Ski
><((((>

Ski

><((((>
PostThu Feb 06, 2020 11:39 am 
Reply to topic Reply with quote
* Please see previous post *

Bernardo, on Sept. 18, 2018 in another thread wrote:
Ski, my question was whether the large amount of cougar attacks on Vancouver Island are consistent with the overhunting theory or the underhunting theory, ie overpopulation?

Ski, on Sept. 18, 2018 in another thread wrote:
That's an excellent question for which I do not have an answer.

The cougar population in Oregon was estimated to be about 200 animals in the early 1960s, and is now estimated to be over 6000. (Oregon's land mass is 98,381 square miles.)( .06 cougars per square mile )

As RumiDude pointed out above, the cougar population of Washington State is significantly less - about one-third that of Oregon - estimated to be about 2000 animals. (Washington's land mass is 71,362 square miles.)( .028 cougars per square mile )

The cougar population of Vancouver Island is estimated to be about 3500 animals. (Vancouver Island's land mass is 12,079 square miles)( .289 cougars per square mile )

Oregon outlawed the use of dogs for hunting cougar in 1994.
Washington outlawed the use of dogs for hunting cougar (and other animals) with the passage of Initiative 665 in 1996.
The Provincial Government of British Columbia allows use of hounds for hunting cougar.

There does exist the possibility that Vancouver Island, hosting arguably the highest concentration of cougars in the world, might have more cougar/human incidents simply because there are more cougars in a much smaller area.

* Cougars are one thing where I have to question whether WDFW's "management policy" is as good as it could be. *

Previous discussion thread regarding cougar attack near Mt. Hood

--------------
"I shall wear white flannel trousers, and walk upon the beach. 
I have heard the mermaids singing, each to each."
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((>

Ski

><((((>
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 1:06 pm 
Wednesday February 12, 2020 15:10 PST

NEWS RELEASE

Commission approves forest restorations, Willapa Bay policy guidance, and hears updates on hatchery reform and Grays Harbor salmon policy

OLYMPIA The Washington Fish and Wildlife Commission approved continued implementation of the Willapa Bay Salmon Management Policy for 2019 brood year fall Chinook hatchery releases and 2020 fishery management objectives and measures at their Feb. 7-8 meeting.  The Commission also approved forest restoration thinning projects across 1,200 acres in Oak Creek and Blue Mountain wildlife areas.

The Commission discussed and heard public comment on several topics that will move forward for actions at later dates. These spanned 14 possible future land transactions, Grays Harbor salmon management policy, sturgeon status in the Lower Columbia River, and the latest in hatchery science.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) manages 80 hatchery facilities and 159 hatchery programs across the state. Given the agencys roles in conservation and fishing access, the Commission will spend time at their March meeting reviewing WDFWs progress toward implementing the current hatchery reform policy, designed to  advance the conservation and recovery of wild salmon and steelhead.

The Commission further discussed next steps in the Columbia River policy review and directed WDFW to plan a review of current hunting contest rules. The Commission also heard about backyard wildlife sanctuary and pollinator programs.

More information is available online at wdfw.wa.gov/about/commission/meetings .

The Commission is a citizen panel appointed by the governor to set policy for the WDFW.

-WDFW-

--------------
View user's profile Search for posts by this user Send private message Send e-mail Reply to topic Reply with quote
Ski
><((((>

Ski

><((((>
PostTue Feb 18, 2020 6:15 pm 
Tuesday February 18, 2020 16:02 PST

WDFW NEWS RELEASE

WDFW uses drone to study predators and prey in wild lands of Stevens and Pend Oreille counties

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife (WDFW) and collaborating partners will fly a drone over northeast Washington wild lands during the week starting February 16.

WDFW and University of Washington biologists will use the drone to film landscapes and work sites associated with the Predator-Prey Project, a five-year research effort that began in the winter of 2016-17. Researchers working with the project are studying the impact to ungulates (mule deer, white-tailed deer, and elk) from wolves and other carnivores such as cougars, bobcats, and coyotes.

Using a drone for this work is less risky and less expensive than filming from conventional aircraft. Video taken by the drone will be used in an education-outreach film, available in late 2020, that will describe the data collection process, and how the data will inform wildlife management decisions.

Drone flights will take place in Game Management Units 117 and 121 in Stevens and Pend Oreille counties. Exact locations, flight times and days will be dictated by weather conditions and animal distributions. The flights will take place mostly on public land. Drone pilots will avoid private land and human habitation when possible.

The Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife is the state agency tasked with preserving, protecting and perpetuating fish, wildlife and ecosystems, while providing sustainable fishing, hunting, and other recreation opportunities.

-WDFW-

--------------
  Display:     All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Forum Index > Public Lands Stewardship > WDFW News Releases
  Happy Birthday termite, Type E!
Jump to:   
Search this topic: