Forum Index > Gear Talk > How To Wash Your Down Jacket (dead bird)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostTue Jan 28, 2020 7:38 pm 
I've always thought it wasn't that hard. You put the jacket in the wash, alone, with down wash. Run it two more times with just water. Then out it in the dryer with tennis balls for about twice as long as you think you need to. (The shell fabric dries before the down.) This video showed up on my Chrome new page feed. Basically confirms the received wisdom. Kind of goofy too. But maybe it will benefit somebody in here.
You don't actually need to help your washer and dryer out in the woods. moon.gif

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 12:02 am 
I did this to my sleeping bag. It was dirty. Look, when you've been frequently sweating the whiskey out into that bag in a high, dusty cowboy camp high in the entiat it needs it!! I found you gotta just go all in on the risk when you drop it in! Then a lotta sitting 'round nervous while listening to that dry'er rumble. Whiskey time. Then it turns out perfect!!! Still reminiscing on my big win that day.

Schroder

Schroder
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 10:47 am 
It's pretty important to squeeze the excess water out before you stick it in the dryer

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 10:50 am 
FWIW: I would only use a front loader. My dad tried washing his '70s vintage REI down sleeping bag in his top loader in the '90s and many baffles were torn and the bag was ruined.

neek

neek
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 11:19 am 
problem with the sleeping bag last time was the DWR was too good; the bag just kind of floated in place like a balloon and stayed dry as the drum spun around it. have to manually soak first. agree re. front load only, why take the risk.

grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 11:25 am 
It's generally suggested that, before washing the down item, you run the washer (yes, always use a front-loader) empty with just water for a cycle to get rid of detergent residue (which won't do your down any good). I followed the directions on the Western Mountaineering website, and my sleeping bag came out loftier (and warmer) than when I originally bought it. I used my daughter-in-law's large capacity washer and dryer. If you don't have a front-loader, a bathtub can work for hand washing, or you can try the laundromat (but take a lengthy book; the process takes a long time).

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Jan 29, 2020 12:58 pm 
I've thrown down stuff in the dryer without washing it first to loft it up. Works well.
Schroder wrote:
It's pretty important to squeeze the excess water out before you stick it in the dryer
I didn't realize this. I've always just moved stuff from the washer to the dryer.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostThu Jan 30, 2020 7:44 am 
Grannyhiker wrote:
It's generally suggested that, before washing the down item, you run the washer (yes, always use a front-loader) empty with just water for a cycle to get rid of detergent residue (which won't do your down any good).
This seems like a good idea, maybe even run a "washer cleaner" through first? Aside from this, what are the thoughts/opinions on using a "high efficiency" (non agitator) style top loader for down filled items? I ask as we had a Whirlpool HE top loader (and I really despised it - continuous reliability problems with it from the beginning, after factory warranty period ended) so sold it cheap and went shopping. Was going to get an old style washer, but all the reading I did, and salesman agreed that agitator types are rougher on clothing, so we bought another HE washer. And so far this one (LG) is fine.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
WaState

WaState
PostThu Jan 30, 2020 11:15 am 
The agitator in the middle of a old style top loading washer turns in a yanking motion. This yanking is hard on all clothing. The amount of lint produced by a top leader yanker machine is much greater than a machine without the agitator. One may be able to get away with using a old style top loaderc if can turn off the yanking feature on a gental cycle. I have a new style top loader washer without a agitator and washed my down gear with it fine. I like running a rinse cycle a couple of times before I wash my tech gear with the right soap. It is a constant battle to guard the tech gear from the spouse via wrong soap washing, or dryer drying when I dont want it.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 9:57 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
It's generally suggested that, before washing the down item, you run the washer (yes, always use a front-loader) empty with just water for a cycle to get rid of detergent residue (which won't do your down any good).
Thanks for this. I'm washing a base layer and lightly insulated synthetic jacket right now. I followed your good advice before putting them in the wash because I like them and want them to last. I'm sure it's much less important without down, but, still, it's ok to go a little overboard with a favorite.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 11:00 pm 
What's "DWR"? (mentioned in the video). Some kind of waterproofing treatment?

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 11:16 pm 
DRW = Durable Water Resistance the stuff that makes water bead up on the outside of a garment. It eventually wears off and the surface gets wet cutting breathability.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 11:17 pm 
Durable Water Repellency (* this is how I used the Nikwax DWR on a used garment *)

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostSun Feb 02, 2020 11:42 pm 
Thanks, Ski. I haven't any down gear at the moment, and haven't used spray-on water repellant on anything since my last pair of suede shoes. I might want to see the MSDS sheets on that stuff though - I seem to recall waterproofing (or was it fire-proofing?) spray for clothing and household goods was discovered to be a nasty, persistent environmental pollutant.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood