Forum Index > Trail Talk > On to the Next Phase
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 4:21 pm 
I've been on NWHikers since 2007 and thought it appropriate to share some things with my now in force retirement. My wife and I are frantically packing up, donating, selling and cleaning out our accumulated 33 years of stuff....THE PURGE....and putting what's left in storage. We are finishing up the renovations on our house to put on the market by the end of March. We will also be selling our two cars and truck, to be completely unencumbered for extended travel. In April we leave for Europe, returning to the states in May for a niece's wedding. We will be back here in the Seattle area June/July, then my daughter and I are off for Kilimanjaro in August and my wife and I will stay in Europe until the Holidays. Our thoughts have always been to get at it while we can; we have no upcoming kid marriages or grandkids, and are lucky with good health. We have yet to plan 2021. I have retired after 38 years of flying....T-41, T-37, T-38, C-141B, BAE-146, B-737-300/400/500, B-757-200, B-767-200/300, B-777-200, B-787-8/-9. You can see from this graphic the "silly" things I did to celebrate turning 65. I did a short blog post on this also.
Turning 65 poster3
Turning 65 poster3
I will remain a contributing member of this forum, with probably trip reports from things I'll be doing overseas. I have a buddy who has bid vacation in July just to do the Wonderland, so I'll probably be doing #32 and perhaps #33 as a fastpack. I have spent considerable time consolidating equipment to a minimal travel kit for Europe, like one pack, one pair of shoes etc. This experiment will be interesting I think, paring down to the bare bones. I'll probably post in the future about this and how it works for biking and hiking overseas. Guess I'll save the skiing for here, at least for this coming year. Thanks for reading.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
lookout bob
WTA proponent.....

lookout bob
WTA proponent.....
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:05 pm 
Best of luck to you Williswall! Now who will do all those Mt Rainier reports? I hope you and your wife have safe fulfilling travels. Many alohas!!! cool.gif

"Altitude is its own reward" John Jerome ( from "On Mountains")
stever

stever
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 5:17 pm 
From one Steve to another best wishes. I pulled the plug on my insurance career last year at age 60 and have not looked back. I have been pleasantly surprised at how busy I have been in retirement with tons of time to hike among other things. I know you will enjoy it. I echo what Lookout Bob says about your Mt Rainier reports, they were something I always looked forward to. As for you I hope I don't embarrass you by saying this but you have been an inspiration to me with all of your activity. I hope to stay halfway active as you are. All the best. SR

ChinookPass

ChinookPass
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 7:05 pm 
Awesome! Congrats! Many adventures and good health to you and your wife.

RichP

RichP
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 7:50 pm 
Happy adventuring and looking forward to seeing where you go. smile.gif

awilsondc

awilsondc
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 8:21 pm 
Congratulations!!! Enjoy your retirement!

Malachai Constant

Malachai Constant
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 9:09 pm 
Congratulations we have been retired since 2014 and love it. Overseas and out of state thru hiking mostly.

"You do not laugh when you look at the mountains, or when you look at the sea." Lafcadio Hearn
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostFri Feb 14, 2020 10:41 pm 
I've already loved your Rainier photos and hearing about the adventures that go with them. I hope you keep posting and broaden our horizons.

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker

Backpacker Joe
Blind Hiker
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 6:23 am 
Congrats Willis. Always remember, real airplanes have the nose wheel in the tail where they belong! hockeygrin.gif

"If destruction be our lot we must ourselves be its author and finisher. As a nation of freemen we must live through all time or die by suicide." — Abraham Lincoln
Brushbuffalo

Location: there earlier, here now, somewhere later... Bellingham in between
Brushbuffalo
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 2:29 pm 
Steve, I agree with many who find your detailed accounts and your exquisite photos to be inspirational and very useful, especially regarding anything about MRNP. It was great fun to finally get out with you when we hiked Crystal Peak and to snowy Summerland. You will surely enjoy retirement! Your 'silly 65 list' of physical tests is pretty cool...and hard! I wonder which of them I would fall short of in my 72nd year. At least one parameter would be easier ( more time), but most would be harder when subbing 72 for 65 ( more weight/ distance/ reps). One way to find out! winksmile.gif

Passing rocks and trees like they were standing still
grannyhiker

grannyhiker
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 2:40 pm 
Congratulations on retirement! Enjoy! Your program is similar to what I did my first 15 post-retirement years. Eventually (for me it was after my 80th birthday) there comes a time when such an active program is no longer physically possible, so I suggest you at least contemplate that time in your planning. I didn't and am currently scrambling.

May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view.--E.Abbey
williswall
poser

williswall
poser
PostSat Feb 15, 2020 3:40 pm 
Grannyhiker wrote:
Eventually (for me it was after my 80th birthday) there comes a time when such an active program is no longer physically possible, so I suggest you at least contemplate that time in your planning.
I/we have....I plan to camp out in the Crystal parking lot and ski free every day. But yes, we have thought about the phase after turning 75-80 for sure.

I desire medium danger williswall.com
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 10:12 am 
Congratulations..and inspire us forward!

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams
Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 10:12 am 
Congratulations..and inspire us forward!

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams