Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > hunter decline
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Gregory

Gregory
PostWed Jan 01, 2020 8:38 am 
Watched a youtube video the other day with the Born and raised outdoor crew road hunting WY. Trent was down prone finding a bull on the other side of the valley in when a truck pulled up and shot the bull right out from under him. Crazy. Here is the Iowa rifle opener.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Gregory

Gregory
PostFri Jan 03, 2020 8:52 am 
Some of you may find this decade in review interesting. http://nwsportsmanmag.com/editors-blog/

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 11:26 am 
Dave could answer this question/proposition better than I can. My brother used to live in Kentucky. There are roughly two million deer in Kentucky. A hunter is allowed two antlered deer per year and a doe a day during the season. In nearly every Midwestern/Eastern state the deer population continues to grow. In Washington State the deer population is stagnant, or is declining yearly. Some of that is the result of winter die offs, but it seems to me "Other" factors are the true reason. The Elk population is along the same. Now Im not sure what those factors are, but when comparing the wildlife agencies one this is clear to me. Washington State wants NOTHING to do with hunters and fishermen! Look at the hunter fisherman's guide book in other states. Maine for example. The guide book/rule book is like 40 pages. Washington States rules book is like a Steven King novel. I think like many things, Washington State terribly miss handles its wild like agencies. The son of a friend of mine graduated from WSU with a environmental degree specializing in Wilderness management. He wanted to be a wild life agent most of his life. As soon as he got more involved and spent some time volunteering and riding along with game wardens he lost all desire to have anything to do with it. Nothing in this state seems to be run very well.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 1:56 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Nothing in this state seems to be run very well.
Our Politicians seem to run their mouths pretty well. dizzy.gif

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 2:26 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Nothing in this state seems to be run very well.
I'll second that!

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
Riverside Laker

Riverside Laker
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 5:25 pm 
I wonder if the decline in hunting is similar to a decline in golfing, tennis, motorcycling. A generational change in what people like to do. Hiking sure has gotten popular. Has there been a decline in fishing also?

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 6:36 pm 

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 6:55 pm 
I used to hunt and fish but I was a subsistence hunter/fisher always ate what I killed. Back in the day there was lots of salmon in the sound and near shore ocean. Now not so much. Lynda is a pescatarian so even a deer is too much. I think wild food is more healthy than farmed. Never could get into catch and release. Took the kids out fishing a few times but they were indifferent. Now I only fish on thru hikes. I do not begrudge those who hunt and fish. I think I am not the only one. You can say OK boomer.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 8:14 pm 
A colleage of mine would elk hunt in the fall and fill up a large chest freezer. He grew up in Idaho and learned from his dad. That seems like a good way to do it.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 9:26 pm 
We used to have a meat locker rental and filled it in the fall. Also used to go to Idaho and fill chests with Konkani when the limit was 32 per day and the whole family limited every day.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 10:02 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
We used to have a meat locker rental and filled it in the fall. Also used to go to Idaho and fill chests with Konkani when the limit was 32 per day and the whole family limited every day.
I assume you meant Kokanee? Konkani (Kōṅkaṇī) is an Indo-Aryan language spoken by Konkani people (Maharashtra & Goa) along the western coast of India. It is one of the 22 scheduled languages mentioned in the 8th schedule of the Indian Constitution and the official language of the Indian state of Goa. Kokanee Salmon (landlocked) are fun to catch and good eating. Lake Stevens is a good place to catch them. I really need to get back into fishing.

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 10:06 pm 
Dam auto correct doh.gif

Chief Joseph

Chief Joseph
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 10:26 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Dam auto correct doh.gif
Lol..but I learned a new word and the meaning thereof. O' and by the way, where in Idaho did you catch all of these Konkani's?

Go placidly amid the noise and waste, and remember what comfort there may be in owning a piece thereof.
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 03, 2020 10:55 pm 
Lake Pend Oreille trolling with cherry bobbers. I was very young 6 or so but I still limited, sometimes three fish would be following your lure. Four of us in a kicker boat. Got dry ice at store and brought them home. My mom depression girl was ecstatic, free food!

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostWed Feb 05, 2020 8:52 pm 
Ive got Elk and Deer in my chest freezer.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln