Forum Index > Trail Talk > Skinning up snoqualmie before the lifts start...
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 8:27 pm 
Just got a pair of approach skis and was looking to get some turns in early mornings around 5-8am on weekdays. I was curious if there’s any website or bulletin from summit on if they are doing avalanche control or any hazards that I should be aware of traveling in bounds prior to opening to the public?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Waterman

Waterman
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 8:38 pm 
If your inbounds climbing up, stay off to the sides and watch out for the descending snow groomers. Those eastside boys will be going fast heading for the barn.

Two roads diverged in a wood, and I,I took the one less traveled by. And that has made all the difference. Robert Frost
joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 10:44 pm 
If I understand correctly Alpental policy is no uphill travel when the area isn't open. Due to need to do avalanche patrol.

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 10:50 pm 
I stay out of alpental. I ride a bindingless snowboard so finding powder laps is what I’m after when going early during the week. hyak is primarily where I’ll be at.I’m sure it’s fine the next day or two with the clear conditions but when it’s nuking, do they fire up hyak like alpental? flammable.gif Just don’t want to be skinning up there if they are bombing slabs when the snow accumulates again.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 1:25 am 
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 10:33 am 
We always skinned up Hyak when they are not operating and have had no problems. It is quite popular with AT skiers for practice and a few quick laps. They seldom blast there. We once went up Alpy when they were closed after a heavy drop and they started dropping charges, Nie Wieder! eek.gif

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 11:17 am 
Everyone does that at hyak. No one will bug you and you will not be alone. Thats half of seattles go to spot for practice laps. The powder doesnt stay untouched long there. Just dont put in 18 switchbacks on such mellow terrain like some of those weenies smile.gif

cascadetraverser

cascadetraverser
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 1:48 pm 
I ski Alpental alot; see quite a few people mid week in particular skinning up the slopes. Never seen ski patrol bother em. Rules aside, I think you will be fine.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 3:17 pm 
cascadetraverser wrote:
I ski Alpental alot; see quite a few people mid week in particular skinning up the slopes. Never seen ski patrol bother em. Rules aside, I think you will be fine.
If you are seeing them while riding on the lift -- that is exactly the expectation that the Alpental Ski Patrol has set. Because the Alpental Ski Patrol uses explosives, ski cuts and other techniques to intentionally trigger avalanches it is in your own enlightened self interest to follow their guidelines and limit yourself to skinning up within the Alpental Permit Boundary only during hours of operation. The ski patrols at Summit West, Central and East don't perform snow control -- so there is scant danger of getting clobbered by a ski patrol triggered avalanche -- so one may skin up 24/7.

Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 4:50 pm 
RandyHiker wrote:
The ski patrols at Summit West, Central and East don't perform snow control -- so there is scant danger of getting clobbered by a ski patrol triggered avalanche -- so one may skin up 24/7.
This was my primary concern but also to not put myself in an “oh **** moment I could have avoided by doing my due diligence.