. Places like pinnacle or cutthroats, north/independance lakes, are pretty much guaranteed to be empty on a weekday evening. Luckily the mountain loop hasn't been too overrun.... yet.