Previous :: Next Topic
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 1:59 pm 
Stefan wrote:
RandyHiker wrote:
I had a conversation with Bill Prater on the summit of Mt Daniel a number of years ago (chance encounter) he lamented the crowding, the permit system and the red tape involved with the Enchantments. He suggested visiting the Beartooth range in Montana instead which is "Like 100 Enchantments, with 1/100th the people, too bad it is such a long drive" Dang -- I haven't gotten around to that yet -- maybe this summer.
Don't let people know! smile.gif
The 14+ hour drive from Amazon Bro Central is a decent filter.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
slabbyd

slabbyd
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 2:35 pm 
Flew over the Beartooth Range at 35,000' last summer. Didn't know what I was looking at so quickly sorted out where we were based on the in-flight tracker and figured it out later. The Beartooth Range does in fact look Spectacular. The entire southern half is carved out of a large sheet of granite. I think it's also full of actual large bears which is a bit of a turn off.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 2:37 pm 
I've poked around the Beartooths several times. It is indeed a great area to visit. I've started from several different entry points. Lakes galore, more than you can count. While there is an extensive trail network, I think to really get the full experience you have to go off trail.

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 4:50 pm 
MtnGoat wrote:
Pahoehoe wrote:
That's about as elitist as anything I've ever heard... Also probably equally or more dangerous to go down Aasgard than up it.
I agree I also question the logic of not allowing swapping leaders. They operate on a headcount basis, as long as the headcount does not change there shouldn't be any difference.
It makes it way harder to get it on someone elses permit or for someone else to use a permit someone else won. Basically, a person has to add the alternate leader at lottery time and they cannot apply for their own permit. Then, rather than having a limit per permit, you have to decide when you apply. Just adding extras could be a disadvantage because your number could get pulled and then there are only 3 slots and you asked for 4.... What I think needs to happen is that if a person applies and doesnt get in then if they apply the following year they should get two chances instead of 1. They should continue to gain 1 chance a year until they either get a permit or dont enter for a year.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 5:47 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
It makes it way harder to get it on someone elses permit or for someone else to use a permit someone else won.
Yeah, I think these measures are intended as barriers against people reselling permits. E.g. There are some highly popular campsites just north of the Golden Gate Bridge and tech nerds from Silicon Valley developed "bots" to scoop up permits from recreaton.gov faster than a human could. They would then resell those permits.

MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 5:56 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
It makes it way harder to get it on someone elses permit or for someone else to use a permit someone else won.
I get that, but since the headcount remains the same I still don't understand the reasoning. Permit gets randomly selected for X people, X number of people go, headcount limit still applies.

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Feb 07, 2020 7:41 pm 
It use to be you got a permit and up to eight people could go. Now you have to say how many people are going on your permit when you enter the lottery rather than when you finalize your permit. I read that like they are only allowing X number of people where before they allowed X number of groups of up to 8. That made it possible for many to get in on someone's permit, but that's harder now.

nickmtn

nickmtn
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 12:50 am 
At this point the Enchantments are a total joke. Anyone who's gonna jump through that many hoops to see some rocks and water needs a better hobby.

Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 7:19 am 
nickmtn wrote:
At this point the Enchantments are a total joke. Anyone who's gonna jump through that many hoops to see some rocks and water needs a better hobby.
Best comment on this thread so far. Quit calling it a "lottery"! It's now become a game. A contest. And when you win, it's bragging rights. Honestly, I bet some people cry when they find out they won the "lottery". Not only that ( whisper voice ) there's the Platinum ticket....the "core zone" lottery winners. IN YOUR FACE LOSERS!!!! The Enchantments have become a "rite of passage" ( along with... "Post Office?", PO Box? Peak. Something like that. I can't remember exactly ) in the hiking community. A through hike makes you bonafide. Do it more than once, it makes you a hiking god Then these individuals all go and get a similar looking tattoo. You know the one... doof.gif

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
MtnGoat

MtnGoat
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 am 
yeah, the one which shows how individual they are and what group they are in, all at once. wink.gif

Diplomacy is the art of saying 'Nice doggie' until you can find a rock. - Will Rogers
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 12:51 pm 
Bootpathguy wrote:
Then these individuals all go and get a similar looking tattoo.
Next step inking your 'Chants permit.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 5:20 pm 
People want to see the Enchantments because it's a beautiful place. And because people like seeing wildlife. But mostly because of the meadows, creeks, and lakes, surrounded by big peaks. People like hiking in nice places.

RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 6:25 pm 
I got the answer to all your regulations angst, tattoo envy, lottery winner jealousy, and probably your nosy neighbor ... wait for it ... Trail Angels! Yer welcome. Rumi~the angelic~Dude

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 8:04 pm 
Ive been in there 8 times. I dont really need to go back, but Ive wanted to take my nephew in there.

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 11:40 pm 
Nwhikers are too elite for the Enchantments.