Forum Index > Trail Talk > Avalanche Victims Are Trending Older
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
gb

gb
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 11:07 am 
[quote="Pahoehoe"]Just bury your heads in the sand and tell yourselves you are more experienced, smarter, stronger, better skiers, and make better decisions than those that die./quote] Don't have clue who you are referring to here?
Quote:
Remember Monica? Franklin? The leavenworth guys? Riley?
The first two were cornice collapses, don't know who "the leavenworth guys" were or who Riley was. But you could look up all of these accidents either at NWAC or at the American Avalanche Association accident reports. People make mistakes; those mistakes may be small and you may get unlucky or they may have been quite obvious - just look at the reports. https://www.nwac.us/accidents/accident-reports/

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RumiDude
Marmota olympus

RumiDude
Marmota olympus
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 11:30 am 
Remember Jimmy? Walter? Richard? Rebecca? They, and tens of thousands others like them, are the people that have made good decisions and survived backcountry travel in avalanche terrain. Like many other recreational pursuits, there are all sorts of hazards and their associated risks involved in backcountry travel in avalanche terrain. But despite the hysteria some propagate, it's NOT Russian roulette. Not even close. Rumi

"This is my Indian summer ... I'm far more dangerous now, because I don't care at all."
Pahoehoe

Pahoehoe
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 1:47 pm 
Good decisions or luck when the outcome is good. Bad decisions or luck when the outcome is bad. The death rate for snow safety/avalanche forecasters would be unacceptable in any other industry.

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 2:13 pm 
Like underwater welders for example. hmmm.gif

Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:21 pm 
Anyone have an educated guess about avy potential at the Sauk Mountain trailhead? It's been a while since I've been up there. I remember a great view, and a lot of open meadow.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 11:47 am 
Cyclopath wrote:
Anyone have an educated guess about avy potential at the Sauk Mountain trailhead? It's been a while since I've been up there. I remember a great view, and a lot of open meadow.
The parking area itself is on a bit of a point below a rib which may help explain why some trees around it have survived slides there. However the road approaching it on that final switchback is wide open and directly below a moderately long and fairly open steep slope. I haven't done the actual avalanche runout math for that bit of road but my quick guess is that it's a risky spot when naturally triggered avalanches are possible/probable on the very steep west slope above there.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 12:32 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
Just bury your heads in the sand and tell yourselves you are more experienced, smarter, stronger, better skiers, and make better decisions than those that die. Better looking, too!
lol.gif That's right - don't address any of the actual content presented. Use emotionally charged attacks on others - content free but often keeps the discussion going in those tight little circles! Well done.

joker
seeker

joker
seeker
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 12:39 pm 
Pahoehoe wrote:
The death rate for snow safety/avalanche forecasters would be unacceptable in any other industry.
I'm curious - what is that death rate?