Forum Index > Trail Talk > What The Hex!
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 8:46 pm 
43 cars parked on the shoulder and approach to Hex Mountain this morning Not such a quiet spot anymore New WH&C fad now?

Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Noheaperture
Nohea

Noheaperture
Nohea
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 10:41 pm 
Wh&c is a little rough. Checked out the page the other day and seemed like a lot of novice hikers, giving other novice hikers cloudy advice..

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 10:42 pm 
Yikes. Haven't done it in a few decades, roughly. I think we saw other folks up there one of the times...

Pyrites

Pyrites
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 1:32 am 
Last time I was there was a few days before the fire. We came in from the west. How is trail now?

Keep Calm and Carry On? Heck No. Stay Excited and Get Outside!
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 1:41 am 
Yeah, saw many cars parked there on my way to Salmon Le Sac. Mostly snowshoers, some skiers. Great day out there today. All the Central Cascades were very clear. https://photos.app.goo.gl/UGNU8NFrkDR8CgXg7

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 8:01 am 
Jeff wrote:
And how the hell do you get that many cars there? I thought it was a plowed pullout for maybe 10.
The pullout was packed and so was the base of the road before the gate. The snowpack is pretty shallow at that location, so it was thin enough for cars to pull in. There were quite a few cars parked in various other "subject to ticketing and towing" spots. However I suspect any towing done yesterday was concentrated around Hyak as all lots there were full by 9 and there has been a lot of effort by Hyak residents to get the county to enforce the no parking on roads rules on Hyak residential roads.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 10:22 am 
The forecast was for a perfect sunny day. People want to get out. Hex is in several printed guide books. It isn't very far from Seattle and closer places filled up. When grizzly reintroduction happens, the crowds won't be so thick.

thunderhead

thunderhead
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 11:20 am 
Crystal was closed and it was a sunny weekend. Everything was packed.

BarbE

BarbE
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 8:33 pm 
Last Monday, a week ago, first sunny day in a long time, and we pretty much had the place to ourself. An easy, scenic hike with very low avi danger. Just go on weekdays!

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 11:04 pm 
Last time I was in the Mount Si crapper, there was graffiti on the wall saying "for a good time do Hex Mountain."

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 11:40 am 
Jeff wrote:
So before casting stones at WHC, think about it. It unrealistic to expect that quiet spots will remain quiet. But some inevitably will.
Yes for sure. We met more people than almost ever on a route that is in a few thirty-ish year old ski oriented guidebooks (as well as in a snowshoe guidebook) this past Sunday. A place with a similarly avalanche-safe route despite being closer to the Cascade crest and subject to both strong east and west winds (the safety being due to moderate terrain options for the ascent). And with a LOT more parking than Hex. To give perspective, I think we saw roughly 5 or 6 other groups and when I asked a few how they'd discovered this spot one mentioned one of those two old guidebooks, another said it was just map meditation that got him there, and the one snowshoeing couple I met said they found it in the snowshoe guidebook. That said, I just did a search on Hex on WH&C and there are a LOT of hits, many for posts from Lee who started and runs the group and whose posts get a LOT of visibility and amplification via replies and likes. Including a very recent one from him and another from another poster whose post got a pile-o-likes. Could this be at least part of the reason why Hex (which was also in at least one of those two old ski guidebooks) had 43 cars and we saw 6 groups where we were? I.e. why Hex is among those that "inevitably will?"