Forum Index > Full Moon Saloon > Unanswered Movie Questions
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostSun Feb 09, 2020 6:04 pm 
The question raised on another site made me curious as to what nwhikers members might be wondering about, so I'll pose the question here as well. In far too many movies, there's always something that makes you wonder. Those questions are never answered in the movie, and we're left wondering after the final credits roll. For example: Exactly what was in that briefcase in Pulp Fiction? Now, I know that Tarantino has been asked the question, and simply dismissed it with "Oh, that was just a MacGuffin," but that simply doesn't even begin to address the question. Obviously Marcellus Wallace was willing to pay people to kill other people to get it back, so it must have been something of significant value (at least to Mr. Wallace.) So exactly what was it? There are a few who have speculated that it might have possibly been somehow related to whatever it was that was in the briefcase that was handcuffed to Dennis Weaver's arm when he got out of the car at the end of Duel, but viewers were so engrossed in the cat-and-mouse game between Weaver's Valiant and that semi truck that nobody really paid much attention to the briefcase. What's making me lose sleep at night is wondering if there's any possibility it might have somehow been connected to whatever was in the trunk of the 1964 Chevrolet Malibu in Repo Man. Yeah, yeah... I know that Leila told Otto that it was aliens, but Leila was just a dimwitted trollop and it's quite possible she was just making up some wild story there. It's also possible that Miller was really more of a genius than anyone gave him credit for, and figured out how to make that Malibu levitate all on his own. So really... what exactly was in that trunk? Another thing I've often wondered about was where Angel Eyes bought those bullets for that 1858 Remington .44 that travel in an arced trajectory? When he shoots Steven's older sun during one of the early scenes in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, he has the barrel of the gun pointed down toward the floor when it fires, but inexplicably the bullet hits the boy who's just coming down the stairs behind him. Is there any chance those bullets might have been early precursors to Arlen Specter's "magic bullet" that went around corners and made 90° turns in mid-flight? I've looked all over the web for answers to questions like these, and I'm just not having any luck at all. Feel free to offer your opinions, conjecture, wild speculation, criticisms, or let me know what sort of things puzzle you about things you've seen on the big screen for which there just don't seem to be answers.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 11:00 pm 
I wonder, if I had turned left at Albuquerque, what my life would be like today?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Bosterson

Bosterson
PostMon Feb 10, 2020 11:22 pm 
Ski wrote:
Exactly what was in that briefcase in Pulp Fiction? Now, I know that Tarantino has been asked the question, and simply dismissed it with "Oh, that was just a MacGuffin," but that simply doesn't even begin to address the question. Obviously Marcellus Wallace was willing to pay people to kill other people to get it back, so it must have been something of significant value (at least to Mr. Wallace.) So exactly what was it?
Presumably, a device to catch lions in the Scottish Highlands. (For some reason I thought it was tigers, but no, lions.) I think it's the same device in the "case" from Ronin. A very rare device, and yet quite common in certain circles.

Go! Take a gun! And a dog! Without a leash! Chop down a tree! Start a fire! Piss wherever you want! Build a cairn! A HUGE ONE! BE A REBEL! YOU ONLY LIVE ONCE! (-bootpathguy)
Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker

Brian Curtis
Trail Blazer/HiLaker
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 6:07 pm 
Ski wrote:
When he shoots Steven's older sun during one of the early scenes in The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly, he has the barrel of the gun pointed down toward the floor when it fires, but inexplicably the bullet hits the boy who's just coming down the stairs behind him.
The gun was not pointed at the floor. You can watch it here. He fires the gun at about 8:37.

that elitist from silverdale wanted to tell me that all carnes are bad--Studebaker Hoch
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 6:23 pm 
yeah.. you're right... it's pointed at the wall! lol.gif maybe the foley artist was asleep at the switch?

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?

Bedivere
Why Do Witches Burn?
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 12:37 am 
The best explanation I've seen for what's in the briefcase is as follows: "Remember the first time you were introduced to Marsellus Wallace. The first shot of him was of the back of his head, complete with band-aid. Then, remember the combination of the lock on the briefcase was 666. Then, remember that whenever anyone opened the briefcase, it glowed, and they were in amazement at how beautiful it was; they were speechless. Now, bring in some Bible knowledge, and remember that when the devil takes your soul, he takes it from the back of your head. Yep, you guessed it. What is the most beautiful thing about a person: his soul. Marsellus Wallace had sold his soul to the devil, and was trying to buy it back. The three kids in the beginning of the movie were the devil’s helpers. And remember that when the kid at the end came out of the bathroom with a “hand cannon,” Jules and Vincent were not harmed by the bullets. “God came down and stopped the bullets” because they were saving a soul. It was divine intervention."

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 12:49 am 
well... now it's beginning to make more sense!

day_hike_mike

day_hike_mike
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:56 am 
Bedivere wrote:
The best explanation I've seen for what's in the briefcase is as follows: "Remember the first time you were introduced to Marsellus Wallace. The first shot of him was of the back of his head, complete with band-aid. Then, remember the combination of the lock on the briefcase was 666. Then, remember that whenever anyone opened the briefcase, it glowed, and they were in amazement at how beautiful it was; they were speechless. Now, bring in some Bible knowledge, and remember that when the devil takes your soul, he takes it from the back of your head. Yep, you guessed it. What is the most beautiful thing about a person: his soul. Marsellus Wallace had sold his soul to the devil, and was trying to buy it back. The three kids in the beginning of the movie were the devil’s helpers. And remember that when the kid at the end came out of the bathroom with a “hand cannon,” Jules and Vincent were not harmed by the bullets. “God came down and stopped the bullets” because they were saving a soul. It was divine intervention."
Damn! Never saw that coming, but it kinda works.

Stefan

Stefan
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 11:47 am 
If Annakin Skywalker was the "chosen one" to bring balance to the force by helping to destroy all the kiddos in the temple, ie. future Jedi, and Senator Palpatine....thereby NOBODY holding the force in power....what then was the purpose of bringing Senator Palpatine back to life so he could be destroyed AGAIN by a future jedi? What was the purpose of watching Return of the Jedi with Annakin Skywalker then?

Art is an adventure.
Seventy2002

Seventy2002
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 8:23 pm 
When Shane rides off into the sunset is he alive or dead?

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 10:33 pm 
Why does Goofy (a dog) live in a house and speak English while Pluto (also a dog) lives in a dog house cannot speak and is owned by a mouse? - George Carlin

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Sore Feet

Sore Feet
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 10:41 pm 
Stefan wrote:
If Annakin Skywalker was the "chosen one" to bring balance to the force by helping to destroy all the kiddos in the temple, ie. future Jedi, and Senator Palpatine....thereby NOBODY holding the force in power....what then was the purpose of bringing Senator Palpatine back to life so he could be destroyed AGAIN by a future jedi? What was the purpose of watching Return of the Jedi with Annakin Skywalker then?
The problem here is that you're looking for logic, reason, and consistency in a story that has none, because George Lucas is a terrible writer (and an even worse director). And yet somehow, Disney managed to botch the sequels even worse than what Lucas did to the franchise on his own.

cdestroyer

cdestroyer
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 7:34 am 
why do people shooting full automatic weapons never seem to hit the enemy???

JonnyQuest

JonnyQuest
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 9:36 am 
Did (insert any number of names here, such as Butch & Sundance) make it out alive?