Forum Index > The Trading Post > WTB. Size 12 hiking boots
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Fishing

Fishing
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 2:58 pm 
So I was told to look into good boots trying to find some for a decent price. I was.told to look for boots with a metal shank. Are good boots really necessary or would a pair of 60$ hiking boots with a good bottom work? I've been looking at sportsmans warehouse just because that is the best outdoors store near me.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 3:11 pm 
I bought some Hi-Tech hiking boots and they were pretty decent quality for around 60-70 bucks....but they won't last nearly as long or hold their support nearly as long as higher quality boots. I bought some Asolo 520's about 4 years ago and they are still going strong with excellent support and traction. Plus they can be resoled. They are $330 at REI, I bought a pair online for $220. It is a bit of a gamble buying boots online, but It worked out for me this time. https://www.rei.com/product/896262/asolo-tps-520-gv-evo-hiking-boots-mens I would buy something like the Hi-techs and upgrade later when you can afford it. As for easier and dry trails, I would get a pair of Asics running shoes with a rock plate in the sole.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 3:26 pm 
check craigslist. check EBAY (of all places) check offerup.com you'd be surprised.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 4:19 pm 
I would add thrift stores as well, you might go a 12 times and find nada, but the 13th time strike gold.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 4:55 pm 
Steel Shank, full grain leather, resoleable -- Made in Italy. https://www.sierra.com/alico-made-in-italy-tahoe-hiking-boots-leather-for-men~p~63669/

Fishing

Fishing
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 5:05 pm 
I'm trying to stick with local stores just because finding a boot that actually fits right is difficult domt want to buy online unless I have to. I'll check goodwill tomorrow. They never have outdoor stuff at the one here and it's always cheap crappy shoes here. Theres one other place I can check. last resort I'm just gonna get the most solid feeling boots I can find at sportsmans warehouse. If I can't find anything there I probably will end up just going online. Online is just kinda difficult because I don't quite know what I'm looking for. I'm getting tips from another guy on here and it's been helpful. But still kinda clueless I didn't even know about the shank part. Till he told me I was just looking at waterproof hiking boots at sportsmans just looking for something that looks like it would get good traction.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 5:43 pm 
FWIW: https://www.sierra.com/lp2/policies/#returnpolicy And Sierra has stores in Silverdale and Bellingham So you can order online, have them shipped to your house (free shipping for orders above $89) and then either ship back for $6.95 or return to the one of the stores. For boots it isn't uncommon to order multiple sizes (e.g. 11.5, 12 and 12.5), keep the one that fits and return the rest (or return all if none fit) Doing this all from home probably costs less than driving to multiple stores. OTH if you just want a pair of somewhat sturdy boots for not to much money and don't care if they only last a couple of years -- Big 5 Sports is a pretty simple choice.

forest gnome
Forest nut...

forest gnome
Forest nut...
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 8:33 am 
wow that's a good deal and if you order a pair and don't scuff em up the return policy is great?? then u can order another half size up...