Forum Index > Trail Talk > Pargeter maps
 Reply to topic
Previous :: Next Topic
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 5:56 pm 
Anybody know if these are still available anywhere? I found plenty of info about them and lots of pictures of the maps online, but nowhere to buy any. I donated some furniture recently and didn't realize my North Cascades maps were in it. I've got other maps, but these are fun to look at and reminisce.

Back to top Reply to topic Reply with quote Send private message
RodF

RodF
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 7:28 pm 
Metsker Maps https://www.metskers.com/239613/products/North-Central-Cascades-by-Pargeter.html

"of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt" - John Muir "the wild is not the opposite of cultivated. It is the opposite of the captivated” - Vandana Shiva
Cyclopath
Faster than light

Cyclopath
Faster than light
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 7:49 pm 
Thanks! 🙂 I had it in my head somehow that these went out of print and there might be a few left in a warehouse somewhere. This is much better.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostSun Feb 16, 2020 10:52 pm 
Out of stock - no longer available. Pargeter family stopped producing them, so Metsker's can no longer get them. Sad. Sorry you missed out when I gave mine away.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
Dharmabum

Dharmabum
PostThu Apr 09, 2020 8:10 am 
InFlight
coated in DEET

InFlight
coated in DEET
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 11:54 am 
Update to a old thread. I discovered that I have an R.A. Parageter map of the Olympics, 1988. Not sure home many different maps area were produced.

“I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...” ― Henry David Thoreau
Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 2:07 pm 
InFlight wrote:
Update to a old thread. I discovered that I have an R.A. Parageter map of the Olympics, 1988. Not sure home many different maps area were produced.
There were 3 for the North Cascades (East, Central, and West), plus one for the Olympics, but this obe for the Olys looks different, so there may be others I don't know about.

Tomorrow's not promised to anyone, so be bold, scare yourself, attempt something with no guarantee of success. You'll be amazed at what you can achieve. -Olive McGloin
bk

bk
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 5:51 pm 
As Gwen said, they're no longer readily available. The recent history is:
[b:a66dd1b879]North Cascades West[/b:a66dd1b879]
North Cascades West
[b:a66dd1b879]North Central Cascades[/b:a66dd1b879]
North Central Cascades
[b:a66dd1b879]North Cascades East[/b:a66dd1b879]
North Cascades East
[b:a66dd1b879]Olympic Mountains[/b:a66dd1b879]
Olympic Mountains
[b:a66dd1b879]Olympic Peaks[/b:a66dd1b879]
Olympic Peaks
[b:a66dd1b879]Northwest Passage[/b:a66dd1b879]
Northwest Passage
[b:a66dd1b879]Puget Sound[/b:a66dd1b879]
Puget Sound
[b:a66dd1b879]San Juan Islands[/b:a66dd1b879]
San Juan Islands
[b:a66dd1b879]Gold[/b:a66dd1b879] (not oblique; flat...this map is the odd-one out)
Gold (not oblique; flat...this map is the odd-one out)
WayBack screenshot showing his photo.
- - - - - - - - - The B.C.-based panorama-map.com site noted above has a nice (undated) biography, copied below. The rest of this post, below, is a copy of their bio, with some line breaks added. Richard Arnold Pargeter didn't formally study the precise art form of panoramic illustration. He somewhat fell into it and developed his own style. There were no classes for the craft in his Bremerton, Washington locale, or anywhere else known to him. Certainly not at the town's Olympic College where he was employed as assistant to the art department's director. But he knew how to draw and illustrate with good clarity. He was a distance runner in college: and hiked and climbed with friends in Washington's beautiful Olympic Mountains. It was at Olympic College that he met George W. Martin, college registrar and leader of the mountaineering and rescue and survival classes. Martin wanted a map for use in the mountain classes and asked Pargeter, a climber and artist, if he could produce such a map. Not knowing the first thing about map making, Pargeter said "Sure, I'll do it." As we all know, ignorance is bliss. But we all know that there have always been vast, but successful projects started with half-vast ideas. In six months the map(?) was done(for), as Pargeter was drafted into the U.S. army. Martin handled the printing coordination and marketing. Ugly as this map(?) was, it was an immediate best seller locally and proved to be the basis for Pargeter's life's work. Later, he went back and remade the map based an greater learning curve. Tens of thousands of these maps have been sold over the years. All Pargeter's maps are true oblique projections. No planimetrics. All, but the pre-color-separated Olympic map have been full-color halftone shaded relief illustrations rendered in acrylics and a very fine brush. The renderings are based on U.S.G.S. topo quads with mountain "facial features" derived from aerial oblique angle photos taken by Pargeter. His other obliques are:
  • The North Central Cascades;
  • North Cascades West;
  • North Cascades East;
  • San Juan Islands;
  • Puget Sound Country and
  • Washington's Northwest Passages.
Pargeter's maps are quite a bit more than attractive wall decorations. They are recognized backcountry travel aides showing roads that lead to trail heads, trail routes, mileages, elevations, lakes, peaks, et cetera. If "a picture is really worth a thousand words," then one should ponder the additional value of a picture with a thousand words imprinted upon it. The combination is a tremendous improvement. Isn't it? Richard A. Pargeter Illustrator and Publisher Specializing in unique and attractive pictorial relief maps, panoramas and cards.

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month

Gwen
LO Girl-of-the-Month
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 6:06 pm 
I had forgotten about the Northwest Passage, Puget Sound and San Juans. They weren't as popular as the mountain maps. When Richard died, as mentioned, the grandkids took over with a reprint. But Diane never really wanted to be in the map business, and Lucas seemed to struggle to keep it together. One day he'd be promising anther reprint and order fulfillment, then it would be months before any contact could be made. Eventually we (Metskers) just gave up and considered the Parageter maps out of print. So sad, they really were lovely maps, and useful to boot! Thanks for posting that bio!

Sallie4jo

Sallie4jo
PostTue Jun 01, 2021 8:37 pm 
I cherish the central cascades map...was great to pull together many a backpacking trip. Still have my torn and tattered map. I still love maps.

I choose to live in a landscape of hope. Terry Tempest Williams