Forum Index > Trail Talk > Mountain Gear going out of Business
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Schroder

Schroder
PostSat Jan 18, 2020 9:07 pm 
Quote:
Dear Friends, When I opened Mountain Gear in 1983, I had a driving mission: to help people get outdoors in pursuit of adventure. Now, after 37 years, it’s time to pack up. Mountain Gear will be closing. Our home-grown business owes an enormous thank you to our friends throughout the U.S. and world, brought together first by the encyclopedic Mountain Gear catalog, and more recently by our online store. Whether you’re a third-generation customer or a Mountain Gear newbie, we’re grateful for your support. Like our employees, our customers share a passion for the outdoors, for exploration and adventure. It’s been our privilege to help fuel your passion. Now, as we prepare for closure, it’s time to offer you some great deals on gear. Our “Thank You” sale starts now on the website. Everything is 20%-50% off on the site mountaingear.com For those living in or near our home base of Spokane, Washington, There is a huge selection on sale at the store. In related news, I’ll no longer be presenting the Red Rocks Rendezvous, the outdoor climbing festival that has given a taste of climbing culture and skills to more than 10,000 people. This event has been a labor of love. We kept prices low so more people could participate, with costs subsidized by Mountain Gear and other sponsors. I’d love to help someone else who has an interest in taking it over. If that might be you or you have a fun Mountain Gear pic or story you’d like to share with me, send an email to paul@mountaingear.com In the meantime, keep getting out there. Hopefully I’ll run into you on a climb, ski or hike. Kindest Regards, Paul Fish President, Mountain Gear

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 9:01 am 
A sad trend. Good Mountain shops are hard to find these days. Now where will all those Amazon shoppers go to try on ski boots, clothing, and check out equipment first hand...? (sarcasm intended)

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
RichP

RichP
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:39 am 
Schenk wrote:
Now where will all those Amazon shoppers go to try on ski boots, clothing, and check out equipment first hand...? (sarcasm intended)
Retailers can smell this from a mile away but it is the nature of the business now. I suspect FedEx et al will benefit from all the returns and reorders.

Schroder

Schroder
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:49 am 
Mountain Gear did a good online business too. I ordered from them many times, particularly during their sales. I managed to drop by their store once while heading to Northern Idaho.

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon

moonspots
Happy Curmudgeon
PostMon Jan 20, 2020 11:59 am 
Schenk wrote:
A sad trend. Good Mountain shops are hard to find these days. Now where will all those Amazon shoppers go to try on ski boots, clothing, and check out equipment first hand...? (sarcasm intended)
Yes, and this is why if I "try on" at a real store, I buy at the real store. I resort to Amazon only if I can't get it locally. And I've yet to find Amazon to be substantially cheaper (often the opposite) than I can get at a real store's online site. My favorite being Backcountrygear.com in Eugene. Good stuff, good service, good prices, great customer service, and their physical store is SO well supplied! up.gif up.gif up.gif from me.

"Out, OUT you demons of Stupidity"! - St Dogbert, patron Saint of Technology
BigBrunyon

BigBrunyon
PostTue Jan 21, 2020 12:40 am 
Gotta be payin' full price to keep these type outfitters open.

Yolo

Yolo
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 1:10 am 
check at https://www.rei.com/map/store, stuff on sales is really worth it

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostTue Feb 04, 2020 8:14 am 
"i can't believe anyone buys at those price points. " you want a cadillac you pay for a cadillac!!!