Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Ellensburg Blue. State Gemstone?
Previous :: Next Topic  
Bootpathguy

Bootpathguy

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 5:52 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
https://www.dailyrecordnews.com/news/house-bill-in-committee-proposing-the-ellensburg-blue-agate-be/article_2172387c-b7b5-5e18-bc43-931b1aabbcd2.html

--------------
Experience is what'cha get, when you get what'cha don't want
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
Backpacker Joe
NWH Joe-Bob

Backpacker Joe

NWH Joe-Bob
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 7:38 am 
Well, there is a governors mansion in Ellensgurg.  Why not this.........

--------------
"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide."

ó Abraham Lincoln
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Sculpin

Sculpin

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 8:08 am 
It's pretty easy to find low grade Ellensburg Blue, most of it is really boring.  I've never found the good stuff, that must be where the "rare" designation comes in.

Anyone found any good stuff?  Show us pictures, I promise not to ask where it came from!

--------------
Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Reply to topic Reply with quote
RandyHiker
Snarky Member

RandyHiker

Snarky Member
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 9:03 am 
Aren't there some more important issues for the legislature to address?
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Joey
verrry senior member

Joey

verrry senior member
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 1:52 pm 
Snipped from the story:

"2020 House Bill 2757, as proposed, is to designate the Ellensburg Blue Agate as the state gem, and to move petrified wood to a designation as the state vegetative fossil."

I could say something about "state vegetative fossil[s]" but political commentary is frowned upon in these parts.
Grannyhiker

Grannyhiker

PostSat Feb 08, 2020 3:21 pm 
@Joey: no need for further comment; applies to other states, too.
lol.gif

--------------
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork

Food truck
PostSat Feb 08, 2020 5:15 pm 
I like the idea of Ellensburg blue being the new state gem.      Though Iíd like more to find some....

So what if itís not important.   There are worse things to do.

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
Sculpin

Sculpin

PostSun Feb 09, 2020 7:56 am 
Brushwork wrote:
Though Iíd like more to find some....

If you hike the top of Umtanum Ridge you can find them.  Look for areas of lithosol, you have to venture off the road.  All the ones up there that I found were somewhat milky and the color was much closer to gray with just a hint of blue.  Yard rocks, but it is still cool to find agates in basalt.

--------------
Between every two pines is a doorway to the new world. - John Muir
Slim
This space for rent

Slim

This space for rent
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 10:34 am 
I'm on board.  I love Ellensburg blues.

And while we're at it, let's make the razor clam the state clam:
https://www.myclallamcounty.com/2020/02/06/does-washington-need-a-state-clam-these-representatives-say-we-do/

--------------
"Our flapjacks sell like hotcakes"
Brushwork
Food truck

Brushwork

Food truck
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 8:47 pm 
Thank you Sculpin!   I did once find a pretty nice small EBlue, but sadly lost it.   I didnít know you could find some on Umtanum ridge, thanks!

I also found a nice small peridot in the Yakima river, thought it was glass, it was so green.   Lovely to find treasures!

--------------
When I grow up I wanna play.
Doppelganger
Gorecrow

Doppelganger

Gorecrow
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 9:33 am 
Only ever found two (maybe, you can spend all day holding those super light blue pieces up to the light hoping they will pass the bar) sad little blues for dozens of hours of scouring those hills. Did find two nice arrowheads on two separate trips though, both of them while exploring the hills under the power lines north of the Vantage Highway (N of I90, NE of town). I recall finding them in little 'dells' nestled right at the base of the foothills, and being curious about exploring the little 'dells' because they seemed like unusual features compared to the normal canyons and ravines around there. It's certainly possible that the people who dropped those arrowheads thought the same thing when they stopped to check them out, and decided to camp a while - when you see something that makes you curious, check it out! You may be rewarded.
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Ellensburg Blue. State Gemstone?
  Happy Birthday termite, Type E!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: