Forum Index > Pacific NW History > Seattle National Archives repository to close
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 1:53 pm 
This is terrible news for anyone doing research into the history of the northwest region. Moving the archives to Missouri or Los Angeles effectively makes them inaccessible to most of the people interested in them. At some point in the future they may be digitized and accessible remotely, but as of now, the article states that only ".001 percent" of the records have been digitized. ‘Terrible and disgusting’: Decision to close National Archives at Seattle a blow to tribes, historians in 4 states Personally, I'm glad I was able to retrieve most of what I needed a few years ago in a series of visits, but if they are open a little longer I may make an effort to finish my todo list there.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Mike Collins

Mike Collins
PostSun Jan 26, 2020 8:43 pm 
I will miss the archives. The link will take you to an informative outing there in exploring the history of the Northwest. https://www.nwhikers.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=1481

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 9:41 pm 
Closing military bases made no sense either except there is no war and a military cost money(currently 23 t debt) so closing other buildings and selling them to save expenses so that the lawn at the white house stays green and neatly trimmed!!

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Jan 31, 2020 11:50 pm 
A reader who posted to the S-T article snarked about the prior closing of an archive in Alaska. So there has already been some past consolidation. Maintaining regional archives makes complete sense, this move doesn't. It might as well be torched, for the amt of inaccessibility this will create for those who want access the most. Write to your reps/senators about it.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks

puzzlr
Mid Fork Rocks
PostSat Feb 01, 2020 12:51 am 
I did write Senator Cantwell the same day I read the article, but the entire delegation had already objected to the move. Can't hurt though. A later article Washington state Attorney General Bob Ferguson looking into decision to close National Archives in Seattle indicates more push back might be coming. It also mentions time frames of several years before the archives is gone. So if it is moved, at least there's time to get in there before it does. I'm already reviewing what else I might want to see.

zephyr
aka friendly hiker

zephyr
aka friendly hiker
PostSat Feb 01, 2020 3:22 pm 
Mike Collins wrote:
The link will take you to an informative outing there in exploring the history of the Northwest.
Wow. This is a great story. Thanks for linking. ~z

FiveNines

FiveNines
PostThu Apr 08, 2021 2:42 pm 
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostFri Apr 09, 2021 10:31 am 
Great news, FiveNines! up.gif I used their archive once, many years ago. It's amazing what they have. Important point to note in the article you posted, AG Ferguson says:
Quote:
“... when you read that letter very carefully in which they essentially acknowledge defeat, nowhere in that letter does it say ‘we promise those records will stay in the Northwest. As great as this victory is today, it’s incumbent upon our congressional delegation to find the resources to get the facility in the shape it needs to be in or find a new facility that can house these records ...

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood