Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Corporate Enviromentalism, do people notice?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
WaState

WaState
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 9:02 pm 
Just kind of curious do people realize the sort of enviromentalism that does little but shove people off usage of nature resources? While protecting corporate interests. Or is most people just clueless? Like a zillion acres of forest land cut to pieces by logging while restricting access to off road vechicals "to protect the land". It would not take much effort to post many examples. Thoughts? Examples? Clueless????

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 9:07 pm 
Should be in Public Lands Stewardship Forum.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
WaState

WaState
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 9:14 pm 
Quote:
Should be in Public Lands Stewardship Forum
How many people would read my post there ? Two or three ? Interesting response. Will the clueless awake?

Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 9:34 pm 
I dont understand the question.

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!

Slugman
It’s a Slugfest!
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 9:47 pm 
“Is most people clueless?” Holy cow, learn to write a coherent sentence before posting garbage such as that first post. And please give the examples you claim exist, or sane people will know you are lying. Whoops, too late. embarassedlaugh.gif The whole concept of the thread is ignorant, dishonest nonsense. What kind of environmentalism supports massive clearcuts? This is clearly an attempt to show hypocrisy by someone who doesn’t understand the concept. Are the moderators here going to let dishonest and ignorant people destroy this forum with pathetic trash like this? Apparently yes.

WaState

WaState
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 9:53 pm 
Ok,, I did search that took about 2 minutes. https://www.hcn.org/issues/51.2/public-lands-why-wyomings-public-lands-are-locked-up Found this article about attempted land grab in Wyoming that luckily was averted. Do you really want me to dig in start to posting over and over again of such examples? Think on it.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 10:20 pm 
WaState - First of all, this subject really does belong in the Stewardship forum, not in Trail Talk. Second, perhaps I am missing something, but I do not see how this concerns hiking. The article you've cited focuses on a relatively small area of real estate (in the context of Wyoming) which is a bit north of Cheyenne. There's really not a hell of a lot out there other than antelope, jackrabbits, and sagebrush. Here and there you will find some small (often ephemeral) drainages that support gnarled old cottonwoods, but that's not "forest land" in the sense that we think of "forest" here in the Pacific Northwest - not by any stretch of the imagination. I used to drive up and down I-25 regularly and while that may be dandy ground for hunting deer and elk and antelope, it's not what one might consider a hiker's paradise. Third, the small box showing the proposed "land swap" (in the HCN article you've cited) unfortunately doesn't really make it clear who is swapping what for what. Is there something which explains what they're doing there? The entire western US is riddled with "checkerboard" land ownership, and in far too many cases it's created some problems. Unfortunately our elected officials 160 years ago didn't foresee the conflicts that would come about as a result of their putative well-intentioned (but somewhat misguided) apportioning of what was then "public" land (most of which was home to Native American tribes.) Land swap deals are intended to help resolve those issues. And while more and more private landowners who formerly allowed access to their lands, or egress to public lands through their lands, have stopped doing so, one should bear in mind that the days when they allowed access was prior to the advent of meth labs, homeless encampments, and massive garbage dumping. If I owned several hundred acres down there, I'd gate it off too. I don't blame them. So where does this "corporate environmentalism" come into play? Respectfully, your post is a bit incoherent. You might try re-phrasing the question so it makes sense. And don't mind Sluggo - clearly he's on a tear and needs somebody to attack this evening. He can attack me now. I'm used to it - he's been doing it since i first joined, and it's just as entertaining now as it was 15 years ago. wink.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
WaState

WaState
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 10:41 pm 
Mission creep. Yes of course today most land grabs do not hurt hikers, but that can change. First the easy targets then later the rest. I remember in about 2005 the powers to be wanted to make housing development In new paltz New York for big bucks on recreational land, but it was beat down and the powers to be really got mad. In any case this is a general question to trail talk forum. It is a trick thing to state the reason for a restriction to public land use for enviormentalism reasons and of course it is just a lie for corporate interests, and the interest may be only to distract enviromentalists from aggravating big business in other areas.

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 10:45 pm 
To tell the truth I do not even understand enough to make a snarky response and I am tired and have had a couple glasses of wine. Que passa

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
WaState

WaState
PostTue Feb 11, 2020 11:21 pm 
Right now the low hanging fruit for public use restrictions are off road usage. Given reality most likely off road land use will be reduced into the future. Often the excuse for this for environmental reasons. But of course anyone who has been up in the air in a plane can see endless areas of forested land, or mountainous land or barren dry lands. For corporate interests it is just more easy to get people off the land so it may be used for whatever usage and legal liability is also much less if the idiots are not out there. To go farther, the big issue of today is global warming. This of course this caused by CO2. Right? What if it is not, the recent warming is real course, but what if it is just a short term warming cycle? So that means CO2 does little to warm the planet. Impossible idea right???? Well , according to the weather cycle people a down turn in tempature will start in the next few years. If true the elites just played everyone, screaming, screaming about global warming as a distraction. Distraction from what? Other more important issues I think. Of course once the cooling kicks in,, the real sincere environmental movement is weaker, guess who wins? It is politics, it swings back a forth, today off roaders, hunters etc lose land access, a different politics tomorrow it will be the bikers, hikers turn....

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 12:04 am 
Malachai Constant wrote:
To tell the truth I do not even understand enough to make a snarky response and I am tired and have had a couple glasses of wine. Que passa
This is one of those rare instances where I am in full agreement with Malachai Constant, and although I have had no wine this evening, after trying to make sense of the last couple posts my brain is reeling. I shall therefore walk into the kitchen, pour myself a glass, and tune in to one of the fabulous videos another member brought to my attention earlier this evening, and turn it up really loud, because it makes far more sense than this conversation:

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 1:06 am 
oh and just for laughs: here's where the land swap area is: 42.1170249,-105.6285647 when you head north out of Cheyenne on I-25, you'll see an exit sign for Chugwater. their big claim to fame is "Chugwater Chili" you might want to try it on your way out to Bear Creek Road lol.gif

Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 1:17 am 
Moving to stewardship.

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 1:58 am 
Thanks, Tom. Ski, I can appreciate the occasional surf guitar interlude as much as anybody, but could you maybe keep Messer Chups posts confined to one or two topic forums? But I get your point here. doof.gif

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 6:53 am 
Seemed to me it was perfectly appropriate here, all things considered. wink.gif In other news: Roads are closed all over Luxembourg and schools might remain closed for another day due to continual violent wind and rain storms.