Forum Index > Trail Talk > Help with some suggestions for this summer
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 4:05 pm 
olderthanIusedtobe wrote:
80skeys wrote:
What's the rain situation in the Olympics in August? Is it something that's like constant rain every day all day, or is it clear, or ...?
It potentially can rain any time of year in the Olympics or Cascades, but summers are generally fairly dry. Cloudy days vs. clear and sunny is another issue altogether.
What about wind?

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 4:10 pm 
kiliki wrote:
September after Labor Day is a great time to hike. The weather is still generally good. The later you go in the month the more chance you have for fall (cool, rainy) weather. You aren't going to be snowbound in September. Sure some places may see some flurries, but nothing substantial. There are fewer people, fewer bugs, less wildfire smoke, and almost no chance of a heat wave. For a person that doesn't want to be hot and doesn't want crowds, to me that rules August out entirely.
Ok this is excellent information all around. When you say no snow are you referring to Washington state exclusively? The past few summers I've been taking my nephews out to Idaho in August, having read somewhere that Septembers can get quite snowy without warning there. But this year, I think I'm going to take your advice and plan for September. First or second week. Someone else said it's not rainy in the Olympics in September, so I'll consider this as an option. I'm also considering the northern portion of Gospel Hump in Idaho which seems to mostly fit my criteria.

olderthanIusedtobe

olderthanIusedtobe
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 6:21 pm 
80skeys wrote:
What about wind?
That probably varies quite a bit by locale. Like rain it can happen at any time but I don't think the mountains in Washington are particularly known for frequent strong winds.

80skeys

80skeys
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 7:24 pm 
The Seven Lakes loop in the Olympics looks nice and I'm still interested in Gospel Hump in Idaho, so maybe I'll try for two trips this summer. Olympics in September and Gospel Hump in July. Anyone familiar with Idaho here? What we might expect in terms of weather for Gospel Hump wilderness in July?

kiliki

kiliki
PostThu Feb 13, 2020 8:08 pm 
80skeys wrote:
kiliki wrote:
September after Labor Day is a great time to hike. The weather is still generally good. The later you go in the month the more chance you have for fall (cool, rainy) weather. You aren't going to be snowbound in September. Sure some places may see some flurries, but nothing substantial. There are fewer people, fewer bugs, less wildfire smoke, and almost no chance of a heat wave. For a person that doesn't want to be hot and doesn't want crowds, to me that rules August out entirely.
Ok this is excellent information all around. When you say no snow are you referring to Washington state exclusively? The past few summers I've been taking my nephews out to Idaho in August, having read somewhere that Septembers can get quite snowy without warning there. But this year, I think I'm going to take your advice and plan for September. First or second week. Someone else said it's not rainy in the Olympics in September, so I'll consider this as an option. I'm also considering the northern portion of Gospel Hump in Idaho which seems to mostly fit my criteria.
Yes my my post is just about Washington state. And while I would never claim to make any kind of guarantee about the weather, I feel comfortable telling you that you should not have to worry about snow through mid-September. You never know about rain of course. Be aware that Labor Day is quite late this year. The 7th.

80skeys

80skeys
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:41 pm 
kiliki wrote:
Be aware that Labor Day is quite late this year. The 7th.
I'm planning for mid-September. Looks like there's a quota for permits so I plan to call the Forest Service next week and reserve the permits.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 6:03 pm 
I've been snowed on in July and hailed on in August, both at high elevation. The snow melted when it hit the ground, the hail accumulated a fraction of a millimeter. We have a mild climate and it's just not cold enough yet in September for snow to be a problem in most of the places people hike. The ground itself is too warm for snow to stick. I'd go earlier in the month though.