Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > Corporate Enviromentalism, do people notice?
 This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Previous :: Next Topic
treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!

treeswarper
Alleged Sockpuppet!
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 8:11 am 
I don't get it either. Which evil corporation is the target? Environmental corporations? Weyco? Flying over land really doesn't "fly". You need to get close to see the reprod coming up amidst everything else. Was it Light Hawk? or some environmental group publicized an aerial photo, taken in midwinter, of a portion of forest south of Randle. They pointed out that it was deforested. No trees were poking up above the snow. Those of us who had been on the ground knew that the ground was reforested and growing well with 3 to 4 foot tall trees. It was almost time for a precommercial thin. The trees were hidden by the deep snow. I imagine they got a few donations from their stunt. I often think I took the wrong career choice and should have started an environmental group. There seems to be more money in that than in actual forestry.

What's especially fun about sock puppets is that you can make each one unique and individual, so that they each have special characters. And they don't have to be human––animals and aliens are great possibilities
Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
WaState

WaState
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 8:20 am 
Ok, Here how it is going go, its more or less already a done deal. Elites and corporations now control enviromentalism. They steer movements to protect their interests and further their profits. A common set of examples. They reduce funding, the government is too broke pay for land use , temporary shut downs "to protect the land" becomes forever. Government need's money elsewhere like for more police to control the starving masses etc etc Another way is restrict to use for enviromental reasons , first get rid of off road vechical usage. then get rid of electric bikes, then eventually regular bikers as they are tearing up trails, destroying the woods. That is the set up, then you have much fewer people using the land. That is the set up for the total shut down. A economic downturn then starts the restrictions on hikers or partial land grabs for developments. Too few people now using the land, now forest clear cutting , housing developments etc. Here is the kicker for the clueless. Guess who is on the corporate payroll? Do not trust your leadership. People are easy to buy off, a few bucks will get army of bought off to work the net. First they come for the guy you hate down the street, then for your neighbor, then for your friends , then lastly for you. For the 2 guys who read this post on this section of the forums remember this term Corporate Enviromentalism

Back to top This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. Reply with quote Send private message
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 8:35 am 
I think maybe you've got a point, because when I was out walking the other day i ran into Dorothy and Toto, and shared my salami sandwich with them, so we walked over to Walmart but they didn't have any pantyhose on sale in the color I liked. The salad bar at Denny's wasn't quite as good as the one at IHOP, so we took a cab over to Tony Roma's for some ice cream. it was right after that but who should we bump into but Erich von Däniken and he confided to us that the story about the tomb cover at Palenque being an image of a spaceman was really all a put-on, but he was still collecting royalty checks from the book sales.

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
WaState

WaState
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 9:02 am 
For the clueless. Elites control the enviromental movement like 99%%% So they do operations all the time, buy people all the time. So endless operations. A good game is have only hikers use a area of land. Get public usage low as possible. Then wait, the set up is in place. So when usage is low enough usually tied to economic down turn then the land grab. Anyone who says any kind of land grab or use restriction is ok. Then it is mostly the same as them being on the payroll and they are going to go after your public land use sooner or later. When ? Economic downturns and shifts of what politics controls the government, divide and rule. Or divide and take....

WaState

WaState
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 9:56 am 
I think maybe you've got a point, because when I was out walking the other day i ran into Dorothy and Toto, and shared my salami sandwich with them, so we walked over to Walmart but they didn't have any pantyhose on sale in the color I liked. The salad bar at Denny's wasn't quite as good as the one at IHOP, so we took a cab over to Tony Roma's for some ice cream. it was right after that but who should we bump into but Erich von Däniken and he confided to us that the story about the tomb cover at Palenque being an image of a spaceman was really all a put-on, but he was still collecting royalty checks for the book sales. That is really written well. I think your really proving my point, thanks. I recently picked up a backpacker magazine and the editor was talking about certain parks being used so little and costing to much that they should be shut down. All I thought about is forest land there or potentual mining there etc etc. Obviously I will have little impact on this forum. Here is how it's going to go in the far future most likely if you want to look in my crystal ball. The western republics including the USA will fail toward third world chaos. In third world countries usually it is wide open off road motor usage with on foot usage for all areas not a housing development. Oh, for awhile the environmentalists, government etc will try to prevent this slide to totally open usage, but politics and economics of third world conditions will mostly win this battle. That is the likely far future. Of course there will be no maintaned roads trails or facilities to speak of in this future. Fewer will be out there as well, masses stuck in the cities, and if too far third world it will be like the wild west out there in the country side. If we are lucky it will only a partial slide into third world conditions, ie open usage without total third world misery with zero land use maintenance. Enjoy.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 11:58 am 
WaState wrote:
That is really written well. I think your really proving my point, thanks.
Actually, it wasn't quite grammatically correct, but my pedantic nature compelled me to correct that last sentence: it should have been "from", not "for". It's fixed now.
Kim wrote:
Last (but not least), how does this fit in with Public Lands Stewardship?
That should have been the first question, not the last. The clue to the answer to that question is: If you're driving down the road, and all four tires fall off your canoe, how many pancakes does it take to cover a doghouse? Like Rumi always says, YMMV. up.gif

"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 12:08 pm 
Ski wrote:
If you're driving down the road, and all four tires fall off your canoe, how many pancakes does it take to cover a doghouse?
Is this a real question here? It looks like every math story problem that haunted me from grade school through college, so if it’s meant to illustrate a concept, ya gotta let me know, because I think you’re actually wanting me to solve this. It’s like an article on a Catholic blog the other day that used baseball and vomiting to illustrate a point about gratuitous sex. I couldn’t get past that writing style, so while I can’t remember the entire article (I can guess though), I do remember that the author used baseball and vomit to illustrate his points. So we’re back to this: WTF are you people talking about?

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Tom
Admin

Tom
Admin
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 1:35 pm 
The clueless.

Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 1:42 pm 
Kim wrote:
WTF are you people talking about?
That's exactly what I've been trying to figure out since the first post of this thread. I'll be back in a couple days. I found some other fish to fry here. wink.gif ><((((°> ><((((°> ><((((°> ><((((°> ><((((°>

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist

Anne Elk
BrontosaurusTheorist
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 2:09 pm 
I think I understand what the OP was trying to get at when he/she started this thread, via their subsequent comment,
Quote:
...Elites and corporations now control enviromentalism. ...
I began reading about that issue years ago, ie, that large enviro groups like The Sierra Club et al had sold out - instead of flat-out opposing various corporate enviro destruction, they felt they could accomplish more through dialogue and compromise. See critique articles such as these: Green NGOs cannot take big business cash and save the planet and The nonprofit idustrial complex and the co-opting of the NGO environmental movement . WaState seems to be conflating this issue with various "restricted use" POVs of certain NGOs, and land lock-ups such as the one originally mentioned early in this thread. WaState is sensing some hypocrisy in compromising with the resource extraction industry while keeping out certain recreational use elsewhere in the name of preservation.

"There are yahoos out there. It’s why we can’t have nice things." - Tom Mahood
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 2:24 pm 
Are you the guy who was telling us about how children aren't learning to back track and need to?

Kim Brown

Kim Brown
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 2:31 pm 
O for crying out loud, I’m the dumbass. rolleyes.gif I opened the thread on page 2 and missed the entire conversation except Ski’s weather report post. Carry on.

"..living on the east side of the Sierra world be ideal - except for harsher winters and the chance of apocalyptic fires burning the whole area." Bosterson, NWHiker's marketing expert
Ski
><((((°>

Ski
><((((°>
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 7:37 pm 
Anne Elk wrote:
"I think I understand what the OP was trying to get at..."
Okay, so maybe I'm stupid, but I do not. The land swap deal in Wyoming? Look at Google Earth - I posted the GPS coordinates above. That's land that's good for nothin' other than maybe grazing a few cattle or sheep. Wyoming was part of my sales territory - it's a whole lot of nothing. Wind, rocks, high plains, antelope, jackrabbits. Only thing worthwhile near I-25 was the neon sign and the interior of the "Mint Bar" up in Sheridan. The rest of it's a mish-mash of different issues. Which one do we want to address?

neek

neek
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 8:33 pm 
Ski wrote:
The rest of it's a mish-mash of different issues. Which one do we want to address?
The one coherent bit I see is "Elites and corporations now control enviromentalism [sic]. They steer movements to protect their interests and further their profits." There's an argument to be made for that, at least for some definition of "control", and you can replace environmentalism with education, technology, healthcare, entertainment, a bunch of stuff. Interesting topic to me but probably too political and irrelevant to hiking for here.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostWed Feb 12, 2020 10:06 pm 
This thread dovetails nicely, Swix was able to get a chemical approved for their glide wax that was prohibited. I don't really see large corporations opening it controlling environmentalism, but a lot of outdoor gear companies have a sales pitch that buying their jackets and tents is preserving public land in a round about way. But it's not like Nordstrom is leading the charge to prevent extinctions or anything.