Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Tent city move to Exit 20 (High Point trailhead area)
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 8:09 pm 
What? You think that those places arent garbage strewn eye sores???

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
33teeth

33teeth
PostTue Jun 27, 2017 9:25 pm 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
What? You think that those places arent garbage strewn eye sores???
I didn't comment on what I think. I'm questioning what you know.

Is that a kind of beer?
AR

AR
PostWed Jun 28, 2017 9:25 pm 
...it's gonna be a short time before this ends up in Steward/History hell. Hard working/blessed people can forget it can all be taken away. In a day. You can be there.

...wait...are we just going to hang here or go hiking?
iron

iron
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 9:49 am 
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Under our WONDERFUL city leadership Seattle is turning into a GARBAGE DUMP! down.gif
this might be the first thing semi-political i agree with PBJ on. is the world ending soon?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 10:00 am 
When I revived this thread I was talking about a specific situation in a specific location which is one of the most populated hikes in the state. I had no problem when tent city 4 was hosted attached various churches in the area. That was Christian charity with supervision in the community. What I see now is a new "jungle" developing next to the closest training area with real elevation and a pleasant hiking area for families. I am very reluctant to park my car next to a hobo camp.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostFri Jun 30, 2017 8:32 pm 
iron wrote:
Backpacker Joe wrote:
Under our WONDERFUL city leadership Seattle is turning into a GARBAGE DUMP! down.gif
this might be the first thing semi-political i agree with PBJ on. is the world ending soon?
Wise guy. moon.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
AR

AR
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 2:00 pm 
Quote:
They were on some church property in Issaquah near downtown for a long time and that worked okay as far as I now, but cramming them up at High Point just doesn't seem to make sense.
Quote:
I'm sure the congregation loved having a homeless camp in their parking lot.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 2:43 pm 
AR wrote:
I'm sure the congregation loved having a homeless camp in their parking lot.
My congregation (Temple Bnai Torah) was the one of the early Eastside host congregations for Tent City 4. This was initiated by the Rabbi and fully supported by the board. There was some initial resistance from some members of the congregation that were concerned about their young children. A small number of families canceled their memberships as a result, but an larger number of new members joined as a result of the hosting. There was a lot of outrage from some neighbors and frustration that they couldn't get the city to "stop this disaster from happening". The actual 3 month stay was peaceful and without any sort of incidents. The biggest practical unexpected problem encountered was the overwhelming volume of donated food -- roughly 4 times what the TC4 residents needed -- this was dealt with by transporting excess to TC3 in Seattle. The overall result for the congregation was quite positive. Subsequently TC4 has been hosted there a number of times. That was a decade ago.

AR

AR
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 9:12 pm 
My concern is the policing of the camp. This is seriously a government priority and not one for the good willing folk that want to help. There needs to be a place where a person who comes without drugs, guns, and any other contraband can get a room and a shower in safety. It takes one incident and the Church that's just trying to help will have the pants sued off it.

Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostSat Jul 01, 2017 9:49 pm 
AR wrote:
My concern is the policing of the camp. This is seriously a government priority and not one for the good willing folk that want to help. There needs to be a place where a person who comes without drugs, guns, and any other contraband can get a room and a shower in safety. It takes one incident and the Church that's just trying to help will have the pants sued off it.
It seems you are not familiar with how Tent City operates -- please read this FAQ Excerpt:
Quote:
Q: What presence will the local Police have at the site? A: The City’s goal is to ensure public safety for all of our citizens. We pledge city resources to properly monitor and respond to issues. Local police officers will make regular, routine walk-throughs of the Tent City site so that they are familiar with the residents and the routines of camp. When necessary, police officers will conduct investigations and make arrests of those found to be in violation of criminal laws. Local Police have attended community forums and visited other Tent City locations in order to be prepared for any potential issues.. Q: What security measures does Tent City provide on its own? A: Tent City 4 reports that it seeks a positive relationship with law enforcement agencies in host cities by keeping a commitment to self-police and self-manage its residents in accordance with its Code of Conduct. The Tent City Code of Conduct prohibits alcohol, drugs, weapons, fighting, abuse of any kind, littering or disturbing neighbors. All residents must sign an agreement to abide by this code and failure to do so can be cause for immediate expulsion. Residents form an Executive Committee that is responsible for site security, resident identification and donations management. One member of the Executive Committee is on duty, awake and available 24 hours per day. Police are contacted immediately if warranted by a situation. Q: Are there background checks on Tent City residents? A: The Tent City application states that Tent City residents are required to have valid picture identification with all prospective residents checked for warrants and sex offender status by the King County Sheriff’s Department. Tent City states that people with active warrants are not allowed to stay at Tent City. Tent City also reports that Police will be notified immediately of anyone rejected due to warrant status or that has registered sex offender status.

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostMon Jul 03, 2017 6:51 pm 
AR wrote:
Hard working/blessed people can forget it can all be taken away. In a day. You can be there.
This.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 4:12 pm 
Went on a recovery hike on WT3 today. I noticed that tent city 4 is no longer there and the area seems cleaned up. Do not know if they left or were flooded out. Does anyone know, Randy?

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Randito
Snarky Member

Randito
Snarky Member
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 4:18 pm 
Malachai Constant wrote:
Went on a recovery hike on WT3 today. I noticed that tent city 4 is no longer there and the area seems cleaned up. Do not know if they left or were flooded out. Does anyone know, Randy?
Share/Wheel wrote:
Tent City 4 is currently at: Mary Queen of Peace Parish 1121-228th Ave SE Sammamish, WA 98075 (eff 1/25/20)
http://www.sharewheel.org/tent-city-4

Alpendave

Alpendave
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 8:22 am 
RandyHiker wrote:
It seems you are not familiar with how Tent City operates -- please read this FAQ Excerpt:
Quote:
Q: What presence will the local Police have at the site? A: The City’s goal is to ensure public safety for all of our citizens. We pledge city resources to properly monitor and respond to issues. Local police officers will make regular, routine walk-throughs of the Tent City site so that they are familiar with the residents and the routines of camp. When necessary, police officers will conduct investigations and make arrests of those found to be in violation of criminal laws. Local Police have attended community forums and visited other Tent City locations in order to be prepared for any potential issues.. Q: What security measures does Tent City provide on its own? A: Tent City 4 reports that it seeks a positive relationship with law enforcement agencies in host cities by keeping a commitment to self-police and self-manage its residents in accordance with its Code of Conduct. The Tent City Code of Conduct prohibits alcohol, drugs, weapons, fighting, abuse of any kind, littering or disturbing neighbors. All residents must sign an agreement to abide by this code and failure to do so can be cause for immediate expulsion. Residents form an Executive Committee that is responsible for site security, resident identification and donations management. One member of the Executive Committee is on duty, awake and available 24 hours per day. Police are contacted immediately if warranted by a situation. Q: Are there background checks on Tent City residents? A: The Tent City application states that Tent City residents are required to have valid picture identification with all prospective residents checked for warrants and sex offender status by the King County Sheriff’s Department. Tent City states that people with active warrants are not allowed to stay at Tent City. Tent City also reports that Police will be notified immediately of anyone rejected due to warrant status or that has registered sex offender status.
Thanks for posting this. Seems they are trying to make the most of an unfortunate situation

fourteen410

fourteen410
PostSun Jan 09, 2022 9:31 pm 
Tent City 4 is back at High Point.