Forum Index > Gear Talk > What do you wish your hiking/camping equipment had? - Purdue Research
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bowregard

Bowregard
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 9:32 am 
Snowshoe adapters: Lightweight snowshoes with a "quick-release" Microspikes attachment. I want to stop carrying spikes AND snowshoes. I would develop these myself if I had the time.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Alpine Pedestrian

Alpine Pedestrian
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 9:43 am 
The OP also posted this question on backpackinglight.com. My favorite suggestion from there is the Star Wars grav-sled. https://backpackinglight.com/forums/topic/what-do-you-wish-your-hiking-camping-equipment-had/#comments

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 10:12 am 
well.... why not just a Star-Trek transporter to take us to our destination? No hiking required! up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 10:57 am 
I want to humiliate my surroundings...

schifferj

schifferj
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 4:55 pm 
I bought my first piece of vortex "breathable/waterproof" gear in 1978. It was a Frank Shorter running suit. It worked absolutely great right up to the point where I went for a run in the rain. It was as wet on the inside as it was on the outside. Tents work in a similar fashion - i.e they work well until you need them and then they fill up with condensation/frost. I have noticed a considerable improvement in rain gear with the advent of outcry technology - I believe it was first introduced by Columbia. The "shake dry" gortex fabric available from Gore, Northface, Arcteryx, Castelli come as close to perfect as I've experienced. Still looking for an improvement in tents

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 5:03 pm 
Time Machine
Time Machine

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 10:38 pm 
Chief Joseph wrote:
A cute, younger female hiking partner with a good sense of humor and excellent endurance.
To carry you up and down the hills? 😉

Schenk
Off Leash Man

Location: Traveling, with the bear, to the other side of the Mountain
Schenk
Off Leash Man
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 9:35 am 
Bernardo wrote:
I would like carbon poles that fold down to fit in a pack.
Maybe take a look at these: https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_US/trekking-poles/distance-carbon-z-trekking-poles-BD112205_cfg.html#start=4

Nature exists with a stark indifference to humans' situation.
neek

neek
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 10:00 am 
Hmm, I want a 2-way emergency communication device that doesn't require a subscription. Also an eInk cell phone (charge lasts forever and can be seen in direct sun) with a mapping app that functions well on that type of display. Doesn't need to have a camera, that's what cameras are for. Also electric gloves with elements in the fingers not just the palms. Finally, some sort of dye that you can run through your filter to see if it's actually working.

Downhill

Downhill
PostWed Feb 19, 2020 11:43 pm 
Brushwork wrote:
I wish my gortex or similar, was more breathable while keeping out the rain.
A good friend and outdoor partner, with many firsts ascents and a couple of books to his credit, once worked at a climbing/skiing/hiking retailer in the area. The manufacture Rep for Gortex was in the shop one day giving a demo to the shop staff on their latest next-gen fabric. The rep used a camp stove and a pot of boiling water to demonstrate how the water vapor passed up and through the material. My friend pipes up to say - "yeah but every time I go out and climb in this stuff I get soaked inside the shell! It's no better than nylon with Scotchgard!" The Gortex rep didn't even break stride, he was well-prepared for this objection and replied "well yes, inside the garment you might detect a level of perceived moisture", to which the less experienced members of the staff nodded approvingly. dizzy.gif From that day forward, whenever any of our friend group was up in the nasty wet Cascades, getting drenched to the bone, ringing out a t-shirt or pair of socks - we would always describe our gear to be exhibiting a "perceived level of moisture". One of the greatest bits of marketing nonsense ever sold and accepted as fact, Gortex = waterproof/breathable -- it's quite clearly neither!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 10:58 am 
I would like a levitating pack that I would control with a magic wand. Then I'd wish for world peace.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostThu Feb 20, 2020 11:21 am 
Downhill wrote:
One of the greatest bits of marketing nonsense ever sold and accepted as fact, Gortex = waterproof/breathable -- it's quite clearly neither!
While your anecdote was amusing, this final conclusion is demonstrably untrue. I'm old enough to have had to hike frequently in non-breathable rain gear and there is a huge difference. If it is raining hard and the brush is wet you are going to get soaked whether your rain gear is breathable or not. Once it wets out it Goretex does not breath. That much is true. Where Goretex really makes a difference is when it is not raining. With non-breathable raingear we used to get wet from condensation if we tried to use it as a wind or warmth layer. Even the first generation of Goretex made rain gear much more comfortable and useful as a layer that could be used comfortably in a far wider range of conditions.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch